Pole pruner (gas powered)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grey

Wood junky
Reaction score
Looking to add a pole saw to my arsenal. Why???? Because I don't have one. I have used manual pole loppers and saws (good quality japanese blades). However, I would love to have a 2-stroker also. So, what should I be looking for (length, cc's, brands, etc?) I'm a home owner, but I have 16 acres of woods that need alot of maintenance.

I have a Stihl HT-131 that I bought last Fall. It's more tool than I'll ever need, but I tend to buy the best that I can reasonably afford. It's a two-stroke, but it's their new 4-Mix engine. It supposedly has valves in it.

Anyways, it makes a lot of torque and does what it does, very well. Pole saws ain't cheap no matter how you cut it.

Prior to buying mine, I applied for a new credit card. If approved, they gave you $200.00 cash back if you made a purchase of $500.00 or more within three months of getting your card. So.....that's what I did. I actually got almost $207.00 cash back after buying the pole saw. Oh yeah, and I got 10% off MSRP on the saw from where I bought it as well.

If I recall correctly, the actual cost to me was about $345.00 or so after all was said and done. :dancing:

Should have mentioned to get a telescoping pole saw. Some have fixed length shafts. They are cheaper to buy, but then again, the distance you can reach is limited.

And, they can get heavy. I'm a big guy, but I limit my cutting to about 20 min. sessions, then I take a break.

http://www.arboristsite.com/communi...-a-bar-chain-first-look-at-a-me-246-4.277568/ there is a little info about the echo pole saw which is 2 stroke and the dolmar which is 4 stroke. If your just going to use occasionally look into a attachment series trimmer with a pole saw attachment but if it will be used extensively i would avoid that route. They dont have the reach that an extendable pole saw does. extensions can be bought for the PAS series but they get pretty flimsy once one of those 3ft extensions is added. lots of valve problems have been reported on the early 4-mix engines but we have a 10 yr old trimmer that other than a few carb replacements has been great.

The Stihl ht131 is a 4-mix which is a four stroke that runs on mix for its lubrication, and yes it has valves because it is a four stroke.
If you want the best two stroke extended polesaw the Echo is the way to go. I have a ht100, ht131 and ht250. The 4-mixes are great in thus application and most pro's around here use the Stihls. If you can get by with a fixed polesaw and a ladder the ht250 is a very powerful two stroke that handles a 16" bar easily. Thats what I grab before my 131 as the extended saws are heavy.

Prior to purchasing the HT-131, I asked the sales guy to explain the 4-Mix theory / operation. He did so, and I thought that I had a good grasp of it.

Can someone give me a quick refresher course on it's design and function? I'd like to make sure I know what's going on inside that engine.

I have an older HT 75 and it has some kilometres on it for sure. But it sure is handy. I think adding one to your arsenal is a good investment. It opens up work that you may not have Been to do. I was trimming a tree in my yard and had a few of the neighbours ask if I could come and trim a branch or 3. A crisp plastic 20 from each one and I had gas for the car and some for the saws. 2123 said it best, buy the best you can afford. AND take good care of it!

Should have mentioned to get a telescoping pole saw. Some have fixed length shafts. They are cheaper to buy, but then again, the distance you can reach is limited.

And, they can get heavy. I'm a big guy, but I limit my cutting to about 20 min. sessions, then I take a break.
+1 on the telescoping. Btw I just got a husqvarna.

Pay attention to how your cutting and what the limb is doing. Pretty easy to bend the shaft on them and it is expensive to repair/replace

Absolutely! I don't take on branches too big or ones in precarious positions.

As much as I like my HT-131, I definitely get the impression it's a bit of a drama queen in regards to being treated properly.......if that makes any sense. They are expensive to begin with, and I can clearly see they'd be just as expensive to get repaired.

I have an HT-56 for a couple reasons: two stroke, Stihl, lighter than some, 1/4" chain which I love, homeowner grade buttttt.... as someone once said you can cut for thirty minutes and it will take three hours to clean up the mess. A tank of gas would be an epic clean up! Also breaks into two pieces for hauling/storing convenience. I haven't needed repair parts, but feel sure I could get them.....$.02 Oh, and last but not least, it was a gift!!

HT 101 for me.
Has a different feel then a 2 stroke. Takes a few minutes to get the feel for it but it will handle some large branches if you have an idea how to drop them. Whatever you choose many of these pole saws are pinched so often and the monkey on the wrong end thinks he should pull and pull and pull until ....well until the shaft is farked up.
Take some weight off the branch then 3cut your drops and keep the chain sharp. Simple stuff...

Had a very old Stihl 101 ( 4 mix) for 4 or 5 years - it was a trade at local dealers, don't do a lot with a polesaw but always handy and adds to the repertoire of services you can offer a customer (as a stump grinder primarily). The 101 was an excellent saw but getting a little hard to start so took it in for valve adjust/tune/service as I didn't know enough about the 4 mix to be confident to do any good on it.

In the meantime decided to upgrade to a new polesaw and bought a H75 (2 stroke) and sold the 101 for what I paid for it - which was now starting/running beautifully post service.

Regretted selling the old 101 ever since, no comparison in power/torque. Should have bought a new 101 or upgraded to the Stihl 131. A tree man mate was looking for a new polesaw, as he had had several 75's in a row, and does a lot of work out of a bucket with them. Found a Stihl dealer in the N/E of our State (thanks AusDribThrd) and he got a 131. The next half a dozen times we spoke he thanked me again for putting him onto the 131 and how good it is. He loves it !!

The 75, 101 & 131 Stihls all use 50:1 two stroke mix.

Used the ht131 and ht75 for many hours, when I bought my own I went for the ht75 as it is a simple reliable 2 stroke and I was hearing of issues with the new valved stihls, nice power when they worked though. In Oz the shaft is around $600 and it's very easy to bend at full stretch. We've got got almost a dozen at work, mostly ht131 though I asked for a 75, they're slightly lighter too. We also have an echo extending 2t pruner, what an absolute pile of junk, runs like a bag of crap, is so anti-ergonomic its painful, horrid horrid machine, it will not die though, its been run over by a truck twice so the fiberglass shaft is a mass of splinters held together with tape, it's also been bent when someone jack knifed the chipper it was on but it still works, shame, the boss won't bin it till it dies

For the ones i have been around i think the echo is the best pole saw made...mainly based on the shaft construction since that is what will give you the most trouble. I havent used one enough that someone should give much weight to my opinion though. the one that i own is an old husky attachment series that i got traded in which works good but doesnt have enough reach.

There's got to be more than one design I guess, I'll take a picture tomorrow if I remember, nobody uses it by choice and if they do their comment is normally - "that thing is ****ing ****" :D

Back