Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pioneer ? Saw

Ws hoping that some of you that have been around these saws for a while could help. Just got my saw back from the saw shop and it runs like a raped ape. Still dont know what model it is. The saw shop could only tell me it was a 4ci displacement. No model nuber markings or tag on saw. Does anybody know a trick to tracking down this info. Had some people tell me to look inside the clutch cover for model and nothing there either. I am really excited about this saw and how well it runs, but it would be great to know what it is..... I feel like an idiot (ican admit that), but I think this is the place to ask. Thank you for the help!!!

View attachment 264739View attachment 264740View attachment 264741View attachment 264742

From what I see in the photos, my guess is the saw is a Pioneer Partner P42 HP. The air cover is from a newer Poulan Pro (Pioneer model)which is the same saw.
It could be a P39 of P45 Pioneer Partner but both of mine have plastic rewinds. The same for my Poulan Pro 405 and 455. Only the P42 HP has a metal rewind cover.
These parts could have been changed?? The serial tag is located on the bottom of the saw if it is metal. I have seen sticker type tags located behind the fuel filler cap. May be gone. Measuring the bore of the cylinder through the exhaust port will narrow it done.

Thanks Jerry...That's exactly what I'm seeing as far as the differences between the 600 & 610.

Now you, if anybody, must have a suggestion for a color match for the yellow/green base color? I have found that RustOleum Forest Green matches the green nearly perfectly. I'm not repainting the entire saw, just the chain/clutch cover because I messed it up cleaning it up. :^(

Also, any suggestions on where to get a gas line and filter for the 610. I also need the short gas line from sediment bowl to carb. And, of course, a rebuild kit for the Hl22A carb. Any guidance will be greatly appreciated. I'm out in the boonies and have limited internet access to search and no town close to shop around it.

Cheers...Carl

Sorry Jerry - I just saw your answer to the paint question in the other thread. Thanks!

Yeah the paint thing is not easy to find in a rattle can, it might be out there but I have not seen any that came real close. The only thing easy to find for fuel lines these days is Tygon, it will stand up to the stuff they call gasoline better than any of the rubber lines of yesteryear. NOS fuel lines are just about non existant for these old saws and they won`t last long in modern day gas. Carb kits for the HL series carbs can be found through any small engine repair shop, all the HL carbs take the same kits, Ebay is full of them also.

From what I see in the photos, my guess is the saw is a Pioneer Partner P42 HP. The air cover is from a newer Poulan Pro (Pioneer model)which is the same saw.
It could be a P39 of P45 Pioneer Partner but both of mine have plastic rewinds. The same for my Poulan Pro 405 and 455. Only the P42 HP has a metal rewind cover.
These parts could have been changed?? The serial tag is located on the bottom of the saw if it is metal. I have seen sticker type tags located behind the fuel filler cap. May be gone. Measuring the bore of the cylinder through the exhaust port will narrow it done.

I was thinking PP 405 with a P42 starter. I could be wrong, but I've never seen the P42 with the plastic lower frame, only P45 and the PP's. He's got a thread in chainsaw also, I was posting there. Either way, one or the other was switched... (lower frame or rewind).
I'm not 100% on this, but do you think the empty rivet holes would tell the truth? P42 being on the bottom, and 405 being on the side? I've never seen a P42 tag mounted to the side like a 405 has.

I am searching for the empty rivet holes. cant seem to find them.... Sorry about the double forum post. Wasnt sure which one would get a response. Im going to go search for those holes. BRB

Good deal. I'm thinking the bottom frame was replaced, I've never seen the plastic ones come original on a P42. The reason they put the tag on the side of the saw, like the pic I posted in the other thread, was because when they went with the plastic lower frame. It's so much wider than the mag frame it would almost completely hide the model tag. (like yours)

Yeah the paint thing is not easy to find in a rattle can, it might be out there but I have not seen any that came real close. The only thing easy to find for fuel lines these days is Tygon, it will stand up to the stuff they call gasoline better than any of the rubber lines of yesteryear. NOS fuel lines are just about non existant for these old saws and they won`t last long in modern day gas. Carb kits for the HL series carbs can be found through any small engine repair shop, all the HL carbs take the same kits, Ebay is full of them also.

Thanks again Jerry - I'll be ordering the rebuild kit and looking for Tygon. Enjoy...

Carl,
If you've switched over to painting Pioneers instead of fastening Contra top-covers then you're doing better, which I'm quite glad to see. I was about to post some IEL video when I found ya. 3 Cylinders of I.E.L. - YouTube "Tis the season to be jolly!"
Igpoe:cheers:

Carl,
If you've switched over to painting Pioneers instead of fastening Contra top-covers then you're doing better, which I'm quite glad to see. I was about to post some IEL video when I found ya. 3 Cylinders of I.E.L. - YouTube "Tis the season to be jolly!"

Ah "Mean Dean" You are at it again. How come you don't get some real saws instead of those old 2 man monstrosities? LOL

Nice sounding saws.

I still haven't gotten back to the saws I hauled south for the GTG. Five months away in Montana didn't help on my schedule then I had to acquire a couple more (Mac and the Pioneer) The 610 cleaned up real nice now to rebuild the carb, replace fuel lines and clean the fuel tank.

Carl,

Dean,

Those are awesome. The JD colors on the Super Twin leave alot to be desired. IEL had it right with the red, not unlike IHC.

Chris B.

Dean,

Those are awesome. The JD colors on the Super Twin leave alot to be desired. IEL had it right with the red, not unlike IHC.

Chris B.

I do surely agree. I hope nobody thinks I would deface such a saw with tractor colors. I did paint a DA-211 Merc once with Hemi engine orange and Porsche silver!

Jeff, I believe I do. I'll check tomorrow. Need anything else P related?
Thanks Ed PM sent
STill need a Pioneer P52 to complete my collection of P series.
Always room for a P35 as well.

Last edited:
Uh Oh.......

So, I was just cleaning up the old P42 and realized that there was gas in the bar oil. First thought was, how did I pull the rookie move of rookie moves? upon farther inspection, I realized that the diaphram that separates the oil tank from the fuel tank has been completely eaten away. I dont know if this is the crank case seal, or a diaphram, or what this fix will entail. Does anybody have experience with this problem? Please help!!!! Thank you

So, I was just cleaning up the old P42 and realized that there was gas in the bar oil. First thought was, how did I pull the rookie move of rookie moves? upon farther inspection, I realized that the diaphram that separates the oil tank from the fuel tank has been completely eaten away. I dont know if this is the crank case seal, or a diaphram, or what this fix will entail. Does anybody have experience with this problem? Please help!!!! Thank you

That is a common problem with these saws, The baffle between the gas and oil tank will become loose. It should be in the bottom of the tank. If you search this thread it has come up before.

That is a common problem with these saws, The baffle between the gas and oil tank will become loose. It should be in the bottom of the tank. If you search this thread it has come up before.

Thank you! I pulled out the remnants. It had been turned into a glob of something unrecognizable. Ill search the threads

Latest posts

Back