Pioneer P41 Carb Adjust

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoppy

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I am new here, excellent site!

I have done a search here on adjusting the carburetor on a Pioneer P41 but I haven't come across anything on it here.

My father-in-law gave me this saw to get going for him. It was in very bad shape, fuel system wise. Gas was left in it for a few years and it turned to varnish. So, after a good cleanup of the fuel tank and carb, I installed new lines, gave her a splash of fresh fuel, a couple of tugs on the starter and she fired right up.

My initial carb set-up was I backed out the H and L mixture screws out 2.5 turns and it fired up no problem, but I could not get it to stay running after it warmed up with these settings. I messed around with the settings quite a bit, but after flooding my garage floor with bar oil, I figured I would ask here if anyone knows the initial settings and procedure to fine tune the carb.

Thanks alot,

Hoppy

The P41 uses a Tillotson HS carb. Initial settings are L- 1 1/8 turns , H-7/8 turn. Those settings are usually pretty much bang on if the carb is clean and working correctly. At 2.5 you are way rich. If it won't run at the initial settings, you will have to take the carb apart again and give it a good soaking in carb cleaner. Take all the needles out, and make sure you take out the welch plugs and clean in behind them. If you don't have a complete carb kit with new welch plugs, you will have to get another kit. With something that is gummed up, you would probably be wise to put new fuel lines on as well. Did you clean the tank and the filter in the tank? Make sure that you have a good seal between the carb and the reed valve assembly(new gasket). Make sure that when you reassemble that you set the diaphragm lever flush with the diaphragm chamber floor. If you are unfamiliar with this setting, try doing a google search. This lever has to be set correctly to get the right amount of fuel into the carb.

Pioneerman,

Thanks. I will give that a try. I am sure it is only the mixture screws just now. I didn't rebuild the carb, but did clean it out with carb cleaner, inside and out and reassembled it with what looked to be good diaphrams and gaskets, even though they were the originals.

I will take it apart again however and get a carb kit for it and do it properly. I just wanted to see if I could get it running first.

Thanks again, I will keep you posted.

Hoppy

Once you get it running using the intial settings, let the saw warm up and try it. It should accelerate from an idle without trying to die. If it has a tendency to want to stall richen up the idle screw slightly until that bog goes away. As far as the high speed, the saw should be able to cut into wood and stall the chain without the motor stalling. If not, richen it slightly. Don't try to stall the chain for more than a second or so. You don't want to burn your clutch.

Pioneerman,

I have to thank you very much. Your settings were bang on.

I soaked the carb for a couple of days in carb cleaner, swabbed out the jets, put it back together and used your settings. It took a couple of cranks to get the carb primed and then she fired up, warmed up and idled nicely and came up to speed with no bogging whatsoever. The real test will be putting a good load on it.

Anyway, I must thank you again.

Hoppy.:greenchainsaw:

Back