Pole pruner (gas powered)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HT 101 for me.
Has a different feel then a 2 stroke. Takes a few minutes to get the feel for it but it will handle some large branches if you have an idea how to drop them. Whatever you choose many of these pole saws are pinched so often and the monkey on the wrong end thinks he should pull and pull and pull until ....well until the shaft is farked up.
Take some weight off the branch then 3cut your drops and keep the chain sharp. Simple stuff...
Even the extendable gasoline powered pole saws or pole pruners have limited reach. I suspect the guy that gets stuck couldn't reach (without a bucket truck or staging) to take some weight off. You are not supposed to cut from directly below but that is the only angle one can let go of the device without damaging it and push up (or rotate) on the pinching branch. It is kind of a helpless feeling if there is no one to push up on the pinching branch.

a well placed rope, an angled head and some planning may help there. nothing will help if the operator is not skilled enough to use any tool beyond its intended "reach" pun intended.

Even the extendable gasoline powered pole saws or pole pruners have limited reach. I suspect the guy that gets stuck couldn't reach (without a bucket truck or staging) to take some weight off. You are not supposed to cut from directly below but that is the only angle one can let go of the device without damaging it and push up (or rotate) on the pinching branch. It is kind of a helpless feeling if there is no one to push up on the pinching branch.

I have an HT-56 for a couple reasons: two stroke, Stihl, lighter than some, 1/4" chain which I love, homeowner grade buttttt.... as someone once said you can cut for thirty minutes and it will take three hours to clean up the mess. A tank of gas would be an epic clean up! Also breaks into two pieces for hauling/storing convenience. I haven't needed repair parts, but feel sure I could get them.....$.02 Oh, and last but not least, it was a gift!!
Any chance you could bring it along to the GTG this weekend?

I have the ht131 and ht100.got a great deal on the ht100 used at the local dealer.everything was brand new from the motor down.picked it up for $225.dont know how i lived without these things before i bought them.

Quite right Franny -

Prior to purchasing the HT-131, I asked the sales guy to explain the 4-Mix theory / operation. He did so, and I thought that I had a good grasp of it.

Can someone give me a quick refresher course on it's design and function? I'd like to make sure I know what's going on inside that engine.

It is actually a basic 4-stroke, just like the engine on your 4 stroke mower or in your car. It has a cam, valves, push rods and rocker arms. The difference being that the crankcase is dry, like a 2 stroke. The oil is mixed into the fuel like a 2 stroke, and the fuel/oil mix is routed through the crankcase and lubricates the moving parts in the same fashion as a 2 stroke is lubricated. Stihl has a cool video on their site that shows how it works. I was going to paste a link, but I can't get it to paste.

It is actually a basic 4-stroke, just like the engine on your 4 stroke mower or in your car. It has a cam, valves, push rods and rocker arms. The difference being that the crankcase is dry, like a 2 stroke. The oil is mixed into the fuel like a 2 stroke, and the fuel/oil mix is routed through the crankcase and lubricates the moving parts in the same fashion as a 2 stroke is lubricated. Stihl has a cool video on their site that shows how it works. I was going to paste a link, but I can't get it to paste.

Thanks! That helps.

So, it fires on every other stroke like a typical 4-stroke? Or......does it still fire on every stroke? UPDATE: Looks as if it fires every other stroke.

http://www.stihl.com/4-mix-engine-lightweight-and-with-good-lugging-power.aspx

I like my 4 mix, forgot, but I think its an ht 101. It reaches way out and like all pole saws that weight out there pulls and works your muscles or may be I should say strains muscles. I am sure in some situations a 2 stroke may feel better, but what I like about the gutsy strong 4 mix is you rest the weight of the front (the bar and chain) on the limb your cutting and pull the trigger it goes. Its been a while since I used a 2 stroke extendable pruner but I believe I remember needing to pick up the bar to get it to accelerate into the cut to get it going and it seemed to work me harder that way. 4 mixes pull hard at the starter, but after priming it with the bulb mine starts 1st pull probably near 90% of the time or more on cold starts and it runs long enough on choke I get the choke of before it dies. Seldom I shut it off while I have it out to use, it idles lovely and 1 pull starts consistent warm.
When you don't need the reach a fixed length lighter pole pruner is quite a bit easier to use for an extended period of time.

Spot on brushwacker, I find the same with the 2 stroke, have to have it revving before touching the limb, the 101 four mix would just take off cutting and I miss that ability.

It does work you harder until you get used to the rev it up first 2 stroke.

If a 4 mix is getting hard to start it probably needs valve adjust if my old one was any example.....wish I hadn't sold it........ :cry: :)

I've been lookin' at 'em... damn, they don't give those things away, do they??
The thing is, I don't see me using it more than once or twice a year, small branches on the yard trees, real light duty stuff. Spendin' 500 bucks on something for the purpose I intend it seems over-the-top to me... heck, I ain't gonna' make firewood with it. B'sides, I wanna' get another toy or two so I need to stretch the man-toy funds somewhat :D

So anyway, I found a 25cc pole saw for under $200.00, it don't have a telescoping shaft but it does have a removable 2-foot section... and ya' can get accessory attachments for it (not that that's really important to me). I ain't pulled the trigger yet because... well... that whole, "ya'-get-what-ya'-pay-for" thing keeps beatin' me on the brain. Still, it gets some darn good "homeowner" reviews... and I am thinkin' "homeowner" duty.

What y'all think?? A waste of 200 clams??

http://remingtonpowertools.com/PoleSaws

Flywheel on all the ones I have had apart is held on with a palnut. Parts are readily available since it is a MTD product. Remington is a pretty low quality product put together the very cheapest way they could find.

The thing is, I don't see me using it more than once or twice a year, small branches on the yard trees, real light duty stuff. Spendin' 500 bucks on something for the purpose I intend it seems over-the-top to me... heck, I ain't gonna' make firewood with it. B'sides, I wanna' get another toy or two so I need to stretch the man-toy funds somewhat :D

So anyway, I found a 25cc pole saw for under $200.00, it don't have a telescoping shaft but it does have a removable 2-foot section... and ya' can get accessory attachments for it (not that that's really important to me). I ain't pulled the trigger yet because... well... that whole, "ya'-get-what-ya'-pay-for" thing keeps beatin' me on the brain. Still, it gets some darn good "homeowner" reviews... and I am thinkin' "homeowner" duty.

I would put the $200 toward an echo,husky or stihl.

Flywheel on all the ones I have had apart is held on with a palnut. Parts are readily available since it is a MTD product. Remington is a pretty low quality product put together the very cheapest way they could find.
LOL :laughing:
So... cheap built but parts are easy to get... is that a CYA non-endorsement?? :p

That's likely not gonna' happen... I ain't gonna' drop 5 bills (or more) on something I'm gonna' use for less than an hour a year.
I'll just skip it at that amount of cash and keep using a ladder... I'm talking about trimming thumb-to-wrist sized branches on a dozen or so yard trees.
Heck, some years they don't even need trimming...

Back