Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Modified Mark

hey way to go Mark!Another resurrected Pioneer makes a come back.Glad your in with the Pioneer club, although I know your heart belongs to Poulan,LOL! If that's you on the end of the 1074,your forearms are bigger than my thighs,YIKES,all be extra polite from now on.
You know I have beat this subject to death but the air filters on those bloody small Pioneers frustrate the hell out of me.Why did they just not go ahead and make them out of aluminum or magnesium like some of the earlier small Pioneers.What happened to Rennie was he not going to look into fabricating something up for those.Is there anyone on AS that ids directly involved in that line of work that could CNC those plastic air filters ,but only out of the above mentioned metals.Darn it I want answers,LOL.I am a huge procrastinator by nature,but sometimes things get to me and just can't leave it alone till I find an answer,also hate to do things half arsed,it's either do it as well as I can or don't do it at all,which does present it's own set of problems.Any thought's Mark, and others.
Thanks For Listening
Lawrence

So just say I fill er up and it takes right off. How much would it be worth?

A buddy of mine is a hardcore chainsaw mechanic and he was telling me that the old homlite super Xl.was almost the same parts..sometimes, sound right?

Would anyone know the spec for ring end gap on a 1074 with single ring piston ?

Are rings still available ?

Anyone have trouble getting the squish down on one of these ? With no gasket I still have 40 thou ?

Thanks for the help.:clap::clap:

So just say I fill er up and it takes right off. How much would it be worth?

A buddy of mine is a hardcore chainsaw mechanic and he was telling me that the old homlite super Xl.was almost the same parts..sometimes, sound right?

You can find and buy the 2200 and most of the other small Pioneers for about the same price an XL12 or XLA can be had for. Usually around $50-$100 in good shape, most are not running due to fuel lines or primer pump issues but are usually fairly easy to get up and running.
Pioneerguy600

Would anyone know the spec for ring end gap on a 1074 with single ring piston ?

Are rings still available ?

Anyone have trouble getting the squish down on one of these ? With no gasket I still have 40 thou ?

Thanks for the help.:clap::clap:

Ring end gap according to the repair manual for the 1074, P26 and P28 says .098/.088 for the single cast iron ring. This leaves enough space for the locator pin between the ring ends. Lowering squish on this saw was always a problem in that it needed to be shaved in a lathe, then that would change the timing numbers so they are are not a good candidate for making a hot rod out of them.
Pioneerguy600

Last edited:
Brushking attachment

Trying to post my images again.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

hey way to go Mark!Another resurrected Pioneer makes a come back.Glad your in with the Pioneer club, although I know your heart belongs to Poulan,LOL! If that's you on the end of the 1074,your forearms are bigger than my thighs,YIKES,all be extra polite from now on.
You know I have beat this subject to death but the air filters on those bloody small Pioneers frustrate the hell out of me.Why did they just not go ahead and make them out of aluminum or magnesium like some of the earlier small Pioneers.What happened to Rennie was he not going to look into fabricating something up for those.Is there anyone on AS that ids directly involved in that line of work that could CNC those plastic air filters ,but only out of the above mentioned metals.Darn it I want answers,LOL.I am a huge procrastinator by nature,but sometimes things get to me and just can't leave it alone till I find an answer,also hate to do things half arsed,it's either do it as well as I can or don't do it at all,which does present it's own set of problems.Any thought's Mark, and others.
Thanks For Listening
Lawrence

Yes Larry thats me so be carefull LOL :givebeer: And yes I like most of the old Poulans but I'm not really biased against others that are decent saws either.

I hear you on the filter covers, got me scratching my head also. Why would they use such a brittle plastic anyway? Like I said I liked the way that this saw was built for what it is otherwise and I had it all the way down to see most every part of it.

I at first thought of fabricating a new cover from sheet metal and I think I could have but really didnt have the drive or time to do so for this not so special of a saw.

I don't know much of the manufacturing process needed to reproduce them completly out of fiberglass, but if I understand it right its not all that big of a job to set up a mold for them. Might be something to think about?

ModifiedMark

Kripes Mark,I don't even think I gave fiberglass a thought.It seems that would be a great way to go as they do tons of fiberglass fabricating with all sorts of stuff.I think the thing here is as with other types of solutions to this dilemma is that you first need a mold of the part.Now I don't know if they can safely make a mold from an existing part.Then you would need one of every model type of the Pioneer plastic air filters if you wanted to be able to supply them.Maybe others would like to jump in on this as well.So any of you fellas have an idea about this?But I'm going to ask around where I live in regards to this possible fix.
Lawrence

Kripes Mark,I don't even think I gave fiberglass a thought.It seems that would be a great way to go as they do tons of fiberglass fabricating with all sorts of stuff.I think the thing here is as with other types of solutions to this dilemma is that you first need a mold of the part.Now I don't know if they can safely make a mold from an existing part.Then you would need one of every model type of the Pioneer plastic air filters if you wanted to be able to supply them.Maybe others would like to jump in on this as well.So any of you fellas have an idea about this?But I'm going to ask around where I live in regards to this possible fix.
Lawrence

Fairly positive there are only two designs...brown and green with very minor differences...

Kr5258

KR5258,Do you have the special clutch connector that enables you to couple the BrushKing to the Pioneer 1200? Man you don't know how good that makes me feel to see another one of those machines in the real.Ask pioneerguy 600 about how much I desperately wanted to know more about that BrushKing.Thanks to ModifiedMark who supplied a little package to me with the Pioneer accessories available I knew that this product actually existed.Rowco the company that made those BrushKings for Pioneer also made ones with a powerhead that was not a chainsaw.I have seen them.I think that there must be old dealers around who carried these in the North East USA States,and I would like to find them,and talk to them.I tried to reach out to AS members living in those states but not too many came forward,maybe i should resurrect that thread.I do have a line on more blades for the BrushKing KR5258 if you are interested let me know.Hang on to that machine I myself think it's a collector item.But that's just my view.I bet that machine can really bring down the brush!
Lawrence

Last edited:
Brian

Fairly positive there are only two designs...brown and green with very minor differences...

I think you may be right Brian.I know I have two green ones and the one brown one.I think the difference with the green ones is that some models have some vents at the rear of the cover towards the saw handle,but have not really paid a whole lot of time looking into that.
Lawrence

I think you may be right Brian.I know I have two green ones and the one brown one.I think the difference with the green ones is that some models have some vents at the rear of the cover towards the saw handle,but have not really paid a whole lot of time looking into that.
Lawrence

I will detail the differences in the NOS covers I have tomorrow

hmmm...

I can't think of a better place to ask....

but does anyone have a kill switch for a 7000?

Thanks guys :)

OH!

I'd post a pic, but the resolution was so high it's still 1.88mb... lol

also, any one know what cc a Partner 440 would be?

Brushking

KR5258,Do you have the special clutch connector that enables you to couple the BrushKing to the Pioneer 1200? Man you don't know how good that makes me feel to see another one of those machines in the real.Ask pioneerguy 600 about how much I desperately wanted to know more about that BrushKing.Thanks to ModifiedMark who supplied a little package to me with the Pioneer accessories available I knew that this product actually existed.Rowco the company that made those BrushKings for Pioneer also made ones with a powerhead that was not a chainsaw.I have seen them.I think that there must be old dealers around who carried these in the North East USA States,and I would like to find them,and talk to them.I tried to reach out to AS members living in those states but not too many came forward,maybe i should resurrect that thread.I do have a line on more blades for the BrushKing KR5258 if you are interested let me know.Hang on to that machine I myself think it's a collector item.But that's just my view.I bet that machine can really bring down the brush!
Lawrence

Yes I have the clutch connector. I found some info through Google but no parts source yet. I'm going to my Mom's tomorrow so I'll spend more time looking for the blades and carrying strap. If I can't find them I'll be asking for your blade source.
We would cut brush every summer with my Dad. Our "job" was to clear the fallen brush and pile it. I remember complaining that my Dad had the "easy job" of just running the machine. Well, we switched "jobs". I was about 14 or so and knew everything just like most 14 yr olds. That thing was heavy! Burned myself on the muffler. Dinged the blade. Lesson learned! Can I go back to stacking brush now? That thing absolutely ripped taking down brush though! Would zip right through stuff up to 4 inches or so, anything bigger would take a couple of passes. You would have to cut from both sides as the blade would get pinched. Will keep you posted on the search progress.

Missing Strap

Yes I have the clutch connector. I found some info through Google but no parts source yet. I'm going to my Mom's tomorrow so I'll spend more time looking for the blades and carrying strap. If I can't find them I'll be asking for your blade source.
We would cut brush every summer with my Dad. Our "job" was to clear the fallen brush and pile it. I remember complaining that my Dad had the "easy job" of just running the machine. Well, we switched "jobs". I was about 14 or so and knew everything just like most 14 yr olds. That thing was heavy! Burned myself on the muffler. Dinged the blade. Lesson learned! Can I go back to stacking brush now? That thing absolutely ripped taking down brush though! Would zip right through stuff up to 4 inches or so, anything bigger would take a couple of passes. You would have to cut from both sides as the blade would get pinched. Will keep you posted on the search progress.

Not sure if you noticed but the strap is present on the The BrushKing I have.It is just a basic thick canvas type strap with those adjustable buckles that you can weave the strap through.It reminds me of the straps you would see on WWII army gear maybe even some stuff made today,but is not like the weave strapping that is most common
Lawrence

Ring end gap according to the repair manual for the 1074, P26 and P28 says .098/.088 for the single cast iron ring. This leaves enough space for the locator pin between the ring ends. Lowering squish on this saw was always a problem in that it needed to be shaved in a lathe, then that would change the timing numbers so they are are not a good candidate for making a hot rod out of them.
Pioneerguy600

OK, I've got .091 end gap, so I guess I'm close. It just sounded like a lot. Same with the squish, wasn't really looking for a hot rod, it just sounded high.

Thanks Jerry.

I will detail the differences in the NOS covers I have tomorrow

I compared my NOS covers with the old ones on my 1073 and my P25. I can tell you all that there is absolutely no differences other than the color. All fout covers have the exact same wood grain pattern and even the push outs (the marks the molding tool makes when it kicks the part out) are identical. There are also some very minor defects in the shiny parts of the inside that detail the identical mold imperfections. The picture is huge on purpose...

Long story short. There was only one tool for at least these four covers which came from three different places.

IMHO the best way to deal with this issue would be to find someone with about $5K or so and have a low run "soft" tool made to injection mold more. Only I would use 10-30% glass filled ABS or Cycoloy then they could actually take some of abuse...

attachment.php

Back