pole saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danl

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I'm probably going to regret even asking this, but has anyone used a PP446 Poulan pole saw?

I don't need one professionally, just to trim overhanging limbs around the pasture so they won't knock me in the head when I'm bushhogging.

I can get one for about $185, that's less than half of a Echo or Stihl.
I can't justify buying a Stihl or Echo, but $185 isn't too bad, unless it's a total piece of junk. And they have a two year warranty, if I didn't toast it in two years it would probably last. (I think).

Dan
btw I have a 038, 044 and a Husky 55r so I know there is a difference in quality.

As everyone else will tell you, poulan is crap. I've heard that theres some kind of problem with the shafts on those things. For what you need, I'd recommend an Echo ppt210 pole saw, lightweight, probably quieter, will last 1000X longer, and it looks good to boot.

The plastic on those poulan things is like a Ryobi I had about 6 years ago, heavy, slow, weak, and prone to breaking every 5 hours.

Dan,
I got one of the Polan PP446's, probably from the same place you're talking about.
It's nothing to write home about, but it has paid for itself. Lacks power, hard to keep tuned, but it did what I needed. :blob2:

Why not just rent one once a year for 3 - 4 hours.

I know its out of your price range you stated, but I just bought a huskqvarna polesaw and love it. Its got good power and it seems to be pretty tough.

Last edited:
True homeowner quality. a light duty tool. I got mine for 149.00.
it does the job.but it is not fast. overall i am pleased with it. I would have really wanted an Echo but couldn't justify spending 449.00 for a tool that would see little use after the initial job.

Back