Pole Saw recommendation

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Impalervlad

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I've been working as an inspector with tree crews clearing trees around jug handles on the Interstates. To do the trimming, they often use pole saws. The crew mostly uses Stihl because they claim that they are more durable - Husky didn't work out for them.
I was doing some splitting and looking out over the garden and noticed several branches from the Sweetgum, Maples, and Walnuts are hanging out over the garden. I was getting ready to rev up my tophandle Echo and do some climbing when my wife reminded me that I'm a little too old and arthritic to be doing that stuff. I really don't like working off a ladder - had top many questionable experiences.
Then I had the thought - why don't you just get a pole saw. I think I can reach most of the stuff I'm concerned about with a 12 foot or so saw and I would be willing to go up on a short and stable step ladder to get a little height advantage if I needed it.
My favorite local dealer carries Husqvarna and Echo. My not so favored dealer carries Stihl. I called the Husqvarna/Echo dealer and they will be getting some Echo extendable pole saws in a few days.
My question is, should I get the Echo - a PPT266H if I understood the person on the phone correctly - or, should I contact the knows better than everybody Stihl dealer and inquire about a Stihl Saw. I probably will anyway but, I thought i would get some opinions. Price is a consideration but I'm more concerned about dealer service. I trust the Echo guys.
Okay guys - give me your opinions and advice.

I don't think it'll matter too much which brand of pole saw you get, just get a good one. Don't be afraid to spend a little money on one; it'll pay for itself quickly. I thought it would only get used twice a year; not so. I use it down in the ditch, use it to wage war on kudzu, use it to limb (don't have to bend over) and of course for pruning.

For what it's worth, I have a Stihl.

Why even consider the Stihl. You don't like the dealer. One thing, you better make sure that echo dealer has the people to fix that tool. There is more than one dealer in central NJ.
Anyway, HT101 IMO. No need for a HT131

I don't have any experience operating the echo power pole saws but the prices are right and they have multiple models from 7' to 16'. I am looking at purchasing the ECHO PPT-280 it has a telescoping shaft that extends to 13' with an optional 3' extension. As for Husqvarna I've been running an X series 327P5 for 3 years, its by far the easiest gas saw I own to start and has never needed tuning. Its quiet, balanced, light weight, with a little over 10' of reach. It has a two piece shaft allowing easy storage. Either of these saws will get the job done it comes down to price and if you want to spend the extra cash for a sweet telescoping version. As for service DIY does mine but if you get a husky you won't need to worry about service.

Last edited:
KM130 w/ pole saw attachments and extension.
HT 131 is nice but when you have to pay 375$ for a new shaft in 6 months you'll be singing the blues.
And no matter how skilled you are you'll bend the shaft on that 131 in under a year, everyone does.

KM130 w/ pole saw attachments and extension.
HT 131 is nice but when you have to pay 375$ for a new shaft in 6 months you'll be singing the blues.
And no matter how skilled you are you'll bend the shaft on that 131 in under a year, everyone does.

Not yet and I had it about three years.

Stihl km 110 with Extension and Pole Pruner it's 10' and a lot lighter and you can add more kombisystem-attachments I've got a stihl pruner and I replaced it with this because of the wt.

Last edited:
Have you thought about a multitool? I mean one of those engines which can switch to multiple attachments. I happen to have a old model Stihl KM 85(1.3hp) only because I got mine on a sale(-20% incl. Brushcutter!) in a store. But I have read a lot of praise about Echo equipment here and actually wanted to buy one. The only problem there were no dealers around here 5 years ago.
If you only want to use it in your garden I would seriously think about one of the multitools. I have the hedge clipper, chain saw, brushcutter and extension attachments. I know a lot of people will tell you to get the top of the line machine but my low end model has cut all I have asked of it.

Good luck!

Love my HT101. Starts up easy every time. As others have mentions, maybe look into a multi-tool system. Stihl makes a lightweight shaft extension that would make the kombi pole pruner setup lighter than an HT pole saw.

How many branches and how large? Just a few, save the cash and just get an extensible manual pole saw. They work fine for occassional use. I just have a cheapo corona and have done (lost track) must be way over a hundred branches by now, still with original blade. I think largest around 8 inch diameter. for a bit more, you can get a better one, say a fiskars.

I just looked, 12 foot fiskars is under 30 bucks on big river in south america online place. I think a few site sponsors sell manual pole saws as well.

Got a 40cc Efco brushcutter,four years,one problem under warranty.Do miles of electric fence with it.Like to know more about that polesaw.

I have the Kombi 130 I'm working on getting all of the attachments, but the pole saw works awesome
I'm really impressed with the power, You can actually lay the saw on a limb than pull the trigger and it powers right through, unlike some that you have to rev up than start cutting.
Like most Stihl products It's always dependable...just grab it out of the shed and give a couple pulls and away you go...never any problems...

I have a echo ppt260 thats about 7 years old, use the #### out of it, fantastic tool never one problem,the extension is rock solid.
If I had to get a new pole saw,I'd get another echo,I'm not a big fan of echo chain saws,but a pole saw,I'd buy a echo for sure:clap:

Back