Please estimate how many cords and settle a debate at work

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nominal Fee said, "... So now you all want to know when this will all get settled---well, soon I'll be done chunking it into 16" lengths..."
-----------------
Great! So if you cut it to 16" lengths, and stack it 48" high, then a full cord stack has to be 288" long or 24 feet, assuming the stack's sides are square to the top. I await the Pic.

Note to KsWoodsman: I never deliver a bunch of splitter chips, shorts, stubs, or bark fall-offs to customers. They dont want them. They want good firewood logs. :chainsawguy:

And you are telling us that this stack is going to be 54' long?

Last edited:
Nominal Fee said, "... So now you all want to know when this will all get settled---well, soon I'll be done chunking it into 16" lengths..."
-----------------
Great! So if you cut it to 16" lengths, and stack it 48" high, then a full cord stack has to be 288" long or 24 feet, assuming the stack's sides are square to the top. I await the Pic.

Note to KsWoodsman: I never deliver a bunch of splitter chips, shorts, stubs, or bark fall-offs to customers. They dont want them. They want good firewood logs. :chainsawguy:

Well technically the origional question was "how much wood is in the picture?" not how much marketable firewood is in the picture? I'm just sayin'.

Actually, my customers ask for that stuff. It helps with getting the fire started.

.Firewood doesn't have to be pretty to burn...

Please do not dare to say such a blaspheme. :help: We who have WoodPiles Addiction --W.A.D.--resent the implication that firewood needs not be pretty. Damn.:chainsawguy:
It is an O.C.D. like C.A.D.---just another T.L.A.:hmm3grin2orange:

Actually, my customers ask for that stuff. It helps with getting the fire started.
+1! And I keep telling them that. They say, "That takes up room in your truck. I'd rather have three or four more logs."

Some of my customers have natural gas or propane log lighters in the fireplace. Perhaps that's rare in Maine or Indiana. We never had those when I lived in CT, but out here gas log lighters are everywhere. These folks don't even need newspapers or cardboard.

Last edited:

Was that a statement ? Are you putting words in my mouth that I have not said ?

The last thing I said was,

Actully. I no longer care.

I do not wish to derail this thread for some personal vendetta, of yours, against me or my avatar. I don't know what your problem is or what it is with me. If there is something that I have said or done that has offended you , you have my apologies.

My estimate of 2 1/4 cords stands. I coudn't care less if you think I over estimated it.

I'm not going to defend myself from you and don't see any need to either. You fail to impress me.

Please do not dare to say such a blaspheme. :help: We who have WoodPiles Addiction --W.A.D.--resent the implication that firewood needs not be pretty. Damn.:chainsawguy:

LOL OK OK Logbutcher you can have the prettiest wood pile.

I dont mind a few less than pretty ones but I do admire a tight stack when I see one. It cant have any loose spots or anything falling out. Maybe spilling over at the top is good though.

Well yes, but then I don't recall ever even seeing an ugly piece of firewood - they are all things of beauty to behold.

Harry K

Man, I have long since given up trying to guess how much wood is in a pile. I pulled this load home last night, thought that for sure it was a little more than a cord. Found out that it was shy of a cord by a few pieces. I was really disapointed.

You are talking about wood,..........aren't you? :D
Well, I thought I was. No telling what went through some of your minds.

2.35 cords

WEll ! how do you like that ?

And I was counting on those splits in the last picture to fill out a corner of the stack to get 2 1/4 cords, if needed.

I wonder if the OP would mind a hand with the stacking, thats hard work, you know.

I'd guess in the ballpark of 1.5 cords. If the logs aren't bucked and split yet, we'll need to wait until next week at least for an answer. Gonna rain all weekend in New England.

Wood Tease

The time has come to cut the ___, and punt.
ARE YOU GONNA CUT AND SPLIT THE STUPID LOGS ...OR NOT ??:jawdrop:

This is like Oak Envy, or you Msr. Nominal: Wood Tease:confused: :confused:
This is the end.

attachment.php

attachment.php

...If the logs aren't bucked and split yet, we'll need to wait until next week at least for an answer. Gonna rain all weekend in New England.

Yup--lots of rain--Good time to install a new handle on the sledge.

The time has come to cut the ___, and punt.
ARE YOU GONNA CUT AND SPLIT THE STUPID LOGS ...OR NOT ??:jawdrop:

This is like Oak Envy, or you Msr. Nominal: Wood Tease:confused: :confused:
This is the end.

Best I can do at this point is to stack it on pallets in chunks. This would be a temporary measure only! (No splitter and this is 09-10's wood so...)

Local rules (my lot) Split, stacked, measured and divided by 128 is the only true measure. Also, if the bark is attached it counts. Burnable uglys are stacked and they count. We don't count chips or sawdust. :dizzy:

This pile is the heaviest, most time consuming 3/4 of a cord I've ever dealt with....

Latest posts

Back