Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How was the case split? In a press or in a splitter? How was the crank installed? Same? Keyway straight? Rod bearing play? Dial indicate the crank?

I believe it is a forged crank but someone else can wade in on that. The saw was disassembled and assembled as per the service manual. In retrospect I should have put a dial indicator on the crank and checked it but I did not, too excited to build the saw. Looks like it will be coming apart again to check it. Can a forge crank bend with a loose bearing? My next big question is can a bent crank be straightened or is it junk?

First you better find the problem. Why was the saw taken apart? The reason I ask if you used a splitter was if it may have touched the crank.
If you pull the clutch or flywheel, dial indicate the ends of the crank. If you have a bad rod bearing it will knock and vibrate. Is it a directional piston where the wrist pin is bored off centre?
I have never seen a bent crank but I wasn't there :)

I purchased the saw for $40 knowing it had been sitting a long long time and needed a full rebuild. I put new bearings in the saw and everything felt good going back together. I will take your advice and pull the clutch and flywheel and check the crank ends. Thanks

Stihls hit the coils all the time when the TS700/800 cases crack. I think you are looking for something else. The flywheel is rotating when it touches so likely would not cause a bent crank but woult affect the keyway.

Any of you fine gents have an early big cube p series full wrap handle you’d spare. I’ve got the later style one on my p60 and I’d love to get a correct one on there. Aswell as a manual oil pump and plunger parts, for some reason this saw had the manual oiler pulled off. Bummer !

Thanks !

Can anyone help me out with a flywheel for a P60. Part number is 474645, I have other Pioneer flywheels P41, Farmsaw, and Farm light but they all show different part numbers. Any help would be appreciated. I have my eyes on Evil bay but nothing currently available. thanks

Is this to see if it will eliminate your vibration? I can loan you mine for testing.. if that’s any help. I drive to the coast everyday for work
Hello, that would be very kind of you to offer that. I am going to check out the crank and the clutch today to make sure it is the flywheel causing the vibration. If we could work something out that would be great. Thanks for the offer. I will get back to you after I check the other items that might be causing the vibration. I really think it is the problem but eliminating everything else is time well spent as parts are hard to find for these saws.

Thanks Cookie and Farmhand for your replies. After some more careful inspection I have found the problem. A bent flywheel fin. Not real bad about 2mm out of place but boy does it make the saw feel like a 98cc vibrator! I am going to try and move it back into place very gently with a bit of heat on the blade. It is worth a try until I locate another flywheel.

Attachments

• tempImageQJCJm1.png
    tempImageQJCJm1.png
    11.3 MB · Views: 0
Any of you fine gents have an early big cube p series full wrap handle you’d spare. I’ve got the later style one on my p60 and I’d love to get a correct one on there. Aswell as a manual oil pump and plunger parts, for some reason this saw had the manual oiler pulled off. Bummer !

Thanks !
What's the difference between an early and late handle?

Latest posts

Back