Pine firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WestMIFirewood

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I can get my hands on some pine, and though I wouldn't be intrested in it for using in a wood burner, I thought about picking it up to sell as fireplace wood. I believe I read that softwoods like pine give off a better flame, for those that may like a night in front of the fireplace and don't care about the heat value. Wasn't sure about the credited issue though. I would think if it was properly seasoned (blocked, split, stacked) now for sale next winter it should be ok.

Has anyone taken that approach before, selling fireplace wood? I would probably sell in half face increments.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

I feel like pine might snap and pop too much for a fireplace, but I usually burn some in the stove and have no complaints. Just a little more care goes into seasoning and burning it. I havnt seen any real creosote problems either, will be interesting to hear some other opinions, I always love the debates about burning pine!

Hope I contributed something!

Personally, I wouldn't burn pine in an open fireplace. It pops and cracks too much for my liking. I have no problem burning pine in my woodstove when its dry and I can tend to it to keep it burning nice and hot...

Pine is what I prefer for an outside fire on a 'chilly' summer evening. Good light, easy burn, and easy to throw on just enough wood when you need it. Well-seasoned is great for the smoke problem. If I was looking to buy a bundle of campfire wood, mostly pine and a few medium woods would be ideal.

i use a stick of DRIED pine to get my FP going. mostly its for the outside ,like has been said,quick,hot ,crackling fire ,that wont burn all night.

dont burn green pine or any green wood in an inside fireplace,thats where most of your creosolt buildup will come from.

Conceled

The only way I would use pine indoors would be to have it in a concealed stove. It pops and crack too much to be real safe. I dont even burn it in my outdoor firepit.

I am surrounded by pine because it is grown and harvested here as a crop. Even though I have a bunch, I do not burn it, except useing heart pine as a starter.

You're up there in west Olive and not too far from a bunch of camp grounds.

Bundled pine would probably go pretty good once the Fips and Fudgies get here in late May.

Talk to the gas station owners and the mom and pop quick stops, and see if they aren't interested in buying bundles for resale.
They make a killing off of 'em around here.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Thanks guys, didn't consider the snap, crackle, and pop factor. Campfire wood is a good call.

What would be the ideal "fireplace" wood? Looking for the big flame that doesn't burn all night.

Pine is great for kindling and for bonfires, but bad for fireplaces. I have burn holes in my rug to prove it; yes, I should probably buy a new rug at some point, and this is proof to everybody out there that "free" wood isn't always free.

I burn 100% fireplace, no stove/boiler/insert/etc., and routinely burn 10-15 hour days, each day, on the weekend, enough that my chimney brick (main floor, down into basement, and up through the 2nd level) and surrounding plaster walls are still kicking out heat a day or two later. Over the past few years, based upon what I can get my hands on locally, I've made a bit of a study of what works for fireplace use and what does not. Below are some observations.

The good wood/bad wood charts that apply to stoves do not apply equally to fireplaces, especially for "ambiance" fires where you aren't building up a full coal bed. I rarely burn these short-duration fires, but I keep this in mind when sending friends/neighbors home with a bundle of wood for an after-dinner fire or something like that. There is also the consideration of what sort of fire starting procedure the fireplace operator is going to use. My experience has been that most occasional fireplace users don't have wood that is dry enough to light easily, and they then struggle to get things going, and this has to be a consideration in terms of wood species and split sizes if you're selling to this market, or you'll end up with unhappy customers. Sure you or I could get the wood going in nothing flat, but that's because we know what we're doing. Not everybody does, and this has to be kept in mind if you're aiming to sell for fireplace folks.

-I have found that catalpa, properly seasoned, makes a surprisingly good ambiance fireplace wood - cheery flame, light and easy to handle, burns down within a reasonable time. This surprised me, since everybody said it was rubbish and stunk like piss when burned. It goes quickly, though, and puts off very little heat.

-White oak, honey locust, paper birch, and walnut do not make particularly good fireplace woods - it is hard to get them dry enough, especially the larger chunks, for hiss-free fireplace burning. They work fine when burned with other stuff, or when split smaller, or where you have a good coal bed to quickly drive out the h2o that didn't come out when drying outdoors.

-Ash is very good, and would be the perfect fireplace wood hands-down except that it does pop and throw crap from time to time. The popping tends to be more frequent than the spark/debris throwing, though. My wife, who is a light sleeper, gets mad as hell when I put ash on the fire after she goes to bed.

-Red oak, hard maple, and soft maple tend to work well when properly dried. If you get it really good-n-dry, then you're golden with these, and can probably light them up right off your Zippo.

-Cherry is good, especially split small, otherwise the last good size chunk of cherry that goes in on the fire tends not to burn down to powdery ash as easily as other species.

-Hickory is a good fireplace wood, but its BTU greatness may be wasted on the average fireplace user and its flame isn't superb.

-Cottonwood is fine if you burn it at the right time, when it's dry and before it goes punky.

-Willow (weeping) is never good. For any purpose.

-Black locust seems to do pretty well if split small or if mixed with other hardwoods.

-Fruit woods burn well and with a decent flame if dried completely.

-Invasive species wood - buckthorn and ailanthus, for example - are bad alone, but will burn fine with a mix of other species. You could sneak some of this into an ambiance fireplace wood bundle and be fine.

-Elm is fine once it gets going, but it takes some skill to do and doesn't make great flames.

-I still haven't been able to source any beech, gum, or sycamore to test.

Angus_At_Work_01.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks guys, didn't consider the snap, crackle, and pop factor. Campfire wood is a good call.

What would be the ideal "fireplace" wood? Looking for the big flame that doesn't burn all night.

If you just want something that will get nice flames you might try poplar or soft maple, most of the lighter hardwoods. They won't do as much popping and sparking as the conifers. Cherry is also pretty nice fireplace wood. Most of the fruit trees make nice fireplace wood, people like the aroma, but they are long-lasting.

Talking about selling bundles, I would think real pretty white splits of ash (keep the outside with the bark on splits for yourself) would be nice in a fireplace, burning or sitting in the wood basket, and for small intact logs/rounds, birch.

Fireplace wood is as much for looks as anything else.

Ash and Popular

As Zogger said Ash is a great fireplace wood all my customers like pretty flame, easy of lighting, very light, burns up in a couple hour, not much ash, but always keep screen up burning any kind of wood. I like Ash and Popular because it is plentiful, drys quick, splits easy, your hard rock burners won't fool with it so I get a lot free. No wood is perfect they all have draw backs.

Latest posts

Back