Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey guys, can I post here now since I am a Pioneer owner? :givebeer:

Seriously I have a question for you all. Seems since finding my Pioneer I learned there is not a lot out there in the way of IPL's and Manuals to be shared in PDF format.

I have been collecting manuals lately of all brands and finally got around to getting this complete 1971 Pioneer dealers manual set and got it mostly all scanned. Lots of IPL's and the complete shop manual for the Pioneer saws from then.

My question is the book set has a stack of service bulletins in it and is it worthwhile to scan this stack of them also? Are these documents out there already and am I wasting time doing them?

Here is also the double edge sword, I have no problems shareing these with you guys, so let me know if you need something and I will try to help you out but the last time I did this my PM box overflowed and it turned into a big job emailing them.

The whole set could be burned to a DVD and mailed but that takes time and money also.

I'm open to suggestions .

Seriously I have a question for you all. Seems since finding my Pioneer I learned there is not a lot out there in the way of IPL's and Manuals to be shared in PDF format.

I have been collecting manuals lately of all brands and finally got around to getting this complete 1971 Pioneer dealers manual set and got it mostly all scanned. Lots of IPL's and the complete shop manual for the Pioneer saws from then.

My question is the book set has a stack of service bulletins in it and is it worthwhile to scan this stack of them also? Are these documents out there already and am I wasting time doing them?

Here is also the double edge sword, I have no problems shareing these with you guys, so let me know if you need something and I will try to help you out but the last time I did this my PM box overflowed and it turned into a big job emailing them.

The whole set could be burned to a DVD and mailed but that takes time and money also.

PM me a price. :D

sell the CD on Ebay...I bet you can get $10 or $20 bucks for it a pop...

Naw maybe just shipping on this one. That might be best as you host em right?

Do I need to do the service bulletins?

Yes, I will host them and send out download links. :D

Normally I might be tempted to say scan them as they are needed, but with any old set of chainsaw documents I would opt for scanning them in their entirety so that they are not lost to history. The more hands that they are in - the greater the chance that they will remain available. :D

Let me know!

:cheers:

Naw maybe just shipping on this one. That might be best as you host em right?

Do I need to do the service bulletins?

Make it easy on yourself but IMO I can easily opt not to use any information provided. The problem occurs when I need it and it not provided.
Lou
Please forgive my lack of manners Mark; Welcome.

Last edited:

Mark;when you find out what to do with all that information let me know as I have so many shop manuals and IPL`s all in book and paper form. I have been thinking and asking questions as how to convert this paper to DVD or just have it scanned and reprinted but that still means it`s on paper. I have never figured out how to scan and then email out this info.
Pioneerguy600

Manuals

Yes, I will host them and send out download links. :D

Normally I might be tempted to say scan them as they are needed, but with any old set of chainsaw documents I would opt for scanning them in their entirety so that they are not lost to history. The more hands that they are in - the greater the chance that they will remain available. :D

Let me know!

:cheers:

I'm with Chris one this! I think there is probably a lot lost now.Or it is in the hands of a select few.As far as the manuals are concerned if it's IPL's or shop manuals I like to think that I would share and have shared.I mean how can we fix these Pioneer's up if we don't have the information available to us.I think it is one thing to keep a possible saw aqquistion private and possible part's source private.But I think we should be open to sharing repair information and IPl's..Just thoughts off the top of my head.What do you other fellas think?
Lawrence

Last edited:
Thanks. That sure looks good what kind of paint did you use, and did you have to bake it to cure?

+ I use a multi component paint on all my saws now. I did start out using automotive Arcrylic and epoxy paints but now use Urethane multi component paint over either epoxy primer or acid etch primer. I have been painting for 30 years or so and make a decision on which paints and primers to use according to the condition of the metal I am considering painting. Real smooth metal gets epoxy primer, I don`t have to sand this primer and the paint lays smoothly over it. For porous magnesium I use acid etch primer and do some sanding,filling and also use some high build primer, sand and repeat until the surface is real nice and smooth. I will post a pict of the last RA i restored, the RA`s were sand cast magnesium that were very porous and had a lot of rough casting marks on them. I spent nearly 20 hours just sanding and smoothing the saw body before laying on the paint.

IMG_3752.JPG

Pioneerguy600

Mark;when you find out what to do with all that information let me know as I have so many shop manuals and IPL`s all in book and paper form. I have been thinking and asking questions as how to convert this paper to DVD or just have it scanned and reprinted but that still means it`s on paper. I have never figured out how to scan and then email out this info.
Pioneerguy600

Jerry, actually Chris is the one that got me pointed in the direction to do this. I guess alot of scanners come with software that will let you do it, but I got pointed to a freeware program that I have been using.

You just scan the image's then use this program to "print" them to the program instead of you printer. Pretty easy actually if I can do it. :clap:

You need to fool around a little with the scanning process to not end up with too large of a PDF file yet you still need enough resolution for a file that is clear enough for easy viewing.

The thing is its very time consuming! Maybe a newer scanner can do it a little faster then mine.

Thing is we should put this stuff out there as to what we already have.

For example theres no use in you scanning all the files that I have already done.

If you noticed that I'm doing these while I'm on medical leave! Its the only way that I can get the time to do a bunch of them at once, and the fact that this manual set is borrowed and I have to return it sometime.

Chris does a good job of hosting the files for others to download, I just have not had time to get into that also.

I intend to make sure these are available to you guys for sure.

The thing is its very time consuming! Maybe a newer scanner can do it a little faster then mine.

hi Mark. scanning is a labor of love. I have done hundreds of old saw ads the last few years.

need a good scanner and a good computer for sure. most of my stuff I load on the web to post.

mine are just image files and I have not done any pdf yet. I set my scanner according to the pics or text so they can be read ok.

If you did do a whole bunch the CD idea sounds like a good idea like mcbob did with mac.

here are a few pioneeer scans.

iel57.jpg

58pioneer.jpg

57pioneer.jpg

I have 50+ Pioneer IPLs already in PDF format. These include some IEL, Pioneer/Partner, Poulan Pro, and Target ones. I'll have to try to make a list of them so no one has to go through the hassle of scanning them again. I also have paper versions of all saws from IEL model AB up to the P61. I've been meaning to scan the ones I don't already have, but as Mark said, it's a pile of work, and I already have enough work to keep me busy it seems...

Thanks Mark. I don`t want all the info I have to be lost and a hosting setup sounds a good way to go as long as it is open to everyone that needs to retrieve it. I don`t have a IPL for every saw that IEL and Pioneer made so if a group of us all got this thing going maybe between us we could cover all models. It sounds like Artie has a full set that might cover all the saws but as is said it is a lot of work and effort to get them all scanned and then sent to a hosting setup.I will watch the thread to see further developments.

Pioneerguy600

Aviator25, that is one beautiful restoration. You should be very proud. I know how much work that is and that series of saw in particular is quite difficult to work on. I'm glad all the parts worked for you, it's great to see the finished project!

I have 50+ Pioneer IPLs already in PDF format. These include some IEL, Pioneer/Partner, Poulan Pro, and Target ones. I'll have to try to make a list of them so no one has to go through the hassle of scanning them again. I also have paper versions of all saws from IEL model AB up to the P61. I've been meaning to scan the ones I don't already have, but as Mark said, it's a pile of work, and I already have enough work to keep me busy it seems...

Now you tell me :ices_rofl:

I would have gladly paid $10 for you to burn a CD and mail it instead of scanning them all.

I will also make up a list of what I have.

Now you tell me :ices_rofl:

I would have gladly paid $10 for you to burn a CD and mail it instead of scanning them all.

I will also make up a list of what I have.

You fellas are the ones that have document collections with substance, but I have a couple as well.

My first goal for collecting documents is to keep them from being lost forever, which leads to my second goal of sharing them.

Where should we post the list of documents that we have?

Shall we post them in this thread?

You fellas are the ones that have document collections with substance, but I have a couple as well.

My first goal for collecting documents is to keep them from being lost forever, which leads to my second goal of sharing them.

Where should we post the list of documents that we have?

Shall we post them in this thread?

No, I don't think so but I'm not sure where. The Infomainacs place maybe?

I think it would take me a week to list all that I have.

Back