Please Advise

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Groundworker

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
This tree just to the left of the garage door has to come down. I'm thinking I'll rope it midway, V it out and drop it across the driveway straight toward the camera angle. My plan is to try to keep it as far left of the concrete as possible but, I don't think this tree is heavy enough to crack the concrete. Any other suggestions?

Test017.jpg

Welcome aboard. My suggestion would be to remove the section of concrete, from the gutter over, hire a professional arborist to prune and then mulch the critical root zone. Redirect the gutter downspout so that the trees get much needed moisture. This tree will provide years of shade for your home and help keep you cool in the summer. Over the years this tree will pay you back by lowering your energy costs. Hope this helps.

IF you are so inclined to take this down yourself, I believe the concrete should be just fine. Could you have someone video the tree coming over as I believe it would be educational for us and others:)

Carefully bend back the baby trees if they aren't coming out. If they are coming out; use them for padding. Muscle tree down slow with strong hinge and no dutch; perhaps tapered pulling off of building in foreground.

If baby trees are coming out, muscle them down, and leave connected; kinda floating if you can. Larger tree being muscled down on fat hinge shouldn't be so much force as to move roots underground and crack anything.

Polesaw anything off sides you can reach that might be a problem to either side. Front branches should help pad fall. Cut low to give puller most leverage, but also watch where side branches could catch where MM notes. Raise or lower cut to place least amount of problem branches on side in risk of hitting foreground roof. Pace off with rake trick or other 45 degree strategy to plot this.

Back cut until she is 'breathing', then backout and let Nature slowly take it's course.

Concrete problem

hello every one i am also new the site and somewhat new to being a aborist...

anyways

i wouldnt worry about that concrete....a drive way will have mesh, rebar, and should be atleast 4 inchs thick...

if you want to (do think it would be nesscary) build a platform so when the tree hits the weight will be distrbuted over a wider basis

Be sure to use strong enough rope, and recmond a cumalong

Best of luck
let me know how it goes

Canyon Brush Clearing

Why does it have to come down?, looks healthy enough in the pictures. As for trusting the concrete, The home looks like it is located in a cookie cutter new subdivision that is typical of the south. (not a knock, just a fact) Most of the builders only put in a few inches of gravel as a base, and 2-3 inches of cement. No rebar or wire. I would not drop a tree that size on that concrete with out some sort of brush cushion being put down first.
JMHO

Make a crib out of the smaller tree on the left (crib= cut into 3ft sections and lay them perpendicular to the tree where you expect it to fall)

A pull line is a good idea. Then notch it and make a back cut, leaving as much holding wood as possible. Easy.

I still think it's going to hit the gutter, but that little tree won't hurt the concrete.
If it'll fit, going back is the way to go. Ask your neighbor to help you drop it, then he might even offer his lawn without you even asking. If he's hostile, wait until he goes to work and do it without him knowing.;)

groundman

does this mean u have worked in the tree industry
if so why not hire a climber to assist. the tree does look
fine; customer request it down, i wont try to make any one
feel guilty tryin to make a living; trees are valuable for shade
air quality. if major forest companys would start planting oaks
instead of spraying them, we would all have better air but
loblolly pine is beginning to be our only woodlands around here
the rate at large oak forest reserves being cut is a much bigger
impact than cities across America ! I still try to explain trees value
to customers I work with but my customer does have final say
so try not to be one sided not hugger or hacker just service:sucks:

Dont worry about the driveway

Over here in NJ minimum code for a concrete driveway is 6" with mesh or rebar. I wouldnt worry about it getting damaged. Throw some plywood on it anyway.

tires

if you really have to take this tree down, put plywood on the driveway and as many old tires as neccesary on the top. Works for me...most of the time.

FYI....everybody concerned; the tree is not mine, my post has nothing to do with "why"; the customer has their reasons for wanting to have it taken down, I just happen to be the one they hired to do the work. My post was targeted mainly toward the concrete. I guess I misunderstood this forum.:(

FYI....everybody concerned; the tree is not mine, my post has nothing to do with "why"; the customer has their reasons for wanting to have it taken down, I just happen to be the one they hired to do the work. My post was targeted mainly toward the concrete. I guess I misunderstood this forum.:(

used tires are free and they work well protecting driveways, walkways etc. this post is targeted exclusively toward the pavement

:jawdrop:

I think you got some pretty sound advice myself. Don't go away mad!

Stay and become one of us.

:jawdrop:

I think you got some pretty sound advice myself. Don't go away mad!

Stay and become one of us.

Oh no, not going away mad:D The advice was sound and appreciated. Just wondering about all the "why" and not the how. I will have the tree on the ground in the morning and I'll post pictures later. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back