Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finished this off yesterday. Found out that the carb is wrong though, I believe its from a 1200 sized saw. So if anyone has a spare SDC-53 or HS-211 series carb.... let me know. This got new rings, seals, bearings, gaskets, fuel lines and I deleted the base gasket to get 0.025" squish. I also put a husky carb elbow and V stack on it. Its got a ton of compression and its not even broken in.

20181011_174140.jpg

20181011_174156.jpg

Front handle bar is wrapped in 2 layers of 1-1/2" shrink tube, worked well and looks much better than the dented and scratched aluminum.

Out of curiosity, (and slightly off topic), how do you correctly line up the undercut on a Humboldt to accurately meet the first face cut? I see vids of guys doing it like the bar has eyes and the cuts meet perfectly every time. And not to stray too far off topic...

I'd love to run this more but it has an over heating issue that may be the early cylinder design combined with the hard nose bar. Haven't taken the time to dive all the way into it. One o' these days...
Making that face cut just takes practice - and I'm out of practice. One thing that helps is to put the horizontal cut in, pull the saw straight forward out of the cut, tip it down, and begin the first nibble of the bottom cut. Hope that makes sense.

It may not solve your overheating problem, but a very open (loud) exhaust lets a lot of heat out. My Pioneers have both kinds of exhaust outlet: Country and Western. The hoes in the screen support are enlarged, and the screens are clean. I use ear plugs as well as ear muffins.

Making that face cut just takes practice - and I'm out of practice. One thing that helps is to put the horizontal cut in, pull the saw straight forward out of the cut, tip it down, and begin the first nibble of the bottom cut. Hope that makes sense.

It may not solve your overheating problem, but a very open (loud) exhaust lets a lot of heat out. My Pioneers have both kinds of exhaust outlet: Country and Western. The hoes in the screen support are enlarged, and the screens are clean. I use ear plugs as well as ear muffins.
From someone that has had a running jet engine in his ears much of his life... PLEASE use hearing protection (I did/do). I wouldn't wish this high pitched continual tone on my worst enemy!

Finished this off yesterday. Found out that the carb is wrong though, I believe its from a 1200 sized saw. So if anyone has a spare SDC-53 or HS-211 series carb.... let me know. This got new rings, seals, bearings, gaskets, fuel lines and I deleted the base gasket to get 0.025" squish. I also put a husky carb elbow and V stack on it. Its got a ton of compression and its not even broken in.

View attachment 679414

View attachment 679415

Front handle bar is wrapped in 2 layers of 1-1/2" shrink tube, worked well and looks much better than the dented and scratched aluminum.

Good looking saw. I can't help you with a carb but there is a WJ20 on eBay right now that should fit. I know I have one of those on my 655 and it works well. It should fit well too.

What did you have to do to get those bolts holding the starter cover to fit?

Good looking saw. I can't help you with a carb but there is a WJ20 on eBay right now that should fit. I know I have one of those on my 655 and it works well. It should fit well too.

What did you have to do to get those bolts holding the starter cover to fit?

The previous owner had used 1/4" bolts instead of the 12-24 so I tapped the holes out and went with it. Everything just clears.

Plan for the carb is to get a 066 hs series carb and swap the shafts over and drill the impulse. Should work maybe.

Too nice here today not to go out and run some saws. I intended to take the P50, but managed to make it inaccessible in the shop at the moment. Found a decent Doug fir to run the smaller sibling in instead. Needed to lean it out a tad after warming it up, as I was pretty high in the mountains. Good runner, weather, wood, scenery, and bighorns. A great couple of hours.

Cutting Oct 13 2018 (1).JPG

Larch are blazing with colour.
Cutting Oct 13 2018 (8).JPG

Cutting Oct 13 2018 (10).JPG

The previous owner had used 1/4" bolts instead of the 12-24 so I tapped the holes out and went with it. Everything just clears.

Plan for the carb is to get a 066 hs series carb and swap the shafts over and drill the impulse. Should work maybe.

Good luck with the carb .let us know how it works out.

Too nice here today not to go out and run some saws. I intended to take the P50, but managed to make it inaccessible in the shop at the moment. Found a decent Doug fir to run the smaller sibling in instead. Needed to lean it out a tad after warming it up, as I was pretty high in the mountains. Good runner, weather, wood, scenery, and bighorns. A great couple of hours.

View attachment 679634

Larch are blazing with colour.
View attachment 679635

View attachment 679636

Looks like a great way to spend the day!

I have a d009 mount tsumara bar on that 655. It wasn’t oiling as much I think it should have been. I lined the inner bar plate up to the bar and it looks like it might only be catching half the oil hole. Is it common to have to enlarge the husky bar Oiler hole to line up better ?

Bar plate was covering half the oil hole on the tsu bar. Think the bar plate was also sagging on the bar studs which wasn’t helping things either. Used a large drill bit to taper the oil hole a bit, then a smaller bit to enlarge the actual hole. To late to test it out, but should be a big improvement.

Anyone that doesn't get a smile on their face running a 655 has some serious issues. Awesome saws.
I have to be careful not to get something other than just a smile when running a 655 - or my rebuilt/ built P52, for that matter! Thanks again for the parts.

Hey guys. I have a pioneer 3270 and a pioneer 1074. Bought these a while back and just got around to looking at them.
Put carb kits and plugs in them and they run great. Started looking for an air filter cover for the 1074 and find out these are pretty rare.

Anyway before I go start sawing up all the trees on my acreage anyone interested in them?
6107b55d47930589812f230fc0017403.jpg
20ba5fc71a2d2ec5ef4ceec1c484aeb4.jpg
ee92fa092079a20ffceba5547523e700.jpg
f51c5903f0ff0facd151b99177d4403b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Hey guys. I have a pioneer 3270 and a pioneer 1074. Bought these a while back and just got around to looking at them.
Put carb kits and plugs in them and they run great. Started looking for an air filter cover for the 1074 and find out these are pretty rare.

Anyway before I go start sawing up all the trees on my acreage anyone interested in them?
6107b55d47930589812f230fc0017403.jpg
20ba5fc71a2d2ec5ef4ceec1c484aeb4.jpg
ee92fa092079a20ffceba5547523e700.jpg
f51c5903f0ff0facd151b99177d4403b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
A fellow BC guy, nice. Just seen the add on kijiji.

Great thread on the Pioneer saws!

I have a couple of questions I was hoping someone could answer.

First of all, does anyone know where you can get a chain tensioner bolt for a P25?

Secondly does anyone know what the gauge of the chain is for the 16" bar on the original P25 saw that was made in Peterborough back in the mid-seventies?

Latest posts

Back