playing around after work

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noodlewalker

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
i finally got my stihl 041 super rebuilt and running. still have a carb issue, but new one is on its way. I bought it for one purpose alone.. we are rebuilding the house that my wife grew up in and there is (was) a huge catalpa tree beside the house that the insurance company said had to come down for fear it would fall on the house. long story short, the tree is now in 5 sections that are roughly 10' long with the largest section of the trunk about 30" wide, narrowing down to the smallest section about 20" wide. the tree was a long standing icon for my wife growing up so she was upset that we had to take it down. nonetheless it had to come down. so I am going to incorporate this tree back into the house as the base trim and casing for the windows.... enter the 041. I made a mill to attach to it, and tonight I was able to see for the first time what she could do.......

I took a small piece (roughly 4' long 12" diameter) from my burn pile and ran the saw down the length of it to see what the results would be.... so here it is folks, my very first experience ever with milling....catalpa slab.jpeg
I couldn't stop there, so I took it over to the table saw and made some 2" by 3/4" pieces so I could see what it will actually look like as base trim....catalpa trim piece.jpeg

here is a close up of the grain, it has a kind of silver-ish sheen to it which think makes it very pretty wood.catalpa grain.jpeg

so I just absolutely had to test my joinery skills and made a French dovetail just for chits and grins.... that is our cat, Magi, in the back ground inspecting the wood.....
dovetail.jpg

I had fun tonight after work so I thought I would share my fun with you all, hope you enjoy it :D:D:D

i finally got my stihl 041 super rebuilt and running. still have a carb issue, but new one is on its way. I bought it for one purpose alone.. we are rebuilding the house that my wife grew up in and there is (was) a huge catalpa tree beside the house that the insurance company said had to come down for fear it would fall on the house. long story short, the tree is now in 5 sections that are roughly 10' long with the largest section of the trunk about 30" wide, narrowing down to the smallest section about 20" wide. the tree was a long standing icon for my wife growing up so she was upset that we had to take it down. nonetheless it had to come down. so I am going to incorporate this tree back into the house as the base trim and casing for the windows.... enter the 041. I made a mill to attach to it, and tonight I was able to see for the first time what she could do.......

I took a small piece (roughly 4' long 12" diameter) from my burn pile and ran the saw down the length of it to see what the results would be.... so here it is folks, my very first experience ever with milling....View attachment 481853
I couldn't stop there, so I took it over to the table saw and made some 2" by 3/4" pieces so I could see what it will actually look like as base trim....View attachment 481854

here is a close up of the grain, it has a kind of silver-ish sheen to it which think makes it very pretty wood.View attachment 481855

so I just absolutely had to test my joinery skills and made a French dovetail just for chits and grins.... that is our cat, Magi, in the back ground inspecting the wood.....
View attachment 481856

I had fun tonight after work so I thought I would share my fun with you all, hope you enjoy it :D:D:D

yeah! for sure!! good story... good pix!! :) millwright to cabinet maker... all with your own tree! awesome. I like the dovetail joints... beautiful grains... hints to being kissin' cousin to walnut... with a splash of pine in it. bet it would light stain up real nice. what do you plan to make with the lumber you have milled?... and planed?

thank you!! my plan is to trim the entire house with it, including cabinets. it is gonna be a tough task, but im up for the challenge. I haven't decided on stain color yet, but I put a "natural" color stain on that dovetailed piece this morning and it looked ok but I think I want it a shade or two darker. my worry, though is that it will look like oak, which I like don't get me wrong, but it is such a one-of-a-kind type large scale project that I don't want it to "look" common.

Latest posts

Back