Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P-51 Cylinder and Piston

So I got the carb rebuilt and a new reed block installed and that fixed the big air leak that was going on. Thanks for all the help on that part of the project.

I finally bought a good compression tester and found the compression on this saw was 130. Looked through the exhaust port and decided to pull the cylinder. This is what I found.

The cylinder walls look and feel fine to my novice eye. The piston looks good too. But, in the top of the cylinder, on the sides of the piston, and inside of the muffler are coated with black crud. I'm guessing this saw ran rich for a long time.

My thought was to clean all the crud off everything and install new rings. Looking to see if iI'm on the right path here. Any advice on cleaning the baked on gunk?
IMG_20140929_021919_349.jpg IMG_20140929_021919_349.jpg IMG_20140929_021748_460.jpg IMG_20140929_021816_669.jpg IMG_20140929_022329_093.jpg

back to the drawing board on the coil idea. It will idle but when throttled it cuts out sometimes and sometimes it doesn't almost like a rev limiter. The coil came off a very crusty saw so it might just be that the coil itself is bad. At idle it does seem like it might be a tad to far advanced, but doesn't bite back when started. Will have to try a couple more things.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

P-51 Cylinder and Piston

So I got the carb rebuilt and a new reed block installed and that fixed the big air leak that was going on. Thanks for all the help on that part of the project.

I finally bought a good compression tester and found the compression on this saw was 130. Looked through the exhaust port and decided to pull the cylinder. This is what I found.

The cylinder walls look and feel fine to my novice eye. The piston looks good too. But, in the top of the cylinder, on the sides of the piston, and inside of the muffler are coated with black crud. I'm guessing this saw ran rich for a long time.

My thought was to clean all the crud off everything and install new rings. Looking to see if iI'm on the right path here. Any advice on cleaning the baked on gunk?
View attachment 371030 View attachment 371031 View attachment 371032 View attachment 371033 View attachment 371034

The P types with the thin rings don't pump much compression when testing but, seem to run fine at 120 plus.

I also got a gear drive 850 bow saw too , waiting on to work on that one and make a vid , these saws were hard to find over here in Virginia as they were to only examples I have seen !!!!! to me they seemed like very powerful saws if the above 750 had decent compression , I think it would be bad A$$
I need some rings to complete it

does anyonw know if the pioneer p61 top end will fit the poulan 655? cause to my understanding the p62 and p61 interchange, and so do the poulan 655 and p62, so why not the p61? i could be wrong please verify!!! thanks

Hey all, had this in its own thread but thought I'd share it here as well. Pioneer 11-30 I fixed up for a buddy. Here's what I did: Homemade air filter and how I affixed the rope to the pulley and handle for the starter. Looped through the theee holes then a small nut glued on the rope and then the end rope melted on top to prevent backing out, so far no movement and is solid.
qavu5ade.jpg
gytupesy.jpg
satypura.jpg
u7y7egy7.jpg
tuzagy5u.jpg
saw is wearing an original pioneer rollernose along with a rim sprocket

Thanks, any ideas on how to clean the burnt crap off of everything?

Do you mean the black/ brown on the piston? I'm not sure I'd worry about it, but others may have different opinions based on more knowledge.
I think I'd clean the exhaust port really well and put it back together.

Good ol' P51 is my first Pioneer. Bought it new, immediately modified it, and it's still running strong after all these years.

Back