Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pics of the P60 just as a received it. Most of the grime you see will probably wipe off:
Changed out fuel line and filter. Still not drawing fuel. Opened up carb, blew carb cleaner through all orifices, got metering needle unstuck and cleaned its passage. Noted metering diaphragm is good, but pump diaphragm is a bit brittle. Didn't have my bulb to pressure check. Still won't pull fuel. Probably looking a good soaking and carb kit.

Got a call from NFL. They want to use my P60 for baseline strength tests at the combine to see how many times potential draft prospects can curl it.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
Pics of the P60 just as a received it. Most of the grime you see will probably wipe off:
Changed out fuel line and filter. Still not drawing fuel. Opened up carb, blew carb cleaner through all orifices, got metering needle unstuck and cleaned its passage. Noted metering diaphragm is good, but pump diaphragm is a bit brittle. Didn't have my bulb to pressure check. Still won't pull fuel. Probably looking a good soaking and carb kit.

Got a call from NFL. They want to use my P60 for baseline strength tests at the combine to see how many times potential draft prospects can curl it.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Nice saw. Interesting handle. Somebody took apart a full wrap and left you with half of it.

Is the decomp there? If it's not, you do good just to pull the string. These are great old saws, simple as an anvil.:rock:

attachment.php

Well, it's not a P-60, but this is what I did today. I got this on Ebay probably a year ago for really cheap, it was sold as no spark. I got it home and pulled the muffler, piston looked good, and then I put it under the bench and forgot it till yesterday.

It's a P-40, high serial number saw but it has the early style pinion starter so someone was swapping parts at one time or another. Carb kit and fuel lines and it runs good. It stinks badly of stale gas though, the guy even shipped it with the old gas in it!

The no spark was just dirty points.:msp_biggrin:

Little tip for anyone tearing one of these down, a P-40 is left hand thread on the flywheel nut. And I found out today that a 40 has a proprietary muffler, the exhaust port is a little smaller than any other saws of this series.

Last edited:
Nice saw. Interesting handle. Somebody took apart a full wrap and left you with half of it.

Is the decomp there? If it's not, you do good just to pull the string. These are great old saws, simple as an anvil.:rock:

You know, I wonder if the previous owner took the one side off the full wrap so the saw would fit in the red box you see in the pics. If she's got a decomp, I must have missed it. I was joking about the weight, but I don't think it outweighs my P41 by much. Anyway, DSS, glad you got the P40 going. The P60 really stinks of stale gas, too. On the other hand, the smell of fresh 2-stroke exhaust from a newly resurrected saw smells wonderful.

decomps

You know, I wonder if the previous owner took the one side off the full wrap so the saw would fit in the red box you see in the pics. If she's got a decomp, I must have missed it. I was joking about the weight, but I don't think it outweighs my P41 by much. Anyway, DSS, glad you got the P40 going. The P60 really stinks of stale gas, too. On the other hand, the smell of fresh 2-stroke exhaust from a newly resurrected saw smells wonderful.

My P50 never had a Decomp and its SO much fun to pull over, even worst now with new rings!!! my P61 was plugged and worn out and it hurt just thinking about touching the starter rope. Guess I'll be putting a decomp in it when I get a set of Mcculloch Kart rings filed down for it.

Duane

The decomp is in that hole to the left of the spark plug, directly below the kill switch. If it's not there, you really should get one if for no other reason than your recoil parts will last a lot longer.

I agree about the weight, not much more than a P-40/41, and I can't tell the difference at all from a P-50. Funny story about the handle.

Chris

Rings for P26, 1074

I need some help locating a supplier of rings for the small "P" saws. Also, I'm still looking for a primer, working or not, for a model 970. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Art

I need some help locating a supplier of rings for the small "P" saws. Also, I'm still looking for a primer, working or not, for a model 970. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Art

Bailey's - PISTON RING SET 1074

Baileys is showing them as available, but you'll have to call and see.

I can't help with the primer, I think that is a rare item.

My newest addition. this one I'm more proud of than all my others combined!!! feebay special but wasn't very much. ALL original never been apart, NO cracks or funk!
Still has Pioneer bar and the ORIGINAL Pioneer chain, ( appears to be 1/2" pitch) maybe 404, have to measure it, and Pioneer rim sprocket too.

The Inject Aire kinda confuses me? it says remove cover, but theres nothing there, thinkin it was a additional option or?

Saw has compression thats outta site! I'm barely man enough to pull it over. Piston and cylinder are spotless, piston has all its machine marks still, thick ring too. LOUD!!! is an under statement for this 77cc thing with its Double barrel muffler.

Duane

View attachment 227772View attachment 227773View attachment 227774View attachment 227775View attachment 227776

Anyone have IPL's or manuals with specs.

Sounds like you got the right answer from Mr. 600. My buddy's 3270 didn't have Inject Aire, as he recalls.

I have dealt with an air bleed on a couple of carbs on four-strokers, incl. an odd-ball carb I ran on on an F250 with a 390 a long time ago. Similar concept, I think. You probably have it figured out by now, anyway.

Hillwilliam

Have my P61 in bits again now have broken a ring pinched in the lands ,I put second hand ones in it when i got it, still on the orig piston It was seized, it has the thin ones is there a common ring that fits? or piston out of something else? Its impossible to get parts in new zealand

Have my P61 in bits again now have broken a ring pinched in the lands ,I put second hand ones in it when i got it, still on the orig piston It was seized, it has the thin ones is there a common ring that fits? or piston out of something else? Its impossible to get parts in new zealand

Those thin rings are the hardest rings to find. I gave a fellow member a P&C set a short while ago that needed the thin rings to complete the set. he was told by many on here there was an abundance of those rings around and gave addresses to where they can be found. I think he tried them all and I will check back with him to see if any were ever found.

P61 thin rings

Found out you can use Mcculloch 101 Kart motor rings wich are 2.28" versus P61 at 2.25" just need to file the end gap into specs. Theres other brands in the range too. (Homelite 550 etc) Just make sure there Std size not over sized as Mcculloch had cast iron liners you could bore out.

Duane

Last edited:

Those rings are still available, I got a set at rottmans but they are cheaper at jacks small engines(wish I'd bought them there). If they won't ship them to you send me a pm and I'll get them and ship them to you.
Kevin

Poulan PISTON RING SET P60 507475227

Last edited:
Those rings are still available, I got a set at rottmans but they are cheaper at jacks small engines(wish I'd bought them there). If they won't ship them to you send me a pm and I'll get them and ship them to you.
Kevin

Poulan PISTON RING SET P60 507475227

I ordered the P62 thin rings from Jacks.But never got them.I got a set of thick rings from him.I will just have them ground down to .024 and use them.

61/62 rings

I ordered the P62 thin rings from Jacks.But never got them.I got a set of thick rings from him.I will just have them ground down to .024 and use them.

I too never got my rings!!!! seems everything I order anymore from anyone gets back ordered too????? been over 6 months. I was shipped thick rings instead of thins a while back for my P42 had to send them back.

I found the Mcculloch Sp125/mc101 kart engine rings work great. $20.00 a set off feebay.

GRINDING DOWN??? cast rings in place of tool steel thins isn't going to work very good! IMO

Duane

Back