Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You said you clean the carburetor new everything I had a same problem one time did the same thing that you are saying my problem was the fuel screen on the carburetor it was dirty replace the screen all good

What’s the chances this isn’t a carb issue ? Could an air leak cause this ? I’ve yet to vacuum test anything or throw a compression tester on it. I’ll tear the carb down again next, new screens were installed first time around aswell. Thx for the ideas tho.

Will it run at half throttle and above? If you can keep it running above an idle the problem is the low speed circuit. If it runs out of fuel no matter how you play it then fuel supply needs fixing.
It’ll fire and I’ll lay into it, 3/4 throttle, Run strong, then eventually die after 4-5 seconds. Like it gets a fuel line worth of fuel and that’s it.

Have you tried removing your fuel filter and pump pressure into fuel line to check to see if your fuel hose is not leaking and make sure your fuel filter is not partially plugged. Have you changed your spark plug?
Thanks for the help, new fuel line and filter had no change. New plug aswell. Pulled filter right off to see if that helped, didn’t. It’s a neat old saw, would like to put it back to work.

Hey guys, been lurkin the site for awhile now. But now I’m stumped and need some help. Been hoarding some pioneers over the years and finally started digging into the pile the last couple months. Currently working on a late model 3071, I can’t keep this saw running! It’ll fire up fine with s couple pulls with choke pulled, idles great, then dies. Seems to run out of fuel. To start I need to pull choke and start the process over. I’ve changed all fuel line and filter, plug(getting great spark), full rebuild on carb including pulling Welch plugs. Any help would be appreciated, thx

One thing I have encountered on the 3071 saws over the years is the impulse holes get blocked coming up from the crankcase to the carb and the carb then gets no signal pulse to the pump diaphragms causing a no fuel flow to the carb..Best to remove the elbow and reed assembly and clean everything up from the cylinder base to the carb, make sure the impulse ports are clear and reseal everything back up. If using sealers,take caution not to block off the ports, also make sure the carb to elbow gasket has the correct corresponding holes for the impulse, have seen gaskets with improper hole locations before.

Great advise. I too thought it was an impulse hole blockage. I’ve made sure it was clean and clear. I made a reed block to carb gasket but I will check again the impulse hole isnt blocked. My eBay carby kit had a gasket that looked like it would work, installed it and finally realized it wasn’t tall enough to covey the impulse hole channel that goes threw the block. It wasn’t pulling fuel to start it at all. I figured that out and made a gasket and thought life would be good after that.

Anyone have a source for a p28 af cover? I know they’re hard to come by, but a guys gotta ask. How about robbing one from a 1073 and painting it green? Same cover?
Thx

I checked Bruce`s site and he does not have them listed now but try pulling up his eBay store, "cheapchainsaw",and take a look, often times he has stuff he does not have listed in eBay. I bought a dozen a few years back but they sold out in a month or less, could sell dozens more if I had them.

I checked Bruce`s site and he does not have them listed now but try pulling up his eBay store, "cheapchainsaw",and take a look, often times he has stuff he does not have listed in eBay. I bought a dozen a few years back but they sold out in a month or less, could sell dozens more if I had them.
Stupid things are worth more then the saws at this point I bet. Lol. This one has sedimentary value tho, so it’s gotta get done.

All great ideas. Think I’ll try to seal the reed block to the case better. And pull the carb and clean it again. Maybe play with the metering valve? Open it up?

Everything needs to be airtight on the intake side and the carb built and set right in the carb, I have seen a few China carb kits recently that had either holes in the wrong places or no holes for ports at all.

Stupid things are worth more then the saws at this point I bet. Lol. This one has sedimentary value tho, so it’s gotta get done.

I got a deal on them for $12. @ at that time, they were black in color but they can be painted easily. I did a few in green by first priming them light grey and then overcoating them forest green, they looked real close to originals.
I sold my last NOS,. OEM cover for $50. not even I would pay that much for one but ya know how collectors are.

Back