Polishing the Pile

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
so yesterday, I see a local hack out on a job, has 8 guys! 2 of them were working, other 6 all had rakes in there hand, raking up little parts of the yard! talk about polishing the pile! I wish I had the money to have 8 guys on 1 job, and it was like a 40-50 maple! and one guy had a mowhawk with a bunch of metal hanging out of his face! This guy had a large inheritance and bought some equipment, has a grapple truck, watched him use it to knock the stump off, they kept smacking the stump really hard with it, they are all scratching their heads, then, the owner goes over, puts a wedge in the cut, pulls out a saw and cuts for 3 or 4 minutes, then gets up and tries to smack it off again, no luck, more cutting, finally, after 4 attempts they get it off, then the grapple operator grabs the stump and tries to lift it over a fence and into the truck, didn't have a good bite, stump flips out, NAILS the fence, I had enough at that point and left! For now on, if I get a polisher, I will send him to those guys!

Rakeology, transindetal raketation...

What I will do is determine the outer edges of the work area, and work around it to define the zone.

If it is fall, then a blower is used on start up to define the work zone (WZ) if we are not getting paid for a fall cleanup (sometimes it is a throw-in though).

Then i will rake into berms and piles that are gradually loaded onto tarps as the fines are moved along with the rake.

I can usually get a generous portion of the fines onto the tarp with the rake fan and my boot. Everything generally moves to a central location depending on the size of the WZ.

On bigger jobs I try to establish one or two general drag paths, so that we do not have to fine rake the entire yard.

On bigger jobs I encourage people to regularly pick up a rake, especially in the LZ so that we are not up to our ankles in a twiggy mess when the drag & chip is done.

I try to bid hings so that fine raking is defined in the contract. It is usually the next thing I offer as discount after big wood. I find that many startup companies often loose time on cleanup because they do not have a system, and do not add more time for certain species. To me honey locust and green ash are the worst.

Also having several styles of rakes on the truck can help expedite the process. Those cheap dime-store flimsy plastic wide fan types will loose you money in time-on-site.

I know a few guys who will bring a commercial mower along to scalp the lawn first, then do a cleanup pass to get errant leaves and twigs.

Every trade has the saying "The customer may not know what we do, but they know a good cleanup form a bad one"

i love me a great clean up too but i find it a bit on the excessive side to be tarping the area around the chipper there TM. next time you pull this little move off i need some pics, please. just to see the setup.
Actually, I'm speaking of tarping a runway to the chipper. Consider; every time you chip, you shake out a bunch of mess. This mess either gets cleaned up or ignored,,.. or something in between. Most (but not all) the time I throw down a runway tarp. This one is a 6x20 heavy duty tarp like they use to cover tractor trailers. I had this one custom made to mount onto a roller underneath the chipper's infeed box (which I've not yet done).

Remember, I'm running a 6" Bandit. I drag light brush. You guys using mondo chippers, not practical, you'll peel the tarp, I'd imagine.

In the image below, I have to admit, the mess was made between a house and a fence. The 'runway' was skidded from the drop zone to the chipper, where it is seen here. No raking.

attachment.php

Here's a better video, time-lapse. This is more typical, I don't tarp the area around the chipper, but rather tarp the drop zone, then pull the chipper onto, or as near as I can get to it.

I rarely regret laying down tarps. I almost always regret when I don't.

This was a sweetgum prune and there was going to be 6 gazillion seed balls. If you can keep the balls from ever touching the lawn, you're that much further ahead. Another job, no raking necessary, ------> dreaded sweetgum balls.

8x8 handled tarps from Wesspur

We have a few of these. Load them up and pick them by the handles with the mini skid grapple. They don't blow around and they've held up well.

Poly mesh brush tarps
8’ x 8’ Brush Tarp
8’ x 8’ Brush Tarp with Handles
$39.00 Item # uti119

Mesh tarp made of woven UV resistant PVC-coated polyester. Six handles make it great for loading up and transporting brush. Edges are heat sealed and grommet ed with brass grommets on each corner and all sides at 2’ intervals. Works will for lightweight to rugged materials and handles great even in extreme conditions. Resists water, mildew, and rot, excellent durability.

Well its been a while, but I got another one. A pile polisher. Hired this kid who worked wiping butts for 4 years at a retirement home, as a grunt. Big farm strong looking lad. Figured "now that's work ethic" WRONG! Kid will watch ya work hard all day, hold a rake up nicely. Tell em " run get the wheel barrow and rake start cleaning that up" He slowly wanders over there, grabs the stuff, slowly makes his was back, oh wait, forgot something in the truck, better go get it, got it, wait! gotta reset my helmet, so it looks cool on me, better check in the mirror, etc, you guys get the point. Kid can rake a very nice pile of saw dust and then try and pick it up with the pitch fork, watch it fall thru, rake up a nice pile again!
I gave him the "what for" on Saturday, today will most likely be the last day, as we have a hill side to clear of deadwood, lots a humping wood up. I am sure this will be a bad day for him, so we will see!
He knows that if I dont see a 100% improvement, he will need to go back ta wipin butts!

Last edited:
Well its been a while, but I got another one. A pile polisher. Hired this kid who worked wiping butts for 4 years at a retirement home, as a grunt. Big farm strong looking lad. Figured "now that's work ethic" WRONG! Kid will watch ya work hard all day, hold a rake up nicely. Tell em " run get the wheel barrow and rake start cleaning that up" He slowly wanders over there, grabs the stuff, slowly makes his was back, oh wait, forgot something in the truck, better go get it, got it, wait! gotta reset my helmet, so it looks cool on me, better check in the mirror, etc, you guys get the point. Kid can rake a very nice pile of saw dust and then try and pick it up with the pitch fork, watch it fall thru, rake up a nice pile again!
I gave him the "what for" on Saturday, today will most likely be the last day, as we have a hill side to clear of deadwood, lots a humping wood up. I am sure this will be a bad day for him, so we will see!
He knows that if I dont see a 100% improvement, he will need to go back ta wipin butts!

Fire his ass!

Wish I could do it for you!

I hate trying to show how to rake, they always want to get all the dead grass. Alot of times I have to grab the rake and do it my self. It drives me CRAZY! I think I am the best raker around.

Me and my two guys work well together. We can knock out some sheit pretty quick. I always have to laugh when were cleaning up to see who grabs the blower first.

Back