'Poh-Lan' or 'Poo-Lan'

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In Canada, we pronounce them "pooh-lawn", here "pole-in" is the accepted pronounciation. Either way, all of you Pole-in or Pooh-lawn haters don't know #### about ####. I'll take a cv4000 over an 041FB and the like any day of the week. It really burns my ass when you guys bash things you know nothing about. :mad2:

I think Nik pretty much hit the nail on the head, on all counts in his post. :rock:
None of us, I'm pretty sure, hasn't heard Claude Poulan, or his descendants, pronounce their name. But, being of French origin, from Louisiana.I think "Pooh-Lawn" probably makes sense.;)

I use "Pole-un" myself, like Mike said. I often tell him, he talks funny,:D being from KY. But I say it the same way, so maybe I talk funny too!:laugh:

:cheers:
Gregg,

View attachment 197890
197890d1315239196-picture-jpg-jpg

Last edited:
ok - found a similar thread:

http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/76524.htm

also some company history:

Poulan was originally an independent american company based in shreveport, louisiana, founded as poulan saw co. In 1946 by chainsaw pioneer claude poulan.

Poulan was purchased in late fifties or early sixties by the beaird company, also of shreveport, it was then known as beaird-poulan. The company then merged with weed eater in the 1970s, and was eventually purchased by electrolux several years later.

A poulan chainsaw model 245a was featured in the 1971 film movie the texas chain saw massacre.

today the poulan brand name is used primarily for outdoor power equipment, such as chainsaws, lawn mowers, leaf blowers, chain saws, and lawnmowers, aimed at the mid level consumer market.

Since poulan is owned by husqvarna, the two brands often share design technologies. In recent years poulan has offered a more hearty poulan pro brand employing a black and gold color scheme instead of the traditional poulan green. As a result, poulan products have been pushed even further downmarket.

Along with poulan and husqvarna branded products, husqvarna also provides lawn mowers, lawn tractors, and other yard equipment to sears that are sold under the sears craftsman brand name. Most mid level craftsman products are merely just slightly altered poulan products in a different color schematic.

poulan company history courtesy of husqvarna outdoor products, home

so it might depend on how claude pronounced his family name with a louisiana accent!

The very important part of Pioneer/Partner becoming Poulan Pro is missing from that story.....

Last edited:
Been waiting on Mark to come back out and play... missing his straight to the point posts.

Yeah I've been waiting for Modified Mark to respond to this thread. Having grown up in south Georgia where the sand cast Poulans were one of the big three in the 60's and 70's for the pulp wooders I have heard them called everything, including names that will get me banned.

Based upon the comments from a regional representative of the company that lived in Tifton Georgia the correct is term is ;

Po, where the O is in the long vowlel sense as in Bo, Mo, No, and for this joint Ho,
And the second part is Len.

Poulan is Polen, and the second correct is,

Poland, just like the country, he said the company had become so used to different pronunciations across the country, they would just about answer to anything.

Hope this helps.

Your still mad that my little POS Poulan whipped your POS Echo? :hmm3grin2orange:

Just wait, bring that little box store worthy Sthil with you this time so I can destroy it as well. :laugh:

Hey Mark,
You were right about the PP330 being a powerful saw and about the 095 bar mount fitting those 330's, I just had to fool a little more with the file and crank the oiler up. I'm glad I kept at it because the 330 is now one of my favorite saws. Initially, I had a little carb trouble but I found that the high screw was very particular about where wanted to be. Once I got it adjusted right, I have never had another issue. Super fast and great power for 54cc.

Hey Mark,
You were right about the PP330 being a powerful saw and about the 095 bar mount fitting those 330's, I just had to fool a little more with the file and crank the oiler up. I'm glad I kept at it because the 330 is now one of my favorite saws. Initially, I had a little carb trouble but I found that the high screw was very particular about where wanted to be. Once I got it adjusted right, I have never had another issue. Super fast and great power for 54cc.

Don't let that old geezer fool ya!
He didn't get that old by being DUMB!!!:cheers:

Don't let that old geezer fool ya!
He didn't get that old by being DUMB!!!:cheers:

I remember asking you a few questions on the carb for that saw as well. Thought I had one of the bad carbs needing warranty replacement. There is no room for play on the high needle on this one. It likes one spot and one spot only! But once I got it there......................no looking back! I run a 18", 3\8 pitch, 64 DL bar on it and I don't stop cutting till I run out of tree or run out of gas, it is loads of fun and a fine runner! Thanks for the help before.

The old-timers I used to talk and work with in the shops use a pronounciation that sounds somewhere between "pole-en" and "pull-en". These were guys that had a lot of experience with the OLD Poulans, starting with the sandcast saws. They had nothing but respect for the brand. The first syllable is real short, with little pause before the "en". That's how I ended up pronouncing it. I actually have had to think about whether it is "pole" or "pull" when I say Poulan.......and it still end's up being somewhere in between...:msp_confused:

Claude Poulan (also posted on Poulan thread)

I am happy to see the interest in this thread and the history of Poulan chainsaws. I am the grandson of Claude Poulan. I noticed a post about the Poulan name pronunciation on google which led me to it. The correct pronunciation is Pou (like so) and lan (like gun). (It is my middle name).

It is neat to see the interest in the history of such things as I have always been very proud of my grandads accomplishments. As many of you may know, he invented the first one man operated chainsaw, the "bow guide", while working with German prisoners in Texas during World War II. A little known fact is that prior to starting up the plant with his brothers in Shreveport he actually started making chainsaws with my grandmother, Gertrude, in their garage in Texas. They were very good people and I think that most folks would agree!

While I did enjoy learning about how the business was started and progressed, as a young man I regret that I never really appreciated or absorbed all of the valuable things that my Grandad tried to share with me about mechanical things. For this I do regret, but more importantly I did learn much about life from him and he will always be remembered fondly.

Best to you all,

Ty

Latest posts

Back