Pine tree ID

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I remember learning that red pine has two needles per fascicle, but I am pretty certain I don't remember how to spell fascicle.
That's the cluster that uncle Moustache says there are three needles in.

Loblolly Pine, the tree grows at a fast rate, you can tell how well tree growth is by the bark. A course bark with large cracks indicates good growth. When the bark has small cracks and fine bark it means the tree has reached maturity, isn't getting proper nutrients, or the forest needs thinning. Also when walking a forest these are some of the things one looks for in determining proper management. In pine plantation one looks at stem (tree) spacing, when the branches from one row starts touching another row its time to thin because if you don't it will retard sun light and retard growth of the tree. You also want to see second growth under the trees, this lets you know sun light is reaching the forest floor. You wouldn't want to thin to much because this would cause the trees to limb out and retard upward growth.

Latest posts

Back