Piltzing it!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rx7man

Cattle Rubbing Post
Reaction score
Well... I guess I'm going to see if Piltz deserves any credit...

A HUGE fir tree came down across my irrgation line in a windstorm last week, and it's about 40" DBH.. unfortunately is terribly bent and twisted so it's not good for anything except firewood..
So my neighbor who's got the pile of 2100's for me to go through and make a couple runners, one of which I'll keep, has a Windsor speed tip 32" bar (111DL) that's brand new I'll probably just buy off him.. or trade for hay. I got a loop of Stihl RS skiptooth made for it.. and it's sitting on the 61.. well.. the 277 Manhattan project saw... it handled the 24" full comp with authority, so I think I can get away with it.. might take a bit a light touch, but it should get the job done. Unlike Piltz, I would like to put a 7 pin sprocket on it, but the clutch has a solid mount 8 pin spur on it..

Here's the saw.. when holding it by the handle it angles downward about 30*... not exactly what I'd call balanced, but I'll suffer it. The bar is brand new, but it looks at least 10 years old...

20151010_153731sm.jpg

And here's the tree.. there's not much to get a reference of how big it really is.. Next time I go up I'll put the saw on top of it

IMG_0704.JPG IMG_0702.JPG IMG_0710.JPG

And you can see my blown 4" irrigation line there... what you don't see is how it *just* didn't quite squash my 7" line.. it might have ovaled it a little... it's going to be tricky getting it out of there without doing more damage to it.IMG_0708.JPG

Last thing you don't see is the wasp nest the tree fell on.. I got about 5 stings when I went to check it out.. it was in an old stump there.. I was LIVID... I got 2 stings on the back of the neck, one down my arse crack, and one on my knee.. some were like sewing machine stitches though. I got even with them.. I put my beekeeping mask on and doused them with diesel and lit them up! I got the last laugh there!

Yes, that is a LOT of tree up there.. I managed to cut a few rounds where it crosses the road without pinching the bar.. I left a couple of the big branches on it to stabilize it.. now that I've got a couple rounds cut (they're wedged in place still) I think our little JD350B will be able to pull it sideways and I'll let it come down before I fiddle with it any more.. if it doesn't do it, my next door neighbor has a line skidder. I've also got about 700' of 5/8th cable and snatch blocks.. I've uprighted a flopped Allis HD6 with the JD350 before, so a little ingenuity and MacGyvering and I think I can get it to a point it's safe to work around.

Damn loop of chain was $50. If you hold the saw by the brake handle it's actually perfectly balanced! A 32" bar is certainly a different animal than a 24!

Damn loop of chain was $50. If you hold the saw by the brake handle it's actually perfectly balanced! A 32" bar is certainly a different animal than a 24!
I paid 30Euro, ~35USD, for my 36" 115DL 3/8" full comp chisel Carlton chain - 50$ for a 32" chain seems a bit hefty!? :confused:

When I test fitted my 36" bar on my PS-7900 for the first time I was like "Holy ****, maybe I over did it!" , when I used the 36" for the first time I just thought "I won't be running my saw all day long with this bar on!". :p
I am used to a 20" setup, so the bar size gap/difference is even bigger then in Your case.

Stay safe removing that tree, pulling it down is a smart choice! :)

Biggest thing is to make sure you keep the bar oiled. May have to lift and "piss rev" it mid cut to make sure you keep it slick and cool.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I don't know about only firewood. It looks like you have a really good 8-10 foot section to mill up which at that diameter will make a nice little unit of lumber.

I would have 'shopped around', but it's a long weekend here for everyone except me... I plan on doing some cutting tomorrow. $26 USD is about $32.50 CAD, and we don't get free shipping in most cases here, so we're stuck with taking it up the arse. Honestly I will someday buy a full roll and be set for a decade or two.
This was a 115DL chain cut down by 4 links to 111.. its 34" from the end of the slot to the tip of the bar.

Jim, if I needed a beam or a post, it could work, but this tree has about 3 turns of twist in it if its like the other trees in the area

Yes, that is a LOT of tree up there.. I managed to cut a few rounds where it crosses the road without pinching the bar.. I left a couple of the big branches on it to stabilize it.. now that I've got a couple rounds cut (they're wedged in place still) I think our little JD350B will be able to pull it sideways and I'll let it come down before I fiddle with it any more.. if it doesn't do it, my next door neighbor has a line skidder. I've also got about 700' of 5/8th cable and snatch blocks.. I've uprighted a flopped Allis HD6 with the JD350 before, so a little ingenuity and MacGyvering and I think I can get it to a point it's safe to work around.

I know this is an old thread, but now in 2017 its 50c a driver.An old stihl dealer sold me a full roll of 33rs
skip for 150.00 last month

A friend fitted a long bar to one of is saws although the saw cut OK he moaned /groaned about balance his SIL came up with a cycle Tri bar extension arm with a bit of fiddlingiwas fixed to the wrap handle facing forward the left hand could the be moved forward to obtain balance he's now wearing an ear/ear grin

Thinking about Piltzing my Super 2, think a 28" bar and chain would do nicely...
I just picked up a super 2 on friday actually ... nice little 'one hander' kind of saw

come see me when your thru here Effrom. I,m going to put the 090s on trading post
this fall .it seems theres renewed interest these days,cheers
I do want to make it out that way again.. maybe this fall I'll take a long weekend off.. October sometime

Latest posts

Back