Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@pioneerguy600

Well, today was a day kind of in waiting. I went over to my buddys shop and looked things over. I brought up chainsaws and asked him again what chains he was using. So he pulled a box out of the cupboard and said it did not say, other than what was written on the box (same guy told me they were 3/8"). I looked at it and it was a new Stihl chain marked 23 RS 67. My eyes lit up, until he told me he had a same chain, only used. So I said sure. He brought it out of a box marked the same as well. To my disappointment, it did NOT fit my saw. While he walked away, I went and grabbed a new Stihl chain in the box and opened it up, and took a couple pictures with the sprocket. This was all about a minute till he blew a fuse when he saw I opened a new chain.:) He then gave me s%$t for opening his new chain to take the pictures. Anyways, after the fact, I do now feel confident that the chain I am after is indeed .325" by what I saw, and is in the pictures. Now for the next problem... DL count. Oregon says 66DL for my saw, however, his chain is a Stihl chain and has 67DL count that did NOT fit on the saw and 16" bar. I regretably did not take a picture of how short it was, but I am thinking I need 2 more DL's on the chain to make it fit. SO if I am correct, and it is a .325 chain, can anyone please tell me what the DL count they have on a 16" bar is, I will be greatly appreciative. I am now getting closer to solving this mystery, with the help of some of the great people on here. I hope these pictures help with confirming the .325" chain. Thank you again to those who have been helping and supporting me along the way.
cs1.jpg cs2.jpg cs3.jpg

@pioneerguy600

Jerry,

There is a substitute OMC outboard coil for the 600 - 700 series saws. Do you know which one it is?

Thanks

I know there is but I never needed one only that they came off the older OMC outboards. I can remember seeing them on some of the 1950`s small single outboards but I have no numbers or the like for them.

Pioneer bar and chain chart says 69 dl of .325 chain for a 16" bar, the bars on that chart are either hard nose or sprocket nose, no roller nose bars on that chart. Sounds like a 69 will fit but I cannot guarantee that.

Great, thank you for the information. I can now assume that a 69 DL chain will fit, as from what I saw, three more links would fit and be good. Thanks again.

Thanks Jerry. I think CBFarmall or MMark may know. I'll try them.
Hi Fossil
The coil substitute was for the omc ignition coils found on the nu-17/750/850 and other large saws.

You can buy them through napa auto parts in Canada for about $45. You can also buy the points and condensers from Napa. No idea what the part number is.

Otherwise just look for evinrude ignition parts on Ebay and get a cheap one on a lamination. That's what I did for the past 2 I needed. Just pressed them off the lamination, put new spark plug wire in and they all worked.

I have an old number in my notes but it does not specify it fits a 600 series saw and no idea when or if it was me that made the note. The number is for a Prestolite OMC coil, if anyone wants to search for it there is a chance it may be close to fitting a 600 series saw, maybe yes,maybe no, not at all certain, #583249. Finding one that fit the center post of the lamination was the most difficult part of coil swapping, I was lucky with having coils for the 600 series but the older saws like the NU17 had older varnish covered coils that often were split all to bits and water damaged them. I did get several running again using 600 series coils on the original downsized lamination.

Thanks guys. I always appreciate the help.
If you find something that is a direct fit let us know, it would be good to have the info here in the thread and I would certainly put it in my Pioneer library. I know Sierra Marine now sells replacements and some NOS OMC coils for the outboard repair business.

Been a long time since I've posted on this forum. I have my dad's old p50 that will not rev beyond 9550 rpm. Has a new module I bought from JJ several years ago and seems to be limited, just like the old factory one. The carburator has had the governor removed and would turn 12800 on a 655bp I tried it out on to eliminate that possibility. Question is whether the taper is the same on flywheel between two saws so I can pick up a flywheel, ignition and cylinder to increase the top rpm?
Thanks
James

Been a long time since I've posted on this forum. I have my dad's old p50 that will not rev beyond 9550 rpm. Has a new module I bought from JJ several years ago and seems to be limited, just like the old factory one. The carburator has had the governor removed and would turn 12800 on a 655bp I tried it out on to eliminate that possibility. Question is whether the taper is the same on flywheel between two saws so I can pick up a flywheel, ignition and cylinder to increase the top rpm?
Thanks
James
Does it have a 3 piece ignition? Either way it's strange, I have never run across a limited coil on the large p series. Does the exhaust port have a lot of carbon in it?

It's a three piece if I remember correctly. The ports are very opened. It pulls a 9 pin on 30" bar great. Starts and runs perfect up till it catches limiter. Open to any other suggestions.
Thanks
James

It's a three piece if I remember correctly. The ports are very opened. It pulls a 9 pin on 30" bar great. Starts and runs perfect up till it catches limiter. Open to any other suggestions.
Thanks
James
I pulled the 3-piece off of my 50. Ended up mounting a solid state coil off of a 3.7 Roper. The armature was big enough to drill holes and it mounted without the need for tabs or hold downs. Those flywheels run the same polarity as many huskies. A coil from a 61/272 would work if it could be mounted with either a fabricated bracket or such. I recall someone using a 365 type coil with a hold down on a 61 or 655. Been a while. Looking for the post....

Tim refers to the post here.

https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/pioneer-chainsaws.70698/page-669#post-6796382

I pulled the 3-piece off of my 50. Ended up mounting a solid state coil off of a 3.7 Roper. The armature was big enough to drill holes and it mounted without the need for tabs or hold downs. Those flywheels run the same polarity as many huskies. A coil from a 61/272 would work if it could be mounted with either a fabricated bracket or such. I recall someone using a 365 type coil with a hold down on a 61 or 655. Been a while. Looking for the post....

Tim refers to the post here.

https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/pioneer-chainsaws.70698/page-669#post-6796382

upload_2019-6-18_9-34-12.png

upload_2019-6-18_9-34-51.png

I dont normally post in this thread but I'm sure I will have many questions about my most recent project.
Starting with, is there supposed to be a screen in the sediment bowl like on a tractor?
Also having problems with the recoil. I removed it and lubricated it and got it working free off the saw but when I bolt it on it binds, pulls hard, and wont retract.
The saw is complete, has spark, and compression is good so we are off to a good start.
246184b1c1da06f3bd497b9e9138e119.jpg
40e7c604d0dc3c79937e2f505f463eda.jpg
8c3c43b80e5a93d48c1cfa5162d344d8.jpg
9970599f9c89da90fbee4968731ab155.jpg
08164101ee1f5a059823c247e529f1e2.jpg
3a65688355d6a5045f2f78edac951a32.jpg
2a333c5e40239a95b7ea3e934271c700.jpg
5ba199701617263b2c5c32872e7a766e.jpg

Latest posts

Back