Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Arrow.

Been back for couple of weeks, but been busy catching up with stuff, getting my firewood in etc.

I was back east in Manitoba for a month or so helping the in-laws with harvest. Had a good time, didn't really want to come back to the rat-race very badly.

I picked up some goodies while I was gone too. A couple of IEL HC's a PM 270, an IEL RA for parts to get my other one running, and last but not least I finally found my Super Twin!

I'm currently waiting on coils to get the twin going. After much Googling I found an outfit that makes new replacement coils and other parts for Wico magnetos. If anyone needs parts for them let me know, I'll tell you who to call. Not sure if I'm allowed to post their name on the forum.

Posted a video of my RA in action today in another thread, thought I'd re-post it over here too if any of you were interested:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rsrCVMS3_0s&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rsrCVMS3_0s&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

That's about all the use it's going to see until the snow melts next spring! Nice to look at, less nice to use. I got respect for those old-timer fallers that packed these things up hillsides and through undergrowth.

Jerry,there was that fella in Ontario that had a model J supposedly, he was the fella who was 86 years of age.I have been back and forth with him many times.He told me in the last email that he had to pay $10.00 for a cardboard box to ship a saw.What the Heck are you talking about Man! I really don't know if it is worth trying to work something out with him.He has three nice Pioneers besides the Model J.Imight send the money and never see a saw.He lives in a secluded part of Ontario
Lawrence

I am all over Ontario for work. I can stop by and see if he is legit for you. Let me know.

Jeff

Brad, Nice looking RA. It sounds good also. I think I might keep my eyes open for an older Pioneer also.

Brad, Nice looking RA. It sounds good also. I think I might keep my eyes open for an older Pioneer also.

Brad it`s good to see someone else running a RA .Just imagine,I used one of them to cut 20+cord of firewood every year to heat my dads and grandfathers houses for the winter. It takes far less time to cut up that much wood with the saws I now use.
Pioneerguy600

Hey Guys, I started up my P51 today to do a little wood cutting. It started right up and idles great but after about 5-6 seconds at wot it falls on its face. I removed and rebuilt the carb. It still does the same thing. I noticed when I removed the gas cap, there was a bunch of pressure in the tank. Any ideas? Thanks Ed

Hey Guys, I started up my P51 today to do a little wood cutting. It started right up and idles great but after about 5-6 seconds at wot it falls on its face. I removed and rebuilt the carb. It still does the same thing. I noticed when I removed the gas cap, there was a bunch of pressure in the tank. Any ideas? Thanks Ed

Yep, sounds like you have a tank vent issue. To find out for sure, fire it up and hold it WOT until it starts to sputter, then crack the gas cap - if it comes back to proper RPM fairly quickly, then that's the problem. I think the vent is in the cap on these saws, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

The tank likely had a slight vacuum, rather than excess pressure. If the vent isn't allowing air into the tank, a vacuum is created as the saw's compression pulls fuel out. Eventually the vacuum becomes so strong that the compression is unable to overcome it to pull fuel, and the saw begins to lean out or stall altogether. It's like not opening the vent cap on a fuel can - you'll be able to pour some fuel out, but the flow will soon stop due to the vacuum, and may even backflow to allow air back into the can. (Don't even get me started on these friggin' "ventless" cans they're selling now - absolute garbage IMO.)

Last edited:
Ed, when you assembled the fuel pump diaphragm, did you press into the hole at the bottom to position the diaphragm while tightening the screws? Did you adjust the lever height?

Make sure your fuel filter is clean and the line doesn't kink inside the tank.Those rubber lines tend to soften a lot with age.

Have you tried a new plug?

You could have an internal blockage in the carb. But yes, try it with the fuel cap loosened first. I'm interested to see what the problem is, so report back if you find it.

The tank likely had a slight vacuum, rather than excess pressure. If the vent isn't allowing air into the tank, a vacuum is created as the saw's compression pulls fuel out.

Thanks for the help Brad. The tank actually had pressure in it. I ran the saw a few minutes when it started acting up. I have not had the saw too long, and have not ran it much, so I figured I would rebuild the carb sense I don't know the history of it. When I disconnected the fuel line from the carb, it shot a stream of fuel about 20" and kept it up until I kinked the line and opened the cap. I then reconnected the line and ran the saw five minutes, and it did the same thing. I can blow through the cap, it will let air in the tank, but not out. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Ed, when you assembled the fuel pump diaphragm, did you press into the hole at the bottom to position the diaphragm while tightening the screws? Did you adjust the lever height?

Make sure your fuel filter is clean and the line doesn't kink inside the tank.Those rubber lines tend to soften a lot with age.

Have you tried a new plug?

You could have an internal blockage in the carb. But yes, try it with the fuel cap loosened first. I'm interested to see what the problem is, so report back if you find it.

Brendon, I did not press into the hole on the bottom, or set the lever height. I just did a quick rebuild, to see if the pressure problem would go away. I cleaned the carb spotless and installed new diaphragms. I did not remove the welch plugs. What is the purpose of pressing into the bottom hole. I did everything else you mentioned.

Pressing the diaphragm while tightening ensures that it is not too stretched and will move back and forth enough to pump the maximum amount of fuel when required. If it's too tight it only moves a little and might not pump enough under high demand.

There is always the possibility that your ignition is weak and might not have enough voltage to fire a spark under higher combustion chamber pressures. Do you have another ignition to swap?

Pressing the diaphragm while tightening ensures that it is not too stretched and will move back and forth enough to pump the maximum amount of fuel when required. If it's too tight it only moves a little and might not pump enough under high demand.

There is always the possibility that your ignition is weak and might not have enough voltage to fire a spark under higher combustion chamber pressures. Do you have another ignition to swap?

Yes, I have another ign. I could try. What do make of the tank pressure. Its a lot of pressure, not just a little.

Back