Polishing a turd season 2011

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TJ-Bill

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I'm doign abit of work to the splitter.. adding a table, moving the hitch so it's level with the ATV's and adding a trailer jack..

imgp5065.jpg

imgp5093c.jpg

imgp5094.jpg

Still have to add some bracing and paint.

Excellent choice on the walkway grates. :msp_thumbup:

I bought my splitter used and it had shelves made from angle and thick sheet steel. Very functional but collects all the bark, dust and rain water-especially since there bowed into the middle. Plan to do something similar to yours in the future. Right now I'm just using it as is to see if there is anything else I want to change too.

Bit of an update.

It's been a slow process, I normally only get to work on the splitter a couple times a week after my daughter goes to bed and most of that time is spent figuring out where I left off.

I made a little mistake mounting the trailer jack, I had it mocked-up and had an idea. When I went back to finish it and build my brackets I didn't notice I left the Jack in the Horizontal position. So there's a little less material holding it in place but I don't think it'll matter on a splitter.

Also I found that I need more clearance for turning, so instead of making a really long tongue for the hitch I made it adjustable.

Only think left is to finish welding the hitch up, fab up a bracket for the tire I got for the jack and paint.

imgp5144c.jpg

imgp5145.jpg

imgp5146r.jpg

Last edited:
looks good, is that a timberline wood stove you have there.

TEDMI

It's a.. . . Stove of sorts.. sorry not sure exactly what it is,. it came with our house, I upgraded and this guy gets to try and heat the shed!

I've been on the road for the last few days but I managed to rush and finish the mods tonight. My dad need to use it soon so he can get some spilt and moved. I need to use his truck to get some hay, things work better if we make less trips.

here's the wheel I bought.. I wanted bigger but it didn't fit the design.

imgp5147.jpg

imgp5149.jpg

Finally standing on it's new legs

imgp5151.jpg

I think that's it for this year.. hopefully next year I'll tackle the tires and axle.. Really if I have time I need a new beam, which means a complete overhaul!

time will tell.. I hate polishing a Turd!:cheers:

Back