Plowmandan

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see you have a wheeled loader there. Would you say they are better for snow than tracks?

Tracks tend to float on top of the snow (the way they do in mud), the tires help focus the weight of the machine on smaller area so they penetrate the snow cover better.

I would bet that my wheeled Bobcat has better traction that a rubber tracked skid steer, I have heard that the steel track loaders tend to slide badly on the ice where my tire chains seem to bite nicely.

Wheels are the way to go. Put wings on the plow for my little 743, works pretty good although I haven't really used it that much. Just been using the bucket to move piles after the storms.

I can't count how many people have stepped in front of me while plowing these past few storms. If you idiots want something, stand off to the side and wave me down, not with your come hither finger either! Don't sneak up behind me while I'm backing up, don't run in front of me while I'm pushing a pile of snow and don't knock on my window in the dark as I'm backing up! You could get killed!

The last idiot that knocked in the dark did this while I was trying to get home after the blizzard about 12:00 am, the main road to my house was closed because of 10 ft. snow drifts, so I went to the next road and encountered some smaller 3-4 ft. drifts and was trying to plow them out the way so I could go sleep. Wasn't working at all when this kid kncoked on my window and asked if I was plowing the road:dizzy: Came really close to knocking him out.

I'm not sick of the plowing yet, just the people getting stuck in front of me on the roads that shouldn't be there blocking the way ......and then trying to flag me down for help. NOT

I didn't get too many pics while working, just a couple when driving around.

attachment.php

This is where the deeper snow drifts were trying to get home, bunch of people got stuck, Nat'l Guard was there with the real Humvees to get them out.
attachment.php

This truck burned up at the hotel I plow, guy was screwing aorund in his truck all night, not sure what he was doing. Was parked part way into the lane , when I tried to ask him to move he wouldn't even look at me? So I left him alone and kept plowing. Guess he left it running too long, then it was really in the way after they put the fire out. Stayed there the whole next day.

attachment.php

Typical Va. Pines, perfect reason not to have them in your yard
attachment.php

Thought this was a cool plow truck/van, was a first for me, wonder how it did? Not sure if it was 4wd or not?
attachment.php

Made it through 6 or so storms without a major hiccup and this dummy hits my truck while it was parked in a lot trying to squeeze between me and the next truck. He didn't fit! 1800 GOT JUNK , hire some smarter drivers!
attachment.php

I can't count how many people have stepped in front of me while plowing these past few storms. If you idiots want something, stand off to the side and wave me down, not with your come hither finger either! Don't sneak up behind me while I'm backing up, don't run in front of me while I'm pushing a pile of snow and don't knock on my window in the dark as I'm backing up! You could get killed!

The last idiot that knocked in the dark did this while I was trying to get home after the blizzard about 12:00 am, the main road to my house was closed because of 10 ft. snow drifts, so I went to the next road and encountered some smaller 3-4 ft. drifts and was trying to plow them out the way so I could go sleep. Wasn't working at all when this kid kncoked on my window and asked if I was plowing the road:dizzy: Came really close to knocking him out.

It really is amazing how many people are completely ignorant of the dangers next to a piece of heavy equipment. I think that folks just assume that you can see/hear just as well as if you are sitting on a motorcycle? A quick pivot in place is a good way to accidentally kill or maim somebody trying to get your attention.

I always remind folks at a site that they can not approach me unless they make eye contact with me. I know they think I am an idiot, but I'd rather have them think I am paranoid or a wimp than live with having killed or hurt someone with the skid steer.

I wonder whether "DANGER - DO NOT APPROACH" signs would be worth putting on?

I would say wheels as well.

I was able to get the track back on the Dingo in about an hour, it was pretty easy. I had to run back to the shop to get the farm jack cause the floor jack wouldn't fit under the machine but it went back on OK.
I am going to have to keep chiseling the ice out of the wheels as it builds up. We are in for another 6 inches Monday night.

Latest posts

Back