Pinto (off topic)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saw Dr.

Junk Collector
Reaction score
This is not my first post on this forum and I have some problems!

I have a sky blue 1979 Ford Pinto

Every time my buddies and I go driving, I am the slowest in the group and my car corners like crap. Their cars are not bigger than mine but they corner faster. I had one of my buddies sell me some tires, but it didn't help and they keep making fun of the car (and me!). Can anyone give me some advice on how to mod or make the car kick my buddies butts?!?

P.S. I am not going to get a new car.

Every time my buddies and I go driving, I am the slowest in the group and my car corners like crap. Their cars are not bigger than mine but they corner faster. I had one of my buddies sell me some tires, but it didn't help and they keep making fun of the car (and me!). Can anyone give me some advice on how to mod or make the car kick my buddies butts?!?

Nope :hmm3grin2orange:

May I suggest a well tuned 289 or 302. Won't corner very well but goes like hell in a straight line.

Yup,,purple color wil do it.
also LARGE size coffee can on the end of the exhaust,,25 more hp !!
total gain = 40hp.

B200,

Thanks you for this very easy question. This is your 3 step plan:

1) Stencil Stihl MS-Pinto at several visible places on the outside body.

2) Become friends with 2K.

3) Ask 2K if your car "kicks butt".

Let us hear from you,

ole joat

Last edited:
B200,

Thanks you for this very easy question. This is your 3 step plan:

1) Stencil Stihl MS-Pinto at several visible places on the outside body.

2) Becomes friends with 2K.

3) Ask 2K if your car "kicks butt".

Let us hear from you,

ole joat

#2 is redundant...anyone who stencils "Stihl" on their car will immediately have 2K as a friend.

dont feel bad be glad you have a True american auto there and not some obamamobile

Put on a 4" fart can muffler on it. That will make it go faster.....not.

I hate thoes fart can mufflers on all the Honda Civics. In my day if you wanted to go faster you get a Holley 4 Barrel and a pair of Headers. That's what I did.

Driving a Fjord Pinto has a certain amount of “coolness” to it already. It is like driving an AMC gremlin or Pacer or a Renault Le Car. It’s just sort of “hip” in a cosmic way. Perhaps such a happen’ car is not really meant for speed.

Anyhoo, if you are serious about upstaging your peers, you need to think outside the bun. First, cut the top off the top (sawsall) for the drop top effect and the reduced top weight will make the car handle better. You needed worry about the rain or snow, the rust holes in the floor pans will just let it run right out.
Second, you need to replace the gasser with a diesel. Diesels have a lot more power. Get something small, like a DT466, should do nicely. The extra weight of the diesel upfront will help with steering and cornering.
Lastly, convert your new powerplant to run on grease (preferably fryer grease or good old lard). Not only is this environmentally sound (score bonus points with the hippie chicks!), your exhaust will smell just like french-fries. This should keep all of your competition either behind your smelling the perfume (which is just where you want them in a Pinto) or heading to the nearest fast food outlet. Instant “king of the road” or “rebel without a clue”. Good luck with your new ride!

You need to get new friends, and start hanging around a bunch of Vega owners. Instantly, you will no longer have the slowest car in the bunch.

There's a nicely preserved Vega hatchback, in this month's Hemmings Motor News, in an article about the Spring Carlisle car show.

Back