please explain chainsaw chain?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hear ya, if you were on the east coast RM would show itself Lord and Master.
The majority of my expiereance was in Upper MI. Semi chisel was only used on landing saws by loggers and even then some loggers used chisel there too.
IMO Semi's ability to stay sharp in dirty conditions is vastly over rated.
Out here semi is only used by homeowner types and is sold primarily as safety type chains.

The majority of my expiereance was in Upper MI. Semi chisel was only used on landing saws by loggers and even then some loggers used chisel there too.
Out here semi is only used by homeowner types and is sold primarily as safety type chains.
404 semi is pretty well all that is used by pros and firewood blokes over here

And for fun, what I learned in years of silently lurking here is:

Stihl chain is #1

Carlton, Oregon, Husqvarna (whatever nuanced ranking are 2nd)

No name chain is serviceable for a bit but will make you cuss.

RS is the “darling” but RM is the “man” in the real world outside of west coast clean softwood.

Green vs. Yellow is a matter of vigilance and sense.

Sharp chains are second only to fuel and oil in being necessary to saw.
Don't agree with your comparison of rs vs rm. I don't find the rm to outlast the rs in any conditions, doesn't matter if the log was drug threw a swamp. They both dull out fast in dirty conditions. The rm is just slower all around, all the time.
I'd also say husqy x-cut is a very close second to stihl rs, and as far as a factory square ground chain it's faster and way smoother then a stihl chain.

This 👆🏼

Don't agree with your comparison of rs vs rm. I don't find the rm to outlast the rs in any conditions, doesn't matter if the log was drug threw a swamp. They both dull out fast in dirty conditions. The rm is just slower all around, all the time.
I'd also say husqy x-cut is a very close second to stihl rs, and as far as a factory square ground chain it's faster and way smoother then a stihl chain.
Interesting. My experience is the opposite.

RM is slower and rougher cutting for certain. It seems to me that it does last slightly longer, but not much.
Say I was cutting on a landing with dirty logs. I bet I could make a chisel chain cut longer than semi just by using proper technique. IE boring in and cutting such that your not dragging ditys chips though the cut.

RM is slower and rougher cutting for certain. It seems to me that it does last slightly longer, but not much.
Say I was cutting on a landing with dirty logs. I bet I could make a chisel chain cut longer than semi just by using proper technique. IE boring in and cutting such that your not dragging ditys chips though the cut.
The methods you use is a lot like I was taught by my logging friend. I've already (non production.) Taken the bark off or bore cut to avoid dragging mud and debris through the cut.

Say I was cutting on a landing with dirty logs. I bet I could make a chisel chain cut longer than semi just by using proper technique. IE boring in and cutting such that your not dragging dirty chips though the cut.
Gee, I thought that I just invented this technique! Been working on charity firewood cutting for the county. Logs are delivered by either municipalities or tree companies. All the leftovers that couldn't go to the local mill.

Depending on where the dirt is I try to bore in and cut up which throws the chips away from the log/cut. Roll the log halfway and repeat. Only issue is that you have to pull up on the saw which is tiring after a while.

The methods you use is a lot like I was taught by my logging friend. I've already (non production.) Taken the bark off or bore cut to avoid dragging mud and debris through the cut.

Gee, I thought that I just invented this technique! Been working on charity firewood cutting for the county. Logs are delivered by either municipalities or tree companies. All the leftovers that couldn't go to the local mill.

Depending on where the dirt is I try to bore in and cut up which throws the chips away from the log/cut. Roll the log halfway and repeat. Only issue is that you have to pull up on the saw which is tiring after a while.
You want to bore in and cut with the underside of your bar so the chips are ejected toward you.
I'm not smart enough to come up with the technique. I watched one of my logging mentors do it.

Latest posts

Back