Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you very much for all supports.
Carburator type is: Tillotson HS147B2.
Unfortunatelly, I have no paypal. If you want you can send diaphragms only, in standard letter.
Nice regards from Serbia.

ps. I have no idea who was leader in design and tehnology:Stihl or Pioneer in that time(60-70ties).
Pioneer castings shows significant similarity to the plane parts.
I'll check my kits and see if I have one.

Hi guys. It's probably been posted before but does anyone have a good brand/color of paint to use to restore an RA?

I'm finally getting around to one I broke down 2 years ago. Most of the reason it's been ignored is I've been dreading the cleaning and paint stripping. I normally restore saws to perfect mechanical condition. Cosmetic condition has never really factored in. I have a couple of weeks off for a xmas plant shutdown so have been picking at the RA piece by piece with paint stripper, wire brush, dremel, sandpaper, scraper, razor blade... Needless to say it has been tedious but enjoyable.

I bought some self etching primer today. If all goes well I'll be priming within a week. I know as soon as the parts are primed I'm going to be in a hurry to see the yellow on there so I can assemble it. I saw two choices at TSC (Canada) today. One was John Deere yellow. It seems too bright. There was a duller yellow I should have bought as well. I think it was another tractor color. Old New Holland? I'll have a look at it again tomorrow.

I see 3 shades of yellow on the RA's I have. I thought looking under the cover would be a good reference. Pale yellow on the tank but somewhat brighter under the cover . I assumed the dull tank was due to sun fade. One of mine has a sticker on the top cover from the original seller. I pulled it off. Dark yellow on top covering a lighter yellow! Primer maybe? Maybe it was painted again prior to the Exeter, Ontario dealer putting their sticker on?? Long story short, I don't even know what paint on my saws to match to!

Thanks in advance for the help!

By the way, the John Deere yellow spray can cap looks like it's a close match to the DD I would like to restore in the future.

My RA is the same color as my 610 which I had to partially repaint. I found an auto paint mixed by
Sherman Williams that is a near perfect match. Here are a couple of pics to show. The clutch cover is the only part repainted:

2repaintedcover.jpg

This pic shows the paint code that any good auto paint store should be able to mix - it is originally a Ford Mustang color...

2paintcode.jpg

Wish I could help but I get my paints custom mixed to match a part of the original saw, the underside of the engine cover or clutch cover is as near as I have come to original paint. I have seen at least 4 different shades of yellow on RA`s., guess they changed it slightly on each production run. When I painted my last RA ,I took this NOS clutch cover in and they scanned it with a paint analyzer gun and came up with a batch mix of 3 part urethane,

IMG_3476.JPG

Wish I could help but I get my paints custom mixed to match a part of the original saw, the underside of the engine cover or clutch cover is as near as I have come to original paint. I have seen at least 4 different shades of yellow on RA`s., guess they changed it slightly on each production run. When I painted my last RA ,I took this NOS clutch cover in and they scanned it with a paint analyzer gun and came up with a batch mix of 3 part urethane,

IMG_3476.JPG

IMG_3477.JPG

The oil tank cover below was another NOS part I had at that time,

IMG_3482.JPG

I see my post got hung up somewhere, I posted it a good 15 mins ago but I guess it got stalled. Carl`s post is a good match and that color should be an easy mix for a custom mix auto shop to recreate.

Last edited:
have 2 ra's, one w/decent original paint, 2nd has slobbed on brush job, not by me, and the 650 I did purposely in a darker yellow/black [resto custom??], not correct, but I like... good luck & lookin forward to pics...old saw 006.JPG ra2 001.JPG pioneer 650 004.JPG

Carl,
Thanks for the mix info. I was hoping for a really close product already packaged in a spray can format. I'm not set up to spray from a gun. If that's my only option I may have to invest in some new toys. :) Either way, I'm going to take your formula to a place that can mix paint and see what they say.

Jerry,
Very jealous that you have NOS parts to match. I'm going to have a closer look at what I have here but the pale yellow is the way to go. Have you seen saws with a brighter yellow underneath? I have enough RA carcasses here to really get a guy spun around on colour. I am going to forget about what options there are and focus on what I want. I want the color of your RA. Carl's looks like a perfect match to my eye.

Rocket,
I like the flat black on the 650. The first RA you posted is what I think of when I think RA yellow.

Carl,
Thanks for the mix info. I was hoping for a really close product already packaged in a spray can format. I'm not set up to spray from a gun. If that's my only option I may have to invest in some new toys. :) Either way, I'm going to take your formula to a place that can mix paint and see what they say.

Jerry,
Very jealous that you have NOS parts to match. I'm going to have a closer look at what I have here but the pale yellow is the way to go. Have you seen saws with a brighter yellow underneath? I have enough RA carcasses here to really get a guy spun around on colour. I am going to forget about what options there are and focus on what I want. I want the color of your RA. Carl's looks like a perfect match to my eye.

An hvlp sprayer is surely the way to go but I haven't purchased one yet. When I bought the paint they had a small paint gun setup that runs off of a compressed gas canister (all in one kit). It held like 4 oz of paint at a time but that is plenty and the gas canister is replaceable when it runs out. Very inexpensive and works well for smaller than car painting jobs (like chainsaws). LOL I baked the paint then put a clear coat on it and baked it again that is why it is a bit glossier than the unpainted parts of the 610.

I like to powder coat my saw parts if I can get the right powder but an hvlp sprayer is on my shopping list as well.

See you say you have several RA carcasses - you wouldn't happen to have a spare top in good condition? Mine has been welded at the clamp and the clamp is also broken off so I'll have to weld it back on - I'm not a good welder. :^(

RA pile (2).JPG
See you say you have several RA carcasses - you wouldn't happen to have a spare top in good condition? Mine has been welded at the clamp and the clamp is also broken off so I'll have to weld it back on - I'm not a good welder. :^(

Yep. I have one to spare if it helps you out. I played with a sand blaster on it. See how the paint is brighter yellow underneath the top coat. This is my first pic I have posting using the new AS format. Bare with me.

I called a local auto parts store. They can do custom aerosol cans for $25. They can also do a 1/2 pint but the activator and hardener would be $60 for the minimum qty. That doesn't include the 1/2 pint and the spray equipment. Cost of the can seems high but it's probably my best value.

View attachment 325042

Yep. I have one to spare if it helps you out. I played with a sand blaster on it. See how the paint is brighter yellow underneath the top coat. This is my first pic I have posting using the new AS format. Bare with me.

I called a local auto parts store. They can do custom aerosol cans for $25. They can also do a 1/2 pint but the activator and hardener would be $60 for the minimum qty. That doesn't include the 1/2 pint and the spray equipment. Cost of the can seems high but it's probably my best value.
would there be a "spare" lower footpeg clamp in that box? I think p/n [on it] is ra 118 B... thx. pete.

Would an RA in near new condition be a good example of original color?

This early model isn't far behind in condition:

Very - very nice original RA`s you have there. The yellow that Pioneer used back at that time does darken up some with age and exposure to the elements. The parts of the saw that are not exposed to the sun, rain and time seem to darken less but then again not all of the saws I have seen were painted the same shade of yellow. When I built my best RA a few years back I was very lucky to have several NOS body parts that were in original cardboard boxes still wrapped in original protective paper. I really don`t know if they had been opened or not but they didn`t look like they had seen much exposure. The paint on them were a tad lighter than your saws but who knows for certain what paint was used on a certain production run.

Carl,

Jerry,

Rocket,
I like the flat black on the 650. The first RA you posted is what I think of when I think RA yellow.

Darcy,...I would go with the lighter yellow, its the one I remember most vividly from back in the early 60`s when I started running these saws, the 600 series were the next models out and they were also painted the lighter yellow. Most Pioneer collectors/restorers will tell you that the 600 was an almost straight up copy of the RA with the RA being the last sandcast saw made and the 600 being the first diecast model. I was lucky enough to have and run them both.

Darcy,...I would go with the lighter yellow, its the one I remember most vividly from back in the early 60`s when I started running these saws, the 600 series were the next models out and they were also painted the lighter yellow. Most Pioneer collectors/restorers will tell you that the 600 was an almost straight up copy of the RA with the RA being the last sandcast saw made and the 600 being the first diecast model. I was lucky enough to have and run them both.

Hi Jerry,
I definitely like the lighter yellow and Carl's looks more than close enough for me. I called a couple of places today. The 4-digit paint codes shows as a Ford Europe color. I could have ordered it over the phone. Too simple. I'll pick up a 16 oz can in the near future. Still busy with the cleaning and paint stripping. An hour or two every night after the kiddies are in bed and I'll be ready for top coat soon enough.

If anyone has a very nice original RA rubber pull cord handle I would be interested. Mine is cracked and damaged.

Thanks,
Darcy

Hi Jerry,
I definitely like the lighter yellow and Carl's looks more than close enough for me. I called a couple of places today. The 4-digit paint codes shows as a Ford Europe color. I could have ordered it over the phone. Too simple. I'll pick up a 16 oz can in the near future. Still busy with the cleaning and paint stripping. An hour or two every night after the kiddies are in bed and I'll be ready for top coat soon enough.

If anyone has a very nice original RA rubber pull cord handle I would be interested. Mine is cracked and damaged.

Thanks,
Darcy

Wish I had one for you but I have been looking for one myself for a couple of years now without finding a good one. Only ever found one NOS - OEM one in 20 years of looking. They must be out there someplace but remain scarce so far.

Back