Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ran out this afternoon and picked up a few more saws, had to be quick but I got there first. LOL

alaska%202010%20016.jpg

alaska%202010%20015.jpg

alaska%202010%20018.jpg

alaska%202010%20017.jpg

Nice saws Jerry, the farmsaws gotta be low hour...wish mine looked that good.

:clap::clap:

Pioneerguy600

Now Jerry, why did you go and post saws like that?You darn well know that all the guy's on this thread are going to go bananas over that stuff.CAD dreams or nightmares in some situations.Those two Pioneers are fantastic!
The Dolmars look real nice as well.Think I'm going to go and have a little cry right now,LOL!You deserve that stuff Jerry, you are one good fella!
Lawrence

Now Jerry, why did you go and post saws like that?You darn well know that all the guy's on this thread are going to go bananas over that stuff.CAD dreams or nightmares in some situations.Those two Pioneers are fantastic!
The Dolmars look real nice as well.Think I'm going to go and have a little cry right now,LOL!You deserve that stuff Jerry, you are one good fella!
Lawrence

I think your Farmsaw would look better, eh! One thing that some may not know about the Farmsaw and a few of the other smaller P series saws is that the side mounted compression release on these saws are under the recoil cover, sometimes they stick open and the saws will not run with them open. This was the case with the Farmsaw I posted picts of. I got it cause it had very low comp, thefore it must have been badly scored. After getting it one pull on the recoil told me that the decomp was stuck. I pulled the muffler and the P&C are mint, removed the recoil cover and then the stuck decomp, replaced with an NOS one I had in spare parts and now this saw runs like a new one. It pays to check those hidden decomps on saws with them as they will give a very low reading if checked with a gauge. The saw would pop and sometimes turn over a couple of times but would not run so it was mis diagnosed as being scored.
Pioneerguy600

Good stuff, Jerry! Nice to see the old P52 again!

That ole P52 is one of my inside only saws, it has not seen the shop yet. I just got started cleaning the exterior a little when DanCan stopped in and told me about a saw for sale, wasn`t long before there were 3 saws and a strimmer to be gotten for a very attractive price,so the wheels were turning rapidly and I was the first to get there. LOL .
The P 52 will eventually get it long awaited bath and then it can sit on the hearth beside the RA.
Pioneerguy600

P62

Thanks to propliner, I got hold of a brand new piston and coil for my P60 project this week...so I was eager to focus my attention on the rebuilt again. I have two weeks off as of today, so Mr Roland is all excited...:)

this saw had a scoring and it seems as if the saw has been running quite a while with the bad piston. My first impression was that the cylinder could be saved with some work to it (no major grooves), but after some light polishing with scotch brite, I am not really confident with the result. here's a few pics on the inside...

what do you guys think...?

juga.jpg

the second pic is a bit blurry but hope you get the idea.

jugb.jpg

Have you tried and acid on it? I guess the old pistons were still made out of aluminum right.

Have you tried and acid on it? I guess the old pistons were still made out of aluminum right.

the marks you see are no aluminium residues from the piston (exept a few), but 'polished' marks in the nikasil plating due to excessive pressure. they are pretty smooth but you can feel some light grooves/deformation.

The pics do make it a bit more bad than in really is....but I am not really confident in this one. Don't want to ruin a rare piston.

It does not look good from here and I think if you honed it then it would be ruined for good or at least need replating then resized. That piston would likely scrape up quickly if you ran it much at all.
Pioneerguy600

Roland, I wouldn't put a rare new piston into that cylinder. Let me check and see if I have a good used jug for you.
Brendon.

Brendon, you confirm my feelings about it. I polished it up more today and discovered indeed that the surface just has to many small grooves in it to be good for that piston. That jug is toast.

attachment.php

I really appreciate your effort on the jug. But don't feel obliged or twist your arm...I can wait if necessary.....just that dang P60 begging for attention on my bench right now. :cheers:

Last edited:
Brendon, you confirm my feelings about it. I polished it up more today and discovered indeed that the surface just has to many small grooves in it to be good for that piston. That jug is toast.

attachment.php

I really appreciate your effort on the jug. But don't feel obliged or twist your arm...I can wait if necessary.....just that dang P60 begging for attention on my bench right now. :cheers:

Good decision, that jug is too far gone for a new piston, hope Brendon can help you out with a replacement.
Pioneerguy600

I would have no problem running an old piston and rings in there for use as a work saw but for a resto we'll need to find you a good jug. I'll get home later today.
Brendon.

S620

Looking for an IPL for a S620,can anybody point me in the rite directon if available for download ?
tnx..

Back