Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lots of freshly powdered P-60 parts, thanks to @glock37 and a few others...

View attachment 663749

The build is stalled for the moment, as Jim is dealing with some pretty serious family stuff right now... but I will post more pics when the saw is back together.
It's going to look great when it's all done. I bet it's going to be a pretty good runner as well.

Got to working on the 1771 last night. Saw was seized, but penetrating oil and a pipe wrench broke it loose with minimal effort. Its actually in very good shape apart from stuck rings, rusted out muffler and a toasted clutch.

20180718_163655.jpg

20180718_163704.jpg

20180718_163715.jpg

it also seems to be missing the tin heat shield from around the cylinder and the manual oil pump (will have to make one). And the coil fell apart in my hands, as expected.

some pictures of the piston and clutch. Does anyone know if the clutch on this saw is the same as other pioneers?

20180718_180302.jpg

20180718_184357.jpg

20180718_184406.jpg

not even sure how you'd go about wearing grooves like that in the clutch drum, I've certainly never seen damage like it.

some pictures of the piston and clutch. Does anyone know if the clutch on this saw is the same as other pioneers?

View attachment 664072

View attachment 664073

View attachment 664074

not even sure how you'd go about wearing grooves like that in the clutch drum, I've certainly never seen damage like it.
Funny how the clutch shoes dont have the kind of wear the drum does. Its like the drum was not heat treated properly . Clutch drum is #471401. It is the same as a 3200/3270. I have the IPL if you need it. Great find!
Tom

Funny how the clutch shoes dont have the kind of wear the drum does. Its like the drum was not heat treated properly . Clutch drum is #471401. It is the same as a 3200/3270. I have the IPL if you need it. Great find!
Tom

Yes I also thought the wear was a bit odd. I already have the IPL but thank you for the offer. It was a great find.

If anyone has one in their collection I would really appreciate some close up photos of the manual oiler as well as the front of the saw, and the tin heat shield.

Yes I also thought the wear was a bit odd. I already have the IPL but thank you for the offer. It was a great find.

If anyone has one in their collection I would really appreciate some close up photos of the manual oiler as well as the front of the saw, and the tin heat shield.
Over at chainsaw collectors there is a few 1770's in the model library. I'm not sure if that helps or not.

Well picked up a p60 the other day. She’s definatly seen better days. Looks like it may need a set of rings, cylinder and piston look ok I think. Decomp is missing. Flywheel nut is a mess, I did manage to get it off tho. Clutch cover and starter cover are needing replacing. Upper handle is also cracked. Anyone with some spares? Maybe an oil pump gasket?
Any help to keep this old thing alive is appreciated. Thanks guys.
Kevin.

Well picked up a p60 the other day. She’s definatly seen better days. Looks like it may need a set of rings, cylinder and piston look ok I think. Decomp is missing. Flywheel nut is a mess, I did manage to get it off tho. Clutch cover and starter cover are needing replacing. Upper handle is also cracked. Anyone with some spares? Maybe an oil pump gasket?
Any help to keep this old thing alive is appreciated. Thanks guys.
Kevin.

Welcome to the 6 cube club, Nice Find their. Some of those parts are getting harder to find these days.

Got to working on the 1771 last night. Saw was seized, but penetrating oil and a pipe wrench broke it loose with minimal effort. Its actually in very good shape apart from stuck rings, rusted out muffler and a toasted clutch.

View attachment 664066

View attachment 664068

View attachment 664069

it also seems to be missing the tin heat shield from around the cylinder and the manual oil pump (will have to make one). And the coil fell apart in my hands, as expected.

View attachment 664072

View attachment 664073

View attachment 664074

Here is a Pic of what your clutch should look like. l wonder if one your clutch drum needle bearings came out and destroyed the Drum.

Attachments

• 1771 clutchDSC00022_001.JPG
    1771 clutchDSC00022_001.JPG
    5.7 MB · Views: 12
  • 1771 clutchDSC00023_002.JPG
    1771 clutchDSC00023_002.JPG
    5.7 MB · Views: 12
I have A line on a 1771. I’m trying to get it, apparently it’s a runner. I’ll pass it onto you if you like , I’m some what local to you.

l have a good 750 partial saw here , need some parts that are missing. The P/C are really good though. Data plate is also on it. often data plates are missing.

None that I have been able to find unfortunately. They are really hard to find as well. What is the compression at right now?
I didn’t even check it. Was very low. Got home and blew it apart. Someone jimmied the decomp and brazed it. Maybe it was leaking? Base gasket was torn up pretty bad aswell. Maybe that had an effect on things too. I’ll clean everything up and assemble it. Maybe it’s not as bad as I think.

I didn’t even check it. Was very low. Got home and blew it apart. Someone jimmied the decomp and brazed it. Maybe it was leaking? Base gasket was torn up pretty bad aswell. Maybe that had an effect on things too. I’ll clean everything up and assemble it. Maybe it’s not as bad as I think.
I bet it's not really that bad. The leaks will definitely hurt compression.

Back