Please Read

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
“Tucked away in our subconscious is an idyllic vision. We see ourselves on a long trip that spans the continent. We are traveling by train. Out the windows we drink in the passing scene of cars on nearby highways, of children waving at a crossing, of cattle grazing on a distant hillside, of smoke pouring from a power plant, of row upon row of corn and wheat, of flatlands and valleys, of mountains and rolling hillsides, of city skylines and village halls.

But uppermost in our minds is the final destination. On a certain day at a certain hour we will pull into the station. Bands will be playing and flags waving. Once we get there, so many wonderful dreams will come true and the pieces of our lives will fit together like a completed jigsaw puzzle. How restlessly we pace the aisles, damning the minutes for loitering – waiting, waiting, waiting for the station.

“When we reach the station, that will be it!” we cry. “When I’m 18.” “When I buy a new 450SL Mercedes Benz!” “When I put the last kid through college.” “When I have paid off the mortgage!” “When I get a promotion.” “When I reach the age of retirement, I shall live happily ever after!”

Sooner or later we must realize there is no station, no one place to arrive at once and for all. The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly outdistances us.

“Relish the moment” is a good motto, especially when coupled with Palm 118:24: “This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.” It isn’t the burdens of today that drive men mad. It is the regrets over yesterday and the fear of tomorrow. Regret and fear are twin thieves who rob us of today.

So, stop pacing the aisles and counting the miles. Instead, climb more mountains, eat more ice cream, go barefoot more often, swim more rivers, watch more sunsets, laugh more, cry less. Life must be lived as we go along. The station will come soon enough. “

Thats tough!!! I am not good at saying the right thing in any situation especially these types. But here is something that came to mind, when I was just a boy a neighbor of ours tipped over while forking out some potatoes with his grandson in the garden he was probably 70+ years old. And I can still remember my dad say that "Boy now that is the way to go" I never really understood what he meant until I was older, but Im sure as many have already stated he went doing what he loved with a good mind and happy. As hard as it seems now it would have been alot worse going to visit him laying in a old folks home with him not knowing you or angry at the world for years and such. Please dont blame yourself Im pretty sure your dad would not want you to stop working with wood. In fact the faster and more often you get back in the wood game would probably be best for you. We all deal with these things our own way and really none are wrong and none are right. I have no idea if you or your family believe in God or not but this would be an allright time to lean on him a little. Good luck and God Bless

Thank you for all of the kind words. The family is doing well and trying to cope. I went back to the site and looked around. Dad had hit something with his saw. He had the file and was going to a stump to sharpen his saw. He liked to use a waist high stump so he didn't have to bend over. Again thanks for the kind words. I'll be back at it tomorrow delivering wood. Restraunts keep cooking.

Scott

Thank you for all of the kind words. The family is doing well and trying to cope. I went back to the site and looked around. Dad had hit something with his saw. He had the file and was going to a stump to sharpen his saw. He liked to use a waist high stump so he didn't have to bend over. Again thanks for the kind words. I'll be back at it tomorrow delivering wood. Restraunts keep cooking.

Scott

Hanging tough bro...your dad would have wanted that I bet.

I am very sorry for your loss. I'm not much for knowing what to say about something like this, but I feel compelled to say a few words. Like someone else said, it took a lot of courage for you to start this thread. It makes us all think pretty seriously about how easily things can go wrong. We like to think we should be in total control of whatever we are doing, but in reality, we have very little control over much of anything. I'm not saying we shouldn't always do our best to be safe and in control. Its' easy for someone to say be aware of everything around you all of the time, but that is humanly impossible. When we're working, usually nothing bad happens, or even when we knowingly make a mistake, we just learn from it and move on. Anyone whose being honest with themselves knows they have had close calls. It's tragic your situation went beyond that, but even though we are all aware of how dangerous this life of cutting trees with chainsaws can be, just remember....It's a good way of life.

I'm sure I don't have to remind you to remember all the replies to this thread. Think about that fact that their sympathy is for you, and not your Dad. My point is, if someone else were to have started this thread, how would you have replied, and what would you have thought. I doubt you would have thought about blaming anyone. This kind of thing is just part of life in this world. I pray your Dad is in a much better place.

Hey man. Sorry to hear about the loss of your dad. You did the best you could by him. I bet he's in Heaven smiling down glad to see you carrying on a tradition.

We're all on loan from God and his to call home. If we get called doing something we love with a loved one then he's shown us a special kind of grace.

I wish your family peace in this time of sadness and morning.

This is without a doubt the heaviest thread I've ever seen on here. Can't imagine what you're going through.

Sorry to read about your loss.
Seems like you and your dad had a special relationship there.
I believe you made an outstanding gift to him, his being able to do real work alongside his son, now that's rare and goes a long way for a man the age many get to just sit home and grumble bout the past.
Bless your dad, bless you and your family,

SA

Back