Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got a Poulan 655BP with the grey gas cap that I'm told swell's because of the gas and it is so tight I have to use pliers to remove it. I've also been told that the Pioneer black caps don't swell. Can anybody tell me which models of Pioneer's share the same fuel cap as the P62? I want to start searching eBay for a replacement cap.

I may not be entirely accurate, but Farmsaws and P38 and on up would use the same caps. Probably some others as well.

I just made a donation and believe this is a good cause for one of are own down loggers.
this touches me in a personal way, that this is a very dangerous profession to be in, as my Father almost died 3 years ago falling. A tree had "barber-chaired" and thew him back 15-20 feet. The tree then twisted on the stump and as he rose to his feet he heard the tree falling towards him. It was to late as the tree came down right on top of him. he survived thanks to a couple of previous fallen trees. One month in the hospital and he is now 2" shorter, had two broken verds, most of his scalp was still in his hard hat, and wheres a titanium body brace most of the time. he also had to re-learn how to speak and his memory is slowly coming back. He did physically recover quite quickly to the surprise of doctors, but now stays out of the woods after falling for 30+ years.
I just thought I would share this as some people can relate and others can see how easy it is to almost loose a loved one in this line of work.
be safe out there and help out one are own.....

Thanks for helping out. Mitch is a good feller.....:msp_thumbsup:

I've got a Poulan 655BP with the grey gas cap that I'm told swell's because of the gas and it is so tight I have to use pliers to remove it. I've also been told that the Pioneer black caps don't swell. Can anybody tell me which models of Pioneer's share the same fuel cap as the P62? I want to start searching eBay for a replacement cap.

What color are you looking for? The p62 and 655 came with both colors. Yes, the grey ones swell from the gas then usually get torn up from channel locks.
I've never saw a black one swell. I have good black ones if you want one.

If your looking for grey caps, they came on the P38, P39, P42, P45, P52, P62, P65, PP405, PP455, PP525, PP655
Most of these models came with both colors, but these are the only ones that ever had grey caps.
Like hillwilliam mentioned, P38, Farmsaw on up all use the same style cap.

Last edited:
Steve, those ignition modules are almost impossible to find. I know you've had the P60 for years now. I'd love to see you get it running. If you can't find a module, I'll send you one in trade for some of that vintage cheddar cheese. :msp_biggrin:

The following error occurred during processing

Steve NW WI has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space.

Coil is on the way.

The following error occurred during processing

Steve NW WI has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space.

Coil is on the way.

Greatly appreciated Ed!

PM problem fixed as well.

What color are you looking for? The p62 and 655 came with both colors. Yes, the grey ones swell from the gas then usually get torn up from channel locks.
I've never saw a black one swell. I have good black ones if you want one.

If your looking for grey caps, they came on the P38, P39, P42, P45, P52, P62, P65, PP405, PP455, PP525, PP655
Most of these models came with both colors, but these are the only ones that ever had grey caps.
Like hillwilliam mentioned, P38, Farmsaw on up all use the same style cap.

I would definitely like to have a black one. My grey one is terrible. I'll pm you.

Thanks,

Coil is on the way.

Thanks again! Coil arrived today. I've got stuff going on today that will keep me from putting it on, but hopefully tonight after work.

I've got the P-41S video ready to upload as well, maybe a double shot of P series videos tomorrow...

My P-41 video got scrambled somehow in the computer, beyond my knowledge base. I'll take another when I get time.

Meanwhile, this should give you guys something to watch for a little bit. It's got semi-chisel .404 safety chain on it, hand touched up by me (but really needs to see the grinder - it ain't what it needs to be yet.) I was so excited to finally have this saw up and running, I plumb forgot chaps and earplugs. Please keep the crucifixion to a minimum for that. I was wrenching pretty hard to try to stall it out, and it just kept going. She sings a nice song wound up as well.

I think I got the carb pretty close, lemme know what you think. It starts first pull warm, idles nice, revs quick, and 4 strokes out of the cut.

It'll be getting some new .404 chisel for playing at gtgs on a NOS 24" bar (this one is rough, could use a new tip, rails need closed up, etc.), and thanks to a trade with Jon1212 I have a 36" for it, just need to get a file and teach myself the finer points of sharpening square ground.

Special thanks to Arrowhead, who hooked me up with the coil, decomp button, spike, and probably more that I'm forgetting. Also, treemonkey, who besides being a saw modder, was a Pioneer dealer back in the day, split the bottom end and put new bearings and seals in it. I wasn't comfortable doing it myself, I've never split one before and didn't want to screw up on a nice saw like this while learning the ropes.

Enough blah blah blah, here's the video:

Edit 4, just follow the link if the embed doesn't work. I ain't fighting it any more. It worked in a different thread just fine!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58wFg-AlrUw&feature=youtu.be

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/58wFg-AlrUw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
Pioneer NU 17 Ring Gear

A question for the Pioneer experts

I am in the process of restoring a NU 17 and when i fired it up the ring gear moves and rubs on the flywheel when running

Is there something i can do to stop this or do i need to replace the ring gear and associated parts ?

Regards

Peter

[NOT] Porting a 655BP

I'm thinking of going to a Tillotson 360 on my 655. It's pure redneck vanity, which is why I have that saw in the first place. I have the Walbro WJ 38-A that came on it reamed out to about 20mm, and it runs well and has plenty of snort here at 8,000' as well as at 10,000'. Seems to work about as well as an SDC set up the same way. But more grunt would sure be fun! I think I'm being wise to leave the ports as they are, although I'm sure I could widen the exhaust - which I'm not planning to do.

I've never monkeyed with a big Tilly, and I think there are some different versions, something like HL360 A and HL360 B (aside from the alky carb, which I don't want). I know that the reed block on the P-series saws is a limiting factor, and it can't be reamed out much. I'm sure guys have run a 360 on a 655 and could tell me some of what I oughta know.

Thanks in advance for any expert advice.

Greetings Pioneer dudes and maybe dudettes!!

Does anyone know if the P50 ever had a chainbrake?

Greetings Pioneer dudes and maybe dudettes!!

Does anyone know if the P50 ever had a chainbrake?

Rare I think. Maybe very late production. I've never seen one, but I got a P 50 clutch cover from a member here and it had most of the brake guts in it except for the handle.

That would make it a P 50S on the serial tag. You could put a brake on it, you just need the proper clutch cover from any 50/60 series saw. The guts are the same from anything from a farmsaw up to the 40/50/60 series saws.

Any chance would one like this work? Not worried about keeping the saw PC, want to use it for firewood duty.

PIONEER FARMSAW CHAINSAW SIDE BRAKE COVER STBX696 | eBay

No, the Farmsaw and P40 series are smaller than the P50, the guts will work, but not the cover. Any cover from a P50 and larger will work.
Do you need a cover? Brake or non-brake? Like Chris mentioned, I believe the brakes were optional on the later P50's.

No, the Farmsaw and P40 series are smaller than the P50, the guts will work, but not the cover. Any cover from a P50 and larger will work.
Do you need a cover? Brake or non-brake? Like Chris mentioned, I believe the brakes were optional on the later P50's.

What I have is a P50 complete that has a non brake cover.
I'm looking for whatever I need to get a brake on it. Getting slow in my days lately and feel better with a brake.

I'm sure I have an extra brake cover, but I'm not sure if it has the guts in it. If not, the Farmsaw cover guts you posted a link of will work.

Now that I think about it, a lot of the P50's came with a fiber shoe clutch. They had a smaller drum than the metal shoe. I'm not 100% sure the band will tighten up around the smaller drum. See which one you have.

I have a smaller fiber shoe clutch, I'll check if it will work tomorrow.

I'll send you the cover Monday.

Won (???) a P21 off evilbay. :msp_unsure: Undergoing evaluation at present.

Supposed to have run and then quit. Coil lead was dragging on the flywheel and shorting out. Fuel tank and lines look good. Air filter lid broken, natch.. Air filter itself is all distorted and won't seal around the edge.

Small Homie (Super EZ type) bar correct for thease?

Carb. pump cover has the boss for the idle adjustment screw broken off. Cute fix with a safety pin.:msp_rolleyes:

No manual oiler leaves me feeling insecure...................................................................

And,..................................Whare is the end of the pulley brake thingy supposed to anchor against.

Pics. later.

P21 starter issues.

Where is the wire 'arm' supposed to butt up against. Seen here about 2:00 in this picture.

attachment.php

It wants to wander around and get tangled with the comp. release lever.

Latest posts

Back