Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi, That performance kit sure makes a big difference compared to a standard P52 which I also have and I think the standard P52 is a bit under powered compared to my P42 and P45 saws, great find on that saw
Thanks for some history on them, always fun learning something new. I’ll make sure to get some pics up when it’s done.

Hi. Im Finally getting around to putting together a P42 I was giving back in 2015 or 16. Back then I couldnt find a piston and cylinder for it but I was able to find a P45 or 455 or P45hp? cylinder. Its the larger bore cylinder with the 3rd transfer port. My question is what carb should I run? I apparently took the whole carb apart and while I can likely get it together or put a carb kit in it I believe putting a bigger carb on it was talked about when doing the big cylinder mod. Thanks for the input.

Well its been over 7 years since I got this from my neighbor. Had no clue what it was with the weird bar on it. After alot of research. And tearing it down. I ended up ordering a 72 cc jug and piston for it. It was literally in a laundry basket simce then.. new seals and gaskets.. milled the base. 020 to get squish closer to. 020. Well I need to get a few new bolts I lost and I do have a 20 inch bat and chain on the way. Bit I'm hoping to get this thing started tomorrow. I can't wait to fell a few silver maples in my front yard

Attachments

• 20231012_005340.jpg
    20231012_005340.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0
Well it’s been over 7 years since I got this from my neighbor. Had no clue what it was with the weird bar on it. After alot of research. And tearing it down. I ended up ordering a 72 cc jug and piston for it. It was literally in a laundry basket simce then.. new seals and gaskets.. milled the base. 020 to get squish closer to. 020. Well I need to get a few new bolts I lost and I do have a 20 inch bat and chain on the way. Bit I'm hoping to get this thing started tomorrow. I can't wait to fell a few silver maples in my front yard
Here’s my p42. IMG_8355.jpeg

I got it all together and I can't get it started. Its popped a few times but won't run. Im using the old plug. Ill need to go get a new one in town today. It has spark but it seems kinda weak. I know the coils are not that great on these saws. I heard some say something about drilling a hole in it? What's that about?

I got it all together and I can't get it started. Its popped a few times but won't run. Im using the old plug. Ill need to go get a new one in town today. It has spark but it seems kinda weak. I know the coils are not that great on these saws. I heard some say something about drilling a hole in it? What's that about?
Never heard about drilling holes in a coil before. I’d think that be a mistake. Did you go threw the carb and make sure it’s good ?

Never heard about drilling holes in a coil before. I’d think that be a mistake. Did you go threw the carb and make sure it’s good ?
I didn't understand the drilling it out either. It's running. Went through the carb again. Slightly adjusted the needle. Changed the plug and finally got it running. Having a hard time getting it to idle down and not die. I let it stay high idle and took a test cut. And boy howdy did it eat!!! I'll get the idle worked. So glad to have it running after 7-8 years

Latest posts

Back