Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes but when I tighten it down it locks up.
The clutch
Here is a couple pictures to show what im dealing with. This was someone's parts saw that im reviving so it may be missing or even have the wrong parts so any help is greatly appreciated.View attachment 747653 View attachment 747654 View attachment 747655

Jason, I think I see two washers behind the clutch drum, there should only be one in the back, one inside the drum behind the clutch carrier and some models like the 40 had one just behind the locking nut while others had none, that washer was not always used as long as the nut tightened the clutch carrier up tight to the step in the crankshaft. Difficult to tell if all your parts are original but the clutch shoes look to be in the correct orientation with the bevel in the trailing position. When the locking nut is torqued down the drum and drive rim should be able to float in and out on the crank stub a good 1/8" or more, if its binding then there is a problem with the assembly or parts compatibility.

Well.... Just when I thought it was over. I went to replace the fuel line and had a couple of mixed feelings. I was happy that there was only one fuel line. However, I was stumpped when I went to try and replace the line in the tank, a couple questions had arose. How in the world does one replace the line in the tank? Since I could not see the connection in the tank, I looked in the top carburetor area. I see a silver fitting where I had replace the line to the carburetor that had hexagon sides. So I tried to remove the fitting, thinking the line was attached on the other side. Well, it is VERY tight. Also, I coule not find a wrench suitable to fit the hex. Would anyone here happn to know if I have to remove that fitting to replace the tank line? And if so would you also happen to know what size wrench is required to do it? I tried 3/8, 10mm, 9mm without any luck. A crescent wrench has no room to turn in there either. The piece I am asking about is being pointed to with my screwdriver.

And just a couple other quick questions if I may. In the same picture mentioned above, there is a brass 'nipple' also near the fitting (just above the middle of the screwdriver). There was nothing hooked up to it. Is that correct, or is there supposed to be another line going somewhere? And lastly, Can someone please verify that the carburetor pictured is a Tillitson HU-15 series so I can order a gasket kit.

Thank you for all your help and time again, it is greatly appreciated.

67033900_470406147108161_4122834670452736000_n.jpg 67326170_351682715759076_6867302451721011200_n.jpg

That,s your ground wire there is a ground screw on the side or just ground any where for your kill switch to work you will need to ground this wire

The on off switch was broken so I sourced one out of my homelite pile, had to do some machining to get the clutch to work, lots of missing nuts and bolts, only available Piston was a little red Barn, I had to do some filing inside of it so the connecting rod would fit properly, probably 10-12 hours of hand sanding salvaging the cylinder, had to replace some old brittle wiring on the coil, clean like crazy, fabricate a bucking spike, clean and rebuild carborator, repair cracked carborator adapter, new seals and all gaskets, new bar and chain. I also noticed a crack forming on the bottom down by the handle. I dremeled it out, cleaned and used the JB weld steel bond stuff. It came out nice..... I think that about covers it.

Latest posts

Back