Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just thought I'd drop by and upload a couple pics of the IEL RA poster I just mounted on my shop wall. It's very nice, almost exactly to size with the RA. I copied it in high res from a NOS RA double page brochure and had it printed on canvas. I had to have two made in order to get the price down to what I considered reasonable but they did an excellent job at the sign shop. I could have had it on metal but that seemed excessive.

Forgot to mention it is bilingual!
IEL_Poster1.jpg

IEL_Poster2.jpg

Pioneer experts I need some help/advice. Have a Poulan Pro 405, which I believe is similar to a P41 and possibly a Farmsaw. I think I'm getting bar oil in the fuel tank as I see oil film n the fuel and the carb was slick with oil. Am I correct that the case gasket separates the two tanks and therefore I will need to replace the gasket? Any possibility of using Dirko instead of the gasket as it's NLA? Suggestions?
Bob

Pioneer experts I need some help/advice. Have a Poulan Pro 405, which I believe is similar to a P41 and possibly a Farmsaw. I think I'm getting bar oil in the fuel tank as I see oil film n the fuel and the carb was slick with oil. Am I correct that the case gasket separates the two tanks and therefore I will need to replace the gasket? Any possibility of using Dirko instead of the gasket as it's NLA? Suggestions?
Bob

First take the fuel cap off and check to see if there is a plate like the bigger P series saws have in them. It is a bolckoff plate that separates with time and sometimes completely falls off, before they fall off they often will leak bar oil into the fuel tank and vice versa.

Just thought I'd drop by and upload a couple pics of the IEL RA poster I just mounted on my shop wall. It's very nice, almost exactly to size with the RA. I copied it in high res from a NOS RA double page brochure and had it printed on canvas. I had to have two made in order to get the price down to what I considered reasonable but they did an excellent job at the sign shop. I could have had it on metal but that seemed excessive.

View attachment 386200

View attachment 386201

Sweet!! I would love to have one for my restored RA!

First take the fuel cap off and check to see if there is a plate like the bigger P series saws have in them. It is a bolckoff plate that separates with time and sometimes completely falls off, before they fall off they often will leak bar oil into the fuel tank and vice versa.
Ok, I'll look but my recollection is that all I can see is the case gasket.

The divider plate is located between the gas and bar oil caps in between the tanks
Ok,think I see it. It's at the very top and appears to have an aluminum type color when looking thru the fuel tank side. The sealant appears to be falling off. I imagine this requires a case split to reseal and a new case gasket as well. Bet the case gasket is NLA.
Bob

The plate can be removed, cleaned and resealed without splitting the case, many on here have done so. Case gaskets are hard to find but not impossible. I make most of mine from automotive type gasket material I get from a local engine building shop. They have sheets of gasket material in various thicknesses that I match as close as possible to the original.

The plate can be removed, cleaned and resealed without splitting the case, many on here have done so. Case gaskets are hard to find but not impossible. I make most of mine from automotive type gasket material I get from a local engine building shop. They have sheets of gasket material in varicaous thicknesses that I match as wellclose as thethepossible to the originveryal.

Thanks, I'll try to reseal with separating the case. Looks like little room to work,though. I have some sheet gasket but not sure it's the correct thickness.

What the heck did I buy...?

I picked up this Pioneer saw with a group of others on Monday evening, I did not get a chance to fool with them until today. It is decent size and currently has a 24" bar on it. Here a a couple of pictures in its dirty glory.

image.jpg image.jpg

The serial number tag is of little help to me...

image.jpg

Anyone help me on what this is (other than filthy)?

The saw in the photo is a FarmsawII Western . I never seen one before. At first I thought someone had switched the top handle but the serial tag proves otherwise. The serial tag FMII SHWstands for FMII(farmsaw2) SHW (S saftey chainbreak, H halfwrap handle and W Western) The FarmsawII is a common saw, I have never seen a Western version of it before. The parts list shows the only differance being the Western uses a better 3 shoe steel clutch and floating rim sprocket.
Very nice find.

Jeff,

Thank you for decoding the saw, seems a bit more uncommon than a P-38. I will try to clean it up tomorrow and see if it will fire. At 66 cc's it is larger than the P-38.

Gary

I just had a look at the service manual (never had the need to before, unfortunately) and they recommend Loctite 515 as a case gasket eliminator. I would think Dirko, Motoseal etc. work work fine for that.
interesting Tim. I removed the fuel/oil seperator piece and am figuring out how to reseal it and having it stay while the sealant hardens. Smaller hands would make it go easier. Thinking of putting JB weld on the edges of the J piece and then inserting it into the tank. May have to try some dry runs to see if my hands can place it w/o falling into the fuel tank.

Ok,think I see it. It's at the very top and appears to have an aluminum type color when looking thru the fuel tank side. The sealant appears to be falling off. I imagine this requires a case split to reseal and a new case gasket as well. Bet the case gasket is NLA.
Bob

Here is a pic of the plate and sealant you need to reseal.

Attachments

• DSCN0527.JPG
    DSCN0527.JPG
    113 KB · Views: 25
What the heck did I buy...?

I picked up this Pioneer saw with a group of others on Monday evening, I did not get a chance to fool with them until today. It is decent size and currently has a 24" bar on it. Here a a couple of pictures in its dirty glory.

View attachment 386474 View attachment 386475

The serial number tag is of little help to me...

View attachment 386476

Anyone help me on what this is (other than filthy)?

Never seen one, nice to have one in collection. Great find.

View attachment 386200

View attachment 386201

looks like a page out of my owners manual... would be interested in a copy, depend on $$$$...

Latest posts

Back