pinched bar fix ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roncoinc

Official Stihl Disser
Reaction score
OK,dont ask why...
tree went wrong way and i had to take the saw off the bar and fell the tree with another saw..
now the bar is pinched enough in some spots i have to push the chain into the groove with my fingers and it wont rotate by hand..so only a "little" pinched..i was thinking oil it good and run it ?? somehow that dont sit well with me but hammering a chisel in dont either..probly four spots two inches long on a 20 in bar..i did a search and got tired of looking at so many posts without a good answer...so any suggestions ??
my helper thot it really funny tree went wrong way but found out why i always clear an escape route !! thot impression of bar in wood was way cool too !!

A pic would help..I'm thinking you've got the classic one-side fold........if this is the case,the bar is not likely to cut straight again.

Always worth the try to run an old chain with lots of lube and see if you can get it spinning,then see if it cuts.

A pic wouldnt really show anything..close inspection by eye shows nothing..sight down the bar,accross the bar,,etc..
bar LOOKS perfect but like i said four spots i have to push the chain in but thats enough it wont rotate freely..would run no problem i think if i put power to it but brand new bar would like to be carefull.
i was thinking of taking a link with lube and tapping it back and forth a couple of times to see what happened....
just tried putting two links in the tight spots and i can pull them through by hand not to bad dry so this is not super seriouse..so maybe just lots of oil and run it ??

Chain bar repair can fix you up. www.chainbar.com They are VERY reasonably priced and a pleasure to deal with on the phone. I just sent them a GB ti bar that I bent. Got quoted $10-15$ and it would be straitened, reground and trued. It will be a new bar.

Your welcome. I couldn't believe it either. They can change the gauge of your bar as well. Only bad side is that they are on the west coast. Even so the work plus shipping is WAY less than the cost of a new pro bar.

Big Flat Screwdriver

I had similar situation.

I used a big flat screw driver and a small rubber coated hummer (gently and little by little with testing with chain), and it worked well.

You also should check the chain (drive links), if the one you are testing is the one pinched with the bar, some drive links may be slightly bent.

Thank you.
Noko

Back