Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P-42 parts

Does anyone happen to have a flywheel for a P-42 laying around that they would like to part with? My son was cutting the other day and flipped the saw on it's side, said he heard a funny noise, but the saw kept cutting good and running well. After he shut it off, the starter wouldn't engage. We looked in the screen and saw a lot of pieces laying inside. After removing the cover, we saw almost all the fins missing on the flywheel and a screw laying in the bottom. A screw came out of the case and fell into the flywheel.

Joe

:cry::dizzy::cry:

They are hard to find. I asked about one for a P52 which is the same flywheel and I have not had any response. Flywheels from the P42, P52, P62, PP405, PP525, and 655 will all work. Same part number. You can also use the flywheel from the later P39's, but make sure they are the ones with the black Phelon ignition module. The P39's with the blue module use a different flywheel.

P-42 flywheel

They are hard to find. I asked about one for a P52 which is the same flywheel and I have not had any response. Flywheels from the P42, P52, P62, PP405, PP525, and 655 will all work. Same part number. You can also use the flywheel from the later P39's, but make sure they are the ones with the black Phelon ignition module. The P39's with the blue module use a different flywheel.

Thanks for the quick reply. I did find out that Rottmans has them at a price of $47.60 + shipping. I querried them with part number 475803 and they replied that it was replaced by 433294 which I believe is a Poulan Pro model 405 part number. Think I'll search the WEB some more and see if I can find it cheaper. I'll post on here if I find one cheaper.

BTW, put 507 in front of the Poulan number to get a good search (507433294).

Last edited:
Does anyone happen to have a flywheel for a P-42 laying around that they would like to part with? My son was cutting the other day and flipped the saw on it's side, said he heard a funny noise, but the saw kept cutting good and running well. After he shut it off, the starter wouldn't engage. We looked in the screen and saw a lot of pieces laying inside. After removing the cover, we saw almost all the fins missing on the flywheel and a screw laying in the bottom. A screw came out of the case and fell into the flywheel.

Joe

:cry::dizzy::cry:

Will one off a pioneer farmsaw work? I have a parts farmsaw if that will work.

$47.60 looks like a bargain price to me. I paid around $100 for one for a P52 from Poulan and that was probably 6 years ago. The farmsaw flywheel will not work. Different ignition module and different starter setup. You have to use the correct one as the key is in different positions on different flywheels. I found that out the hard way with a P62 that I picked up. Someone had put on the wrong flywheel because they thought it looked the same. When you tried to start the saw it would kick back so hard it yanked the pull cord right out of your hand. Once I found the right flywheel the saw would start up and run fine. Took longer for the bruises to heal.

tank vents

Have a question....
Does anyone know where i can get replacement gas tank vents for a p25 and p40????

FELLNORTH, I have an inline tank vent that holds 3psi pressure for the P25. They were sold as an alternative to the in-casting vent which often failed.

If your saw is holding TOO MUCH pressure you'll have to remove the flywheel and pop out the vent plug, then remove the guts of the pressure valve and make sure the passageway is clear. You then press a new plug in and attach the inline vent to the vent exit hose that travels through the carb compartment and out to the clutch side. I have the valve and plug (both sizes).

If the saw is holding NO pressure (a more likely scenario) then you can just go ahead and attach the valve to the line.

For the P40, the valve is in the filler cap. To replace this you just disassemble the cap and replace the rubber component. I may have one of these used. Send me a P.M.

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick reply. I did find out that Rottmans has them at a price of $47.60 + shipping. I querried them with part number 475803 and they replied that it was replaced by 433294 which I believe is a Poulan Pro model 405 part number. Think I'll search the WEB some more and see if I can find it cheaper. I'll post on here if I find one cheaper.

BTW, put 507 in front of the Poulan number to get a good search (507433294).

Hi Joe-

I have some new-in-the-box flywheels I'd let go for much cheaper than Rottman's.

fellnorth, i have an inline tank vent that holds 3psi pressure for the p25. They were sold as an alternative to the in-casting vent which often failed.

If your saw is holding too much pressure you'll have to remove the flywheel and pop out the vent plug, then remove the guts of the pressure valve and make sure the passageway is clear. You then press a new plug in and attach the inline vent to the vent exit hose that travels through the carb compartment and out to the clutch side. I have the valve and plug (both sizes).

If the saw is holding no pressure (a more likely scenario) then you can just go ahead and attach the valve to the line.

For the p40, the valve is in the filler cap. To replace this you just disassemble the cap and replace the rubber component. I may have one of these used. Send me a p.m.

thanx for the reply, both of the "duck bills" are rotted and decayed and leak gas like a sive.....

P25 Bar Puzzle

I am trying to plan ahead for my P25 restore. There is quite the bar mount pattern mystery for this saw.

According to Oregon Tech support the D007 is an obsolete but the correct mount for this saw and they say the closest available is a D176. However, Baileys bar search engine produces D024 mount bars and Acres shows K095 as the Oregon pattern! I have attached 2 files from Oregon showing all 4 of these mount patterns.

Can anyone tell me for sure what is the correct one?

Studs measure a smidge under 8mm. So D176 or K095 seem most likely to me depending on oiler hole location I suppose. D024 seems way wrong as does D007.

:chainsaw:

As long as they will fit a P-42, I would certainly be interested. Let me know how much + shipping to ZIP 15301 (Washington, PA).

Thanks,
Joe

Jacob J. I am also interested in one. Let me know how much with shipping to Sebringville, Ontario, Canada, N0K 1X0. Thanks.

I'll dig them out and let you guys know later today. I still have quite a few new ignition and intake parts and some exterior parts for the 40/41/42 and 50/51/52/60/61/62 saws.

I am trying to plan ahead for my P25 restore. There is quite the bar mount pattern mystery for this saw.

According to Oregon Tech support the D007 is an obsolete but the correct mount for this saw and they say the closest available is a D176. However, Baileys bar search engine produces D024 mount bars and Acres shows K095 as the Oregon pattern! I have attached 2 files from Oregon showing all 4 of these mount patterns.

Can anyone tell me for sure what is the correct one?

Studs measure a smidge under 8mm. So D176 or K095 seem most likely to me depending on oiler hole location I suppose. D024 seems way wrong as does D007.

:chainsaw:

No new direct fit bars made today, all of the above bars will fit with a little modification to the adjuster hole and or the oil supply hole. Only NOS bars are a direct fit.
Pioneerguy600

Oregon Tech support is wrong. The D007 mount is for the larger P series, which had 3/8" bar studs, as opposed to the 5/16" on the p25. You could use the D007 on the smaller saws, but you need the spacer, kind of an S shaped clip that fits over the studs to make them equivalent to 3/8". It's easy to modify D009 large Husky mount bars to D007 specs. You just need to file a wee bit out of the bar slot to fit the 3/8" studs. The oil & adjuster holes usually, but not always line up perfectly.

P25 Bar Puzzle

After some investigation I think the D176 is the closest. I agree the D007 is way off!

The oiler hole in the D176 is questionable and coincidentally on my ProMac 650 it has an original D176 one way bar (non-flippable). The top tensioner hole is rectangle and it doubles as one of the two oiler hole paths. If this is normal for a D176 it may work as is...

Anyone using a D176 on a P25? (I also think it's the same mount as my 1073).

After some investigation I think the D176 is the closest. I agree the D007 is way off!

The oiler hole in the D176 is questionable and coincidentally on my ProMac 650 it has an original D176 one way bar (non-flippable). The top tensioner hole is rectangle and it doubles as one of the two oiler hole paths. If this is normal for a D176 it may work as is...

Anyone using a D176 on a P25? (I also think it's the same mount as my 1073).

What length of bar are you looking for? Hard nose original or sprocket tip?
Pioneerguy600

Latest posts

Back