Pine

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ilovewood8

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have about 2 cords of pine wood cut and split and i dont no wut to do with it, can i burn pine in a wood stove?

Pine burns fast and creates soot (more then most other wood) but if seasoned is not to bad, I usually mix a little in with my other stuff (oak, maple, apple, etc).

If I remember right my cousin out west said he cleans his chimney 1 time a month when burning pine. I my self burned quite a bit of pine in a fireplace several years ago and had at least 2 hot chimney fires. I use little now and mostly for kindling. If you burn pine I would say at least check your chimney after using it for a few weeks and run a brush through it at regular intervals to avoid hot chimney fires.

I burn pine all the time. If you let it season good you shouldn't have any problems.
Now if it's "pitch pine" that's another story. If the wood is greasy feeling, and full of resin.......well we call that rocket fuel around here. Split it into small pieces and use it for kindling, you can light it with just a match.

Andy

Morning Wood

Yeah I said it, Morning Wood. that's what I do with my white pine logs that are to big for the chipper. I split them extra small, and keep them inside the house and garage. That way when the hardwood gets a little damp (snow/water) it still lights when the pine is roaring under it in the morning. I work all night and my wife loads the stove before bed, I come home and put 6 small pieces of pine in with about 4 pieces of oak or sugar maple and it's roaring in about 5 minutes...

Jason

i am giving all my pine to a guy thats got an outdoor wood burner. he burns it unsplit and undry and loves it. by burning it like that he gets good burn time out of it and the stove pipe is so short it does not have time to cool down and gum it up. he burned all last winter and never brushed it out until this fall with very little build up. willie

I use 2x6 cutoffs for early and late season fires, it burns just fine, as does most wood when its well seasoned, and no issues with creosote buildup or anything. During the rest of the winter it makes great starter wood to get the hardwoods going as another poster stated.

Nothing wrong with burning pine as long as it's cured, I do it all the time but it is mixed with other stuff

Pine is OK if seasoned well (dry). I use mostly hardwoods, but the tree service thats gives me free wood often throughs in some pine. I cut and split it, and mix with hardwoods for heating. I also routinely clean my stove's pipe and cap routinely to keep it free of debris-ie: creosote. Dry pine and proper maintenance- you'll be just fine.

hahaha I'll be throwing smore pine on the woodburner tonight. Pretty much burn 90% pine and only get my chimney cleaned once a year. Burns hot if you split small ... just means you need lots smore :censored:

If it wasn't for Pine, and Fir it would get mighty cold here in the winter.
I better go get s'more.:laugh:

Andy

Same here. Cracks me up how so many think that pine is just EVIL! Absolutely nothing wrong with it as long as it's seasoned.

I prefer oak, I almost always have to pay for hardwood but I can usually find plenty of Ponderosa, Jeffrey and Pinion Pine to cut for free.

Hey Larry, I just got access to many tons of oak, much of it dry. It is in a yard west of Running Springs on Hwy 18. Contact me if you are interested in meeting some weekend and getting a load or two. Oh yeah its free as long as we are discreet.

Same here. Cracks me up how so many think that pine is just EVIL! Absolutely nothing wrong with it as long as it's seasoned.

I prefer oak, I almost always have to pay for hardwood but I can usually find plenty of Ponderosa, Jeffrey and Pinion Pine to cut for free.

Seems to me that the nay sayers are ones who have never burned any softwoods and probably never knew anyone who did. They are just going on the 'old wives tales'.

Harry K

Last edited:
Back