Piston rings for old Homelite?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

E4ODnut

Reaction score
Hi All,
I have an old Homelite power saw (Terry Industries), probably late sixties or early seventies vintage The model number is partly obliterated, but it starts off with "XL" then what looks like a "9", then possibly a "1". There may or may not be another number. The serial tag has Type 50022, SN 00910001. The housing is red in colour, and it has an automatic oiler only, no manual one.
It was given to me by a friend, the original owner, in the mid seventies, and has been a true companion ever since. It did chore duties on many a beach party around Prince Rupert BC, and was a real little work horse clearing our homestead and performing firewood duties when we lived on the Queen Charlottes. It's got quite a personality, but we understand each other. I burnt a piston out of it cutting up a big beach combed old growth hemlock, but was able to get a new piston and ring set. The bore was a bit scored, but that didn't seem to bother the old thing at all, and it kept on churning until we left the islands in '98. Last summer, after almost 8 yrs of sitting around, a new tank of gas went in, and it flashed right up, ready for beach party duties again.
Unfortunately, during the last beach excursion, it must have gotten dragged sideways in the sand and some got into the muffler, and thence to the cylinder. When I disasembled it to clean things up, I found the top ring pretty well stuck in place, and I ended up breaking it. Which brings me to the point of all this.
Can anyone tell me just what model this is, and if piston rings are still available?
I've had no luck with Homelite, or any local dealers, and I'd hate to scrap the poor old thing, We've been through a lot together.

Thanks,
Robert

XL913, XL914, and several other of the XL9x or XL9xx saw all have the same bore: 2.0625 in. (52 mm)

HOWEVER, the XL98 and some other of the XL9xx saws have different-sized bores.... So.... I'd say measure the bore and the piston OD and the ring groove and go from there....

There may be some way to identify the XL Homelice after the paint is all worn off.... but I don't know it.... need input from a better Homelite man...

You can still find rings for some of these.... or, if all else fails, get one with a good jug from somewhere and just replace it. {Lift the radiator cap on your beloved old '57 Chevy, drive another '57 Chevy under it and fasten it down, re-paint to match, and there ya go!!.... you'll still have your beloved old '57 Chevy!! :biggrinbounce2: }.

Oh..... go to Mike's site and look through all the Homie specs there.... maybe that'll help: http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.nsf/GasbyManufacturer?OpenView&Start=50.154&Count=30&Expand=50#50

Thanks for the reply Old Mac.
I have a few more clues.
I measured the bore at 2"
piston dia 1.96"
ring thickness .065"
ring depth .085"

Does that help?

Robert

Back