Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Help needed to identify Pioneer chain saw model number

Hello to All,
I have a old Pioneer chain saw (that still runs!) Have searched high and low for information as to what year it is, but mainly would like to know the actual model number so that I can try and get a few parts to keep the old girl running. The only number I can find is: 427114M stamped on the side of the yellow housing. This saw has no choke, but uses a form of primer pump to pump gas into the carb/manifold.

Thanks in advance,
Tony, Royston, B.C. Canada

Looks like a 700 or 750 to me, but I've never seen a little pancake muffler like that on a Pioneer of that vintage, so you might have a bit of a Frankensaw on your hands. I don't think it's an 800 and it's definitely not an 850 because the PTO side is too short for the gear reduction. It's also of newer design than the 600 series. Either way parts shouldn't be a huge issue here in BC.

Here's some info on the 750 with a pic:

http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...0a746a4f9415370b88256b00000f20e2?OpenDocument

Good luck fixing it up! If it is a good runner, then IMO it's definitely worth a proper restoration job, even repainting if you were up for that challenge. Those are mean old saws. But of course we're partial to those old Pioneers in this thread... :)

Last edited:
Looks like a 700 or 750 to me, but I've never seen a little pancake muffler like that on a Pioneer of that vintage, so you might have a bit of a Frankensaw on your hands. I don't think it's an 800 and it's definitely not an 850 because the PTO side is too short for the gear reduction. It's also of newer design than the 600 series. Either way parts shouldn't be a huge issue here in BC.

Here's some info on the 750 with a pic:

http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...0a746a4f9415370b88256b00000f20e2?OpenDocument

Brad you are correct on the model being a 700 or 750 , the pancake thing is the airfilter cover on the left side.
Pioneerguy600

To both Brad and Jerry; Wow, thanks for the fast response and the model info on the old pioneer. A great help from both of you guys! Keep up the good work.
Tony

No problem Tony, have you ever looked up Chainsaw Collectors site put up by Mike Acres? It has a lot of info on the vintage saws.
Pioneerguy600

Is a partner/pioneer 500 considered a pioneer or a partner ??

trying to find a handle bar for mine so i can try it out :(

thank you.

I recently was given a Pioneer Partner 500 to "see if it was any good or chuck it". Well it took really nothing to get it running, and the stuck clutch and poor idle "fixed themselves" after a couple of minutes running with new mix fuel. At that point it compressed 135psi, which makes me thinks there's lots of life in it, and it's been properly used. It'll need sharpening but little else, and I already like it better than any of my three new cheap Poulans. From a link I got elsewhere on this site I found this model was made from 1984-1988, so while it's not an antique, it's certainly before the "everything made cheap in China" era, and has "made in Sweden" stamped on several places. Glad to be among this thread and will keep an eye on it, ... cheers, ... Dennis

pioneer 970

does anybody know where to find a set of rings for a pioneer 970 or rings that are compatable? also a gasket set, and maybe a piston and cylinder. or maybe the infamous primer bulb. thanks in advance

Partner 500

Here's my somewhat cleaned up latest acquisition. It's really needed nothing to be a working saw; 'course I haven't cut anything with it yet so we'll see. I gave the chain a quick Dremmel sharpen and will have at it tomorrow. I much enjoy working on a quality built machine like this. And somewhat overpowered at 50cc for the 13" chain on it. My 18" Poulan Pro only has 42cc, 'course that dog lost compression at about 50 hours and won't start with 50psi. This Pioneer had 135psi as it came to me 25 years old! Hang on, .... 300kb upload limit on this site :censored: so I'll post my pix to my Webshots site and edit in a link here a little later, .... Dennis

Edit: here's the URL for my saw pix: http://community.webshots.com/album/577659444QHiwrs?vhost=community , .... hope it works!?

OK so we try again!! http://community.webshots.com/album/577659444QHiwrs?vhost=community , .... well that might work if you copy and paste GGRRRRRR!!!!! I'll save out and try it, .... well parden my GGRRRR! , .... it WORKS!

Last edited:
Starter help ?

I just got a nice looking P26 and started going through it.
I had the starter off and noticed this wire/stop thing and it didn't look quite right to me where it was.
The starter worked fine but I wonder where this thing is really supposed to sit ?

attachment.php

I recently was given a Pioneer Partner 500 to "see if it was any good or chuck it". Well it took really nothing to get it running, and the stuck clutch and poor idle "fixed themselves" after a couple of minutes running with new mix fuel. At that point it compressed 135psi, which makes me thinks there's lots of life in it, and it's been properly used. It'll need sharpening but little else, and I already like it better than any of my three new cheap Poulans. From a link I got elsewhere on this site I found this model was made from 1984-1988, so while it's not an antique, it's certainly before the "everything made cheap in China" era, and has "made in Sweden" stamped on several places. Glad to be among this thread and will keep an eye on it, ... cheers, ... Dennis
Took a look at you saw pictures.That saw is in great shape!Congrats Dennis
Lawrence

Brian

I just got a nice looking P26 and started going through it.
I had the starter off and noticed this wire/stop thing and it didn't look quite right to me where it was.
The starter worked fine but I wonder where this thing is really supposed to sit ?

attachment.php
I can dig out a picture that would show you but one of the Gurus will probably tell you before I get the chance.If you don't get a reply in a short while let me know and I will post a picture for you
Lawrence

I can dig out a picture that would show you but one of the Gurus will probably tell you before I get the chance.If you don't get a reply in a short while let me know and I will post a picture for you
Lawrence

It goes in the extra big space between the fins at the bottom of the starter cover.Just to the right in the pict you have posted, it`s called a friction yoke.
Pioneerguy600

Latest posts

Back