Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A western model was produced, The saw should have also a steel shoe clutch , bucking spikes , Rim sprocket, Walbro carb, different air filter cover and screw as well as the previously mentioned muffler.
Do you have the Data plate on the saw , it should have a W stamped.
Data plate is the foil sticker type, just a series of numbers unfortunately. I was hoping for the fmcbw tag. No dice. It has a Wally carb and steel clutch with rim. Top cover was missing. No spikes present. But I’m sure we’re robbed at sone point.

Thx for the info !

@ Cookie;
What color is the coil of your FarmsawII?
Also Is the starter rope take-up spool plastic or metal?
Both of those required repair/replacement on my Farmsaw.
1. I wasn't aware of the problem with moisture and the (blue) coil of my Farmsaw. I foolishly stored it on the ground under a tarp at a GTG. Had I put her in the back of my Dakota I don't think I'd have had that problem. I think I managed to recover my coil by baking it at 200° F for 12 hours. I got a second coil that I think was also defective. I baked both at the same time and I'm not certain mine was the one that worked.
2. My take-up spool is plastic. I foolishly allowed my saw to run with the starter rope partially extended in brush. Finding a replacement is between difficult and impossible. If metal and I need another replacement I may try one from a FarmsawII.
TIA
Lou

This here is my Orange Western Farmsaw, its all original Saw and l am the second owner . l took a picture of the Foil Data label which came on the Saw. this saw also has the SDC Walbro Carb.

Attachments

• 473155 Rings_010.JPG
    473155 Rings_010.JPG
    125.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 473155 Rings_005.JPG
    473155 Rings_005.JPG
    125.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 473155 Rings_011.JPG
    473155 Rings_011.JPG
    125.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 473155 Rings_009.JPG
    473155 Rings_009.JPG
    125.7 KB · Views: 0
@Beavers:
Except for a few labels and a chain brake she could be my saw from the outside.
Fine looking saw.
Thanks
That`s really neat with that Wesrern Farmsaw, I never new they made one, lots of stuff to learn on this site my 1982 p series brochure only talks about the S model with chainbrake and safety features and show it with paint colours like yours. I purchased a new 1982 farmsaw with the same paint as yours. What year is it by the serial #? I have never seen the western Exhaust from the factory on anything older than a 1983 saw, I new dealers intalled them on older saws. What is the # on the sdc carb? What style ignition is on it? Thanks

@71mstg:
I just looked at the serial number on my Farmsaw. The serial Number is 2261383 And it says 80.
I got orders to Holloman AFB in 1979. I thought I'd bought the saw shortly after arriving but it was longer than I thought.
We had a house built in Alamogordo NM in 1979 that came with a fireplace.
I probably cut half a cord with a bowsaw and placed it in the alley behind our place. Somebody wanted it more than I did and it disappeared. We were with Amway at that time and ordered a small chainsaw through them. It was substituted with a Skill complete with chain brake. I took it one time to the national forest (Cloudcroft NM) at 8000 plus feet. I could not keep it running; the chain brake triggered constantly; and half a tank of gas boiled away every time I refilled it. Had there been a cliff within eyesight it would have been at the bottom!
When we got back down to Alamogordo NM (about 4300 feet) I visited the local saw shop. They recommended the Farmsaw and I said OK provided it DID NOT have a chain brake.
The ONLY time that Farmsaw was problematic I was to blame! I do learn from my mistakes and built a woodshed in the back yard and wanted nothing to do with a chain brake or Skill!

I now have the Farmsaw (20" and 24" bars) and 2 Husqvarnas (359 with 20" and 24" bars and a T435 with a 16" bar) that both have chain brakes. I've never to date accidentally tripped a chain brake. We've been here since 1991. (Retired from the AF in 1990 with over 20 years active. We've lived in Washington State (on 3 wooded acres) since I retired.)

@71mstg:
I just looked at the serial number on my Farmsaw. The serial Number is 2261383 And it says 80.
I got orders to Holloman AFB in 1979. I thought I'd bought the saw shortly after arriving but it was longer than I thought.
We had a house built in Alamogordo NM in 1979 that came with a fireplace.
I probably cut half a cord with a bowsaw and placed it in the alley behind our place. Somebody wanted it more than I did and it disappeared. We were with Amway at that time and ordered a small chainsaw through them. It was substituted with a Skill complete with chain brake. I took it one time to the national forest (Cloudcroft NM) at 8000 plus feet. I could not keep it running; the chain brake triggered constantly; and half a tank of gas boiled away every time I refilled it. Had there been a cliff within eyesight it would have been at the bottom!
When we got back down to Alamogordo NM (about 4300 feet) I visited the local saw shop. They recommended the Farmsaw and I said OK provided it DID NOT have a chain brake.
The ONLY time that Farmsaw was problematic I was to blame! I do learn from my mistakes and built a woodshed in the back yard and wanted nothing to do with a chain brake or Skill!

I now have the Farmsaw (20" and 24" bars) and 2 Husqvarnas (359 with 20" and 24" bars and a T435 with a 16" bar) that both have chain brakes. I've never to date accidentally tripped a chain brake. We've been here since 1991. (Retired from the AF in 1990 with over 20 years active. We've lived in Washington State (on 3 wooded acres) since I retired.)
Lou, Thanks for all the information, there were a lot of Farmsaw sold in Ontario, sure a lot of used runing saws and lots of parts saw laying around and the history is also interesting, they were advertized with the P41-P61 saws but I have not seen much information about them before that and not sold with the P39-P65 saws, I actually purchased a new one in 1981 and traded it on a new P42 in 1984. Thanks

That`s really neat with that Wesrern Farmsaw, I never new they made one, lots of stuff to learn on this site my 1982 p series brochure only talks about the S model with chainbrake and safety features and show it with paint colours like yours. I purchased a new 1982 farmsaw with the same paint as yours. What year is it by the serial #? I have never seen the western Exhaust from the factory on anything older than a 1983 saw, I new dealers intalled them on older saws. What is the # on the sdc carb? What style ignition is on it? Thanks

The serial number on the Western is 307311656, Walbro Carb 53B which is the Standard one also availible and used on the Farmsaw 11 & other 5&6 cube saws. lt has the Standard Blue Prestolite coil, The Piston ring is the single wide ring also used on the Farmsaw 11 . as opposed the the original orange farmsaw which used the 2 thin rings.
Any promotional sales literature l have here does not mention a western model being availiable. Although it does mention a Farmsaw S (safety brake) is equiped with the 3 shoe steel clutch .
l have ipl's with a revised print date of 1983 showing the western model option part numbers.
Any Farmsaw 11 Saws l have here have a serial number later than the western serial number previously mentioned.
MyOption Only is that from what l have heard at the time production the company was looking for new reative ways of promoting the Saw and introduced the orange colour to the public in order to generate some interest and increase sales.
l beleive the Western options were added to the Basic orange Farmsaw model and became the Yellow Farmsaw 11.
My Western model was sold here in Ontario from the dealer in Marmora, Ontario, (Bonter Marine Inc)
l dought l do not think the Saw was sold internationally?

Any thought s on this subject are greatly appreciated
Cheers

The serial number on the Western is 307311656, Walbro Carb 53B which is the Standard one also availible and used on the Farmsaw 11 & other 5&6 cube saws. lt has the Standard Blue Prestolite coil, The Piston ring is the single wide ring also used on the Farmsaw 11 . as opposed the the original orange farmsaw which used the 2 thin rings.
Any promotional sales literature l have here does not mention a western model being availiable. Although it does mention a Farmsaw S (safety brake) is equiped with the 3 shoe steel clutch .
l have ipl's with a revised print date of 1983 showing the western model option part numbers.
Any Farmsaw 11 Saws l have here have a serial number later than the western serial number previously mentioned.
MyOption Only is that from what l have heard at the time production the company was looking for new reative ways of promoting the Saw and introduced the orange colour to the public in order to generate some interest and increase sales.
l beleive the Western options were added to the Basic orange Farmsaw model and became the Yellow Farmsaw 11.
My Western model was sold here in Ontario from the dealer in Marmora, Ontario, (Bonter Marine Inc)
l dought l do not think the Saw was sold internationally?

Any thought s on this subject are greatly appreciated
Cheers
Beavers you have lots of good information there, are you sure the Farmsaw 11 came after the orange farmsaw,, I have a almost complete orange farmsaw 2353823 1981 date, with serial plate under the saw, have never looked at Farmsaw 11 serial # you go by the last 6 stamped # on the tag, the orange Farmsaw is in the 1982 full line pioneer chainsaw brochure, don`t have anything showing the Farmsaw 11 with dates on it, a family member that worked for me purchase a orange Farmsaw S with chainbrake brand new at rhe start of the P42 series and still has it, he worked for me full time when he purchsed the saw. If anyone could shed some light on the order of production on the Farmsaw series it would be great information? Thanks

@71mstg:
This is a link to Mike acres (Pioneer saws limited) http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.nsf/GasbyManufacturer?OpenView&Start=1&Count=1000&Expand=104#104
and (Pioneer/Partner) http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.nsf/GasbyManufacturer?OpenView&Start=1&Count=1000&Expand=105#105
The above may answer all your questions.
Now one from me; is 71mstg short for Mustang?
If yes at 17 under Dad's urging I ordered and received a new 1968 Javelin 290 V8 ($2500). She was delivered 3 days before my 18th birthday. I paid for the entire thing with wages earned in a service station. Mustangs were out of my classes M-1968, N-1969, and O-1970, Pure stock; she weighed 3100 pounds! I took her to Milan dragway once each of those years. I have 3 trophies and all 3 were against other vehicles in the same class. She had in excess of 200,000 miles when I sold her. Please forgive my reminiscing.
Lou

l will try to help clear up the Prod Dates with the info and Pics that l have . l remember that metal data plates were Pre the foil data stickers which explain why if you had a 1979 1980 The Farmsaw Orange it was metal mounted underside on the strut.
Sept 15 / 1979 ipl is the last pic. sent, You can also see on the Micro fiche for those who remember what they are is a Date 1980.
l sent some other Pics of the ( Subject Pioneer Model History) and look to the Btm right of page you can partialy see the Farmsaw and Date1979-80
l sent some other pics of info for to Brouse thru.
The early Orange original Farmsaws came with 2 thin piston rings , Bt l have had Orange Farmsaws with the foil Data sticker with one thick piston ring also
l Still beleive the Western was late because of the Foil Data sticker and the single piston rings.

Thankyou for your interest in my Western.

Attachments

• 473155 Rings_009.JPG
    473155 Rings_009.JPG
    125.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 473155 Rings_007.JPG
    473155 Rings_007.JPG
    126.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 473155 Rings_008.JPG
    473155 Rings_008.JPG
    125.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 473155 Rings_002.JPG
    473155 Rings_002.JPG
    126.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 473155 Rings_001.JPG
    473155 Rings_001.JPG
    126.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 473155 Rings_010.JPG
    473155 Rings_010.JPG
    125.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 473155 Rings_003.JPG
    473155 Rings_003.JPG
    126.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 473155 Rings_006.JPG
    473155 Rings_006.JPG
    124.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 473155 Rings_005.JPG
    473155 Rings_005.JPG
    125.6 KB · Views: 0
@71mstg:
This is a link to Mike acres (Pioneer saws limited) http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.nsf/GasbyManufacturer?OpenView&Start=1&Count=1000&Expand=104#104
and (Pioneer/Partner) http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.nsf/GasbyManufacturer?OpenView&Start=1&Count=1000&Expand=105#105
If yes at 17 under Dad's urging I ordered and received a new 1968 Javelin 290 V8 ($2500). She was delivered 3 days before my 18th birthday. I paid for the entire thing with wages earned in a service station. Mustangs were out of my class; she weighed 3100 pounds! I took her to Milan dragway 1968; 69; and 70; once each of those years. I have 3 trophies and all 3 were against other vehicles in the same class. She had in excess of 200,000 miles when I sold her. Please forgive my reminiscing.
Lou
Hi Lou, Yes it stands for Mustang, we are close to same age, one more month and I will be 73 years old, I grew up in the best of times, spent all my money on Ford muscle cars, started farming when I was 19 on the family farm that is 120 years old and married at 21 and last year had our 50 wedding anniversary. Spent lots of time at drag strips and big on street racing and also crusied Woodword in Detroit with our muscle cars back in the day and also went to Gratroit Auto supply in the motor city, enough about me. oh I have had some Ford muscle cars I should have kept.
My dad had Pioneer chainsaws and Homelite saws so just like everything I do I started to collect them back in the early 1980`s, I have read about Acres when the Interenet was young and I called him maybe 20 years ago and had good chat with him about Pioneer, he is a bih Homelite guy to, I will check out again, friends and strangers thought I was nuts in the late 1980 for collecting pioneer saws, I sure glade my wife puts up with my passion for things like my purchse about 5 years ago on a Steam Traction Egine I am rebuilding so you scan see I am a little crazy. Thanks

@71mstg:
If yes at 17 under Dad's urging I ordered and received a new 1968 Javelin 290 V8 ($2500). She was delivered 3 days before my 18th birthday. I paid for the entire thing with wages earned in a service station. Mustangs were out of my classes M-1968, N-1969, and O-1970, Pure stock; she weighed 3100 pounds! I took her to Milan dragway once each of those years. I have 3 trophies and all 3 were against other vehicles in the same class. She had in excess of 200,000 miles when I sold her. Please forgive my reminiscing.
Lou
Sorry for all the spelling mistakes Lou, was trying to type to fast and I have Acres site bookmarked but just did not think about checking it out and yes it showed the history of the Farmsaw, again sorry for bothering you guys about it when it was in broad daylight, I will call it a seniors thing. Thanks

@71mstg:
You were born in March of 1950. I was born in May of the same year.
Did your Rich Uncle wish you a happy birthday? Mine did; about a week after the day of my 20th birthday. He sent me Happy Birthday Lou. We want to draft you 04 Jun 1970.
We lived in the great state of Ohio; Canada was a very short distance away and they were welcoming draft dodgers.
03 Jun 70 I enlisted in the Air Force. 04 Jun 70 someone from the selective service board phoned Mom and asked where I was.
I was active for 20 years, 2 months, and 27 days. I put E7 on my sleeve in 13 years and I enjoyed my first 13 years. The Air Force repossesses your tool box at E7. I was good at repairing/maintaining aircraft instrumentation and got a real sense of accomplishment doing it. Supervision felt hollow to me.
If I had cared more about my superiors than I did my subordinates I'd probably have retired as an E9.
But the way it worked out I slept soundly, and my subordinates did anything I asked of them.

@71mstg:
You were born in March of 1950. I was born in May of the same year.
Did your Rich Uncle wish you a happy birthday? Mine did; about a week after the day of my 20th birthday. He sent me Happy Birthday Lou. We want to draft you 04 Jun 1970.
We lived in the great state of Ohio; Canada was a very short distance away and they were welcoming draft dodgers.
03 Jun 70 I enlisted in the Air Force. 04 Jun 70 someone from the selective service board phoned Mom and asked where I was.
I was active for 20 years, 2 months, and 27 days. I put E7 on my sleeve in 13 years and I enjoyed my first 13 years. The Air Force repossesses your tool box at E7. I was good at repairing/maintaining aircraft instrumentation and got a real sense of accomplishment doing it. Supervision felt hollow to me.
If I had cared more about my superiors than I did my subordinates I'd probably have retired as an E9.
But the way it worked out I slept soundly, and my subordinates did anything I asked of them.
Lou, I have American cousins that were drafted one 1 year younger and another 2 years older, have a fair bit of family in the U S A that we are very close to. It`s great you were able to find something you liked and gained a we good skill. Back in the day we crossed the border all the time not a bib deal and then 9-11 came along and changed that, nothing says the same but we still cross back and forth. I was born a Farmer and its in my blood also a real motor head, my dad had more carpenter in him & I loved taking things apart and building things, wife says they will bury me in my Mustang P S I have been to those drag stips in Ohio & mi, we are like close neighors . lol Thanks

Back