Plastic pallets to stack firewood on?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billy_Bob

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
We get a lot of rain in the Pacific Northwest and the bottom row of my firewood is always wet (even though I have it tarped). Also the bottom of my kindling pile never dries out. Then various bugs live in that bottom row of wood.

So I was thinking of getting a bunch of used plastic pallets to stack all my wood on to keep it off the ground. I was thinking this would be better than wood pallets for the bug thing.

Anyone do this?

I use old sheets of roofing tin to stack firewood on. Sheets of tin are 2' x 8' and I stack the wood about 4-5ft high, perfect for measuring a rik. It keeps the wood out of the dirt and the tin is corrugated so the wood is elevated and the water drains out the low end of the stack. I've never had a problem with water pooling up on the sheets of tin.

I hammer in a fence post at each end of the stack and tie a piece of nylon/plastic round bale twine to the fence post, run it across the top of the wood pile, wrap it around the other fence post pull it tight then tie it off. This makes for a sturdy stack. If I have extra twine I will wrap it around the wood pile a couple times for more support.

The nylon/plastic round hay bale twine I find all winter long laying on the side of the road or in the ditch. The farmers feed round bales to cattle all winter long and this stuff gets discarded everywhere.

free wood pallets are nice---but--where are you getting the plastic pallets--never seen em---and wood pallets will eventually rot--been there---what i want to stack mine on--if a find another being taken down--is the staves out of a cement silo--2 foot long---10 in wide--work excellent for stacking--made a sidewalk out of em

Last edited:
Old wood pallets for free from the feed store. Also great for storing tractor implements up off the ground.

I found a supply house near where I work that is constantly throwing out pallets for Bathtubs and spas. Their 4' x 8'-12' and so far their woorking great.

I think theres a pic here somewhere.....

wood pallets? burn em:) in New England most are hardwoods so i take and burn a bunch as kindling and fuel(bigger pallets) works great.

I know of several people who get their year supply of wood from pallet companies for cheap.

Stew

I think plastic would be great to use. I use wood ones, but would love to use plastic, as mine are pretty well rotted out now and need to be replaced. Not a big deal as they are free, but plastic ones would last a lot longer. Let me know how it goes.

I use lengths of 4-6" pine, 2x4's, old I joists and wood pallets. Whatever I can find to stack the wood on, I use.
Plastic pallets would be nice. However, the whole concept behind these for businesses is that they are reusable. Most of the time, when a delivery is made, they take the empty ones back and reuse. May be hard to find them for free.

plastic pallets to stack firewood on

I lucked out and got a nice stack of the metal used to pour concrete on,its 3 ft. wide and veries in lenth from 12 to 16 ft.The channels are about 4 inches deep and 6 inches wide.Works great for firewood both for a base and roof.I also use it to keep lumber under it.Put stacking boards on it put the lumber on it in layers and let it air dry using some of it for a roof.

I think plastic pallets would work great, but free ones may be hard to come by because they cost a lot more and there are fewer around.

I found a supply house near where I work that is constantly throwing out pallets for Bathtubs and spas. Their 4' x 8'-12' and so far their woorking great.

I think theres a pic here somewhere.....

at least now i know all the words to that song!!!

Latest posts

Back