Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P51 Bad Ignition Coil

I have a P51 that was working well until a few days ago the ignition coil went bad. If anyone has a spare coil I would like to keep using this saw but since parts are hard to find I think $50 plus shipping would be a good price for the parts.

View attachment 269974

Can anyone ID this Pioneer?
View attachment 271013

Many thanks,

Lee
Huntsville Ontario

Farmsaw X 2

If you decide to have a look at it, make sure it has spark (coils are available but will cost around $80 delivered). The starters are also a weak point. Automatic engage by the starter on a compression release so the compression will feel low. Don't try to check compression by disabling that or you will likley break the starter.

Other than that a nice saw.

Here's a pic of mine

IMG_0007.jpg

Tim

pioneer iel chainsaw

i have a pioneer iel chainsaw and the motor is stuck is the pioneer 600 and 1200 have the same internal motor parts as the iel chainsaw:help:

i have a pioneer iel chainsaw and the motor is stuck is the pioneer 600 and 1200 have the same internal motor parts as the iel chainsaw:help:

Don't know what IEL you have, but the 600 would share some parts with an IEL RA. Nothing IEL ever made is anywhere close to a 1200.

What saw are you working on?

Chris B.

Thanks

Farmsaw X 2

If you decide to have a look at it, make sure it has spark (coils are available but will cost around $80 delivered). The starters are also a weak point. Automatic engage by the starter on a compression release so the compression will feel low. Don't try to check compression by disabling that or you will likley break the starter.

Other than that a nice saw.

Here's a pic of mine

IMG_0007.jpg

Tim
Thanks for the tips Tim. That's a very nice looking saw that you have. I one I'm looking at apparently starts and runs for $25.00

Lee:msp_w00t:

iam working on an ra model iel

In that case, the 600 should share the piston and carb with that RA. (Pioneer upped the displacement by increasing the stroke, not the bore.) The ignition should be a match as well. I'm willing to bet alot of the parts that are visually different will fit, more or less. From what I understand, Pioneer tried a goofy starter pawl setup on the 600 but went back to the FM dogs with the 610.

The RA is a great saw. I have 3 myself. Here's one.

RA_3.jpg

Ashamed to say i,ve not been in for a while so i thought i better catch up. Sorry to read of Lawrence,s issues, hope it all works out for him.
Been working out the saws :msp_thumbsup: but both the 620 and 650 have carb diaphram problems, so i need to rebuild both carbs. Just got a new bar to go on the P20 once i get a new chain :msp_smile:

I picked up this Pioneer advertising catalog. It's from 1974... the first year of the P50.
I hope you can read the print, it's got some neat information.

IMG_8313-1.jpg

IMG_8314.jpg

IMG_8317.jpg

IMG_8316.jpg

IMG_8315.jpg

I picked up this Pioneer advertising catalog. It's from 1974... the first year of the P50.
I hope you can read the print, it's got some neat information.

IMG_8316.jpg

IMG_8315.jpg

Ed,

That is one fine looking P65.

After reading that literature I will definitely consider cutting with nothing but a Pioneer.

Now, before I make up my mind, do girls like that always show up when you're cutting with one?

If yes, I will rush getting the P51 back together.

iam working on a ra model and the pistion is stuck what would be a good way to free up the pistion in the cylinder
and remove the head

iam working on a ra model and the pistion is stuck what would be a good way to free up the pistion in the cylinder
and remove the head

Your RA has a removable head as in separate from cylinder. You can remove the 6 nuts and washers and delicately pry/knock the head loose. I use a block of wood to rap on the head and jar it loose. Once off, you may be able to tap the piston and get it moving. Some heat might help. If the piston/cylinder turns out to be a lost cause, I see a used set on feebay.

Remember, these saws are not old iron tractors. You can't take that same 5 lb sledgehammer that would barely scratch an old IH and expect to not damage your saw.

Chris B.

Edit: And use lots of penetrating oil. Aluminum piston, aluminum cylinder with cast iron liner.

Latest posts

Back