Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone know anything about this saw? I have no idea on the model, its for sale locally.

attachment.php

Iel ab

Did you see the red one? Theres two saws total in all those attachments.

Those IEL AB saws are in good condition for their age. They are very heavy for their size. It would take a strong man to use one of them all day. I have 3 of them, but one needs a fuel tank. If you ever see a AB fuel tank up in the NE, I would be interested in up to two of them, one for my AB and one for my IEL Beaver.

Iel

Cool, thanks, I did find it over there. Is it anything special though? Should I buy it or not.
Hi Will
Not sure if it's anything specia,l except for the fact it's an IEL. I mean that's special enough,right?
If you scoop it up I have some information on it as in IPL and maybe some technical stuff.
Lawrence

Need help with my 970

I have a pristine 970 with the OMC carb, and missing primer. Is there a sourse for nos or used primers or primer parts? I would like to keep the OMC carb if possible. If not, would the conversion kits still be available? Thanks, Art

Hi Art

If your talking about the rubber type push in bulb primers someone on here might have one.I know someone also used a bulb primer from another machine and made a go of it.Have you tried ebay?
Lawrence

Hey I just picked up a Pioneer on Ebay, and wondering if you guru's could help me out, and tell me which model it is.

Pioneer P41 Chainsaw, Chainsaw Parts - eBay (item 120748292922 end time Jul-17-11 18:58:06 PDT)

It definitely is not a P41 wrap handle, as the P41 was more rounded off. Also, it has a hole for a manual oiler which is missing. P41's didn't have manual oilers I don't think. My guess is P60 series, but you tell me. I don't know what else to look for. I need a wrap handle bar for my P60, so I figured I would buy this one. It might end up being a better saw than the one I have.

Hey I just picked up a Pioneer on Ebay, and wondering if you guru's could help me out, and tell me which model it is.

Pioneer P41 Chainsaw, Chainsaw Parts - eBay (item 120748292922 end time Jul-17-11 18:58:06 PDT)

It definitely is not a P41 wrap handle, as the P41 was more rounded off. Also, it has a hole for a manual oiler which is missing. P41's didn't have manual oilers I don't think. My guess is P60 series, but you tell me. I don't know what else to look for. I need a wrap handle bar for my P60, so I figured I would buy this one. It might end up being a better saw than the one I have.

The top handle is definitely from a P60 series saw but there is no oiler. That part fits all saws from P38 up to 655. The full wrap handle and the label on the air filter makes me think P42 Western. The lower handle appears to have a small hook at the back (P42). Hard to tell by the photos. Measuring the distance between the bottom rubber mount will tell for sure when you get the saw. The front handle from the 40's will also be to short for the 50 and 60 series saws.
If it turns out to be a 50 or 60 you have scored a great saw.
Let us know when you get the saw

The top handle is definitely from a P60 series saw but there is no oiler. That part fits all saws from P38 up to 655. The full wrap handle and the label on the air filter makes me think P42 Western. The lower handle appears to have a small hook at the back (P42). Hard to tell by the photos. Measuring the distance between the bottom rubber mount will tell for sure when you get the saw. The front handle from the 40's will also be to short for the 50 and 60 series saws.
If it turns out to be a 50 or 60 you have scored a great saw.
Let us know when you get the saw

Thanks man.

Hey guys, I just got a Pioneer 400 for 5 bucks the other day.
Its got compression, and spark. Its a VERY clean saw, but it is missing the air filter, and the cover. And the Clutch Cover.
Question number 1.
How do I get to the carb? LOL

Question number 2.
Seems the recoil cord wont pull all the way out... should I tear down the recoil to see if its gunked up?

Need a gas cap for P42

I picked up a P42 at the flea market about 6 years ago for $60.00, needed a new chain but otherwise is a great saw. Now it's been sitting for about 4 years and it seems the gas cap swelled up on it. Got it out with a pair of channel locks but now it wont fit back in. Anyone know where I might be able to get a new gas cap?

Hey guys, I just got a Pioneer 400 for 5 bucks the other day.
Its got compression, and spark. Its a VERY clean saw, but it is missing the air filter, and the cover. And the Clutch Cover.
Question number 1.
How do I get to the carb? LOL

Question number 2.
Seems the recoil cord wont pull all the way out... should I tear down the recoil to see if its gunked up?

You need to remove the rear handle, the carb is underneath it.

It would be best to completely tear the saw down, clean and lube every moving part, the recoil on these saws is a very intresting setup using a pinion gear setup, needs to be lubed well.

You need to remove the rear handle, the carb is underneath it.

It would be best to completely tear the saw down, clean and lube every moving part, the recoil on these saws is a very intresting setup using a pinion gear setup, needs to be lubed well.

thanks for the tip Jerry!

I got the saw, and as an update it is definitely a P41 and not a P60. The dead giveaway was the lack of a decomp valve. I looked again and this could not be seen in the pictures. It is in nice shape though. I will probably end up fixing it. I have a parts saw for the missing pieces. The handle bar is going on my P60 though.

Back