Please Read

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STLfirewood

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
My father helps me a lot with my firewood business. He retired in 2003 and took up helping me as a hobby. He is one of those old school guys (66) that isn't happy unless he's working or doing something with his cows. I have had to watch dad over the last couple of years. He has started to walk to close behind the skid steer,hit the pedal a little when backing up to a trailer, little things like that. I'll call it slipping a little bit. He knew it and it was his biggest fear getting older and loosing his mind. It runs in the family. Yesterday we were out cutting trees on a property. We had put in a solid 4 hours or so. Dad can cut a 5-6 cord load of logs by himself in a day moving the blocks by hand out of his way pretty easy. I has dropped 4 trees up the hill for him to block up. I told him I was going to fall some big white oak trees down the hill. I fell the first one and cut it into logs. I moved to the next tree about 70ft with a 28-30DBH. It was a very nice white oak. There was nothing in my way. I notched and bore cut the tree from both sides. I started from the wrong side and I was finishing my cut with dad to my back. I always look out for him and make sure he wasn't in harms way. I cut cut the back strap and the tree started to go. I looked up and saw an orange saw. I knew I hadn't left anything there. It then struck me it was dad. I yelled at him right as the tree was coming down. The one time I didn;t check up on him he had walked right into my landing zone on his way to cut some other trees up. The branches hit him. They were around 4-6" branches. The branches hit him in the back of the head. He was still breathing. I called 911 then my mother and brother and sisters. They air lifted him to a hospital. Dad never came to again and he died this morning. My father has been a huge part of my 37years on this earth. We worked together everyday. Please be very careful out there. A few minutes in time can change your life forever. I lost my father and best friend today. It it very hard to deal with know you realeased the tree that took your fathers life. Becareful out there.

Scott

Sad News

I'm so sorry to hear of this. At a time like this most of us just don't know what to say.

I hope you and yours are able to keep going and cherrish your father's memory.

Nosmo

I am sorry to hear this and I am very sorry for your loss. I lost my mother and father in the same year Mom to a six year battle with breast cancer and Dad to a sudden heart attack. Again I am sorry.

Awwman...SOB.., just nothing else to say. my condolences, man, really.

you read this now

DONT beat your self up! You WERE looking out for him, and he also was still out working. My dad has alzheimers and, well, gets to the point you have to not work, or do anything hazardous. He had just bought him a new lincoln, then mom pulled the keys from him a few months later, just too hazardous.

Your dad went out in his way, we all go. He was out doing what he loved. We may be should all go this way, I hope to.

Had an uncle went out bird hunting with his dogs. His way. His fav thing to be doing, out with the dogs.

Its hard, but...dont beat your self up.

I'm really sorry for your loss. I know nothing anyone says will help you at a time like this, but I feel for you. Try to keep your head up. Your dad went out with his boots on as an old saying goes. Im sure he was doing what he loved and with the person he loved. Hang in there. Tom

So sorry to hear that. I know you are devastated. I was too when I lost my father about 15 years ago. But some one told me at that time that there are worse things than dying.

I have been reminded of that many times as I visit my mother with Alzheimers in the nursing home. I'm 64, recently retired and enjoy cutting and splitting my firewood. I am terrified that I will end up like her.

Take comfort in the fact that your dad went out doing what he loved and didn't end up like my mother. I know it's going to be difficult for you knowing that perhaps you could have done something different. But believe me blessings come in many different forms. The future could have been much worse.

Y'all have my heartfelt condolences. I know it's difficult loosing a loved one and something you will never forget. Do take the time to mourn his passing, but in the end, celebrate his life. N remember all the good times y'all had together.

I'm very sorry for your loss!

Back