POLL: gaffs on trims or not?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you use gaffs on trims?

• never use gaffs on trims

Votes: 34 72.3%
  • sometimes use gaffs on trims

Votes: 12 25.5%
  • most times I use gaffs on trims

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • I gaff all trims

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Davidsinatree

Davidsinatree

ArboristSite Operative
Since the topic of gaffs are hot at this time Iv been wanting to post a poll on how many poeple are using gaffs on TRIMS only. We know for REMOVALES & LINE CLEARANCE gaffs are used so these two areas of work are not included in this poll so please do not vote if this is the only thing you do.
There is no way someone will know who is gaffing trims because results are just #'s.
Be honest, again this is just to find out the percentage of poeple using gaffs on trims only.
HAPPY VOTING!!!

MasterBlaster

MasterBlaster

TreeHouse Elder
I started treework exclusively on hooks, then I learned to climb without them. That was a hard transformation, but once I caught on, I loved it.
Then, I worked for a guy that WANTED me to hook 'em because he thought it would be faster.
Nowadays, one in a hundred trees might get hooked due to various reasons. And now that I've got my BS, one of the reasons has been checked off the list.
Its better for me and the tree to work sans hooks.

David, I doubt any of the full-time hookers:)D ) will respond due to their lack of a fire-proof suit.

Davidsinatree

Davidsinatree

ArboristSite Operative
Did'nt say they were accepted Nick, just stated that they are used. I havent seen a line guy climb without them. But lets not get off topic here, this thread has nothing to do with line clearance... uhhh its all about trims.

NickfromWI

NickfromWI

Addicted to ArboristSite
Ok, ok. Just trimming.

For me...I don't use 'em. It concerns me that as of now, "no-spikes ever" is winning by only one vote.

I've had employers put the pressure on about "just spike it and get it done." From their uneducated/uncaring point of view, it makes sense. Nick at tree A, still getting his line set, and Bubba at Tree B, already halfway up the tree because he's using spikes.

In the case of that employer, that coworker was able to make me look..."bad" (in the employers eyes). In his eyes, a nicely trimmed tree has a hollow inner canopy, a big pile of brush underneath it, branches not starting until a few feet higher than when we got there, and a smiling customer standing next to it.

Under my tree there'd be a little pile of sick and dry branches next to it, and a customer standing there, pointing up going, "are you gonna get that branch?"

grrrr

The point is...the job that bubba did can easily and quickly be done with spikes on. No working of the tips. Just get what you can reach without leaving the trunk to much.

I would always tell the boss, "if could trim a tree like that, without prunes, and faster than bubba does it. But that's not they way it's supposed to be done. I won't do it."

He didn't put up too much of a fuss. But he wouldn't encourage others to do it closer to the "right way."

So, yeah...leave the spikes on the ground.

love
nick

MasterBlaster

MasterBlaster

TreeHouse Elder
Originally posted by NickfromWI
So it's accepted to use spikes on line clearance? Huh. I didn't know that.

Due to the production-oriented mindset of the utility companys, I highly doubt they will ever do spikeless trims.

But if they came into MY yard and tried to trim MY Live Oaks with hooks... well, lets just say they WON'T. :angry:

topnotchtree
T

topnotchtree

The use of hooks for me depends on the situation. It all depends on the tree and what is going to be done to the tree. I am by no means defending hook users, but I think it is worth noting that some guys can climb a tree with hooks on and leave very little damage to the tree. Other guys will leave tree looking like a lion climbed it. I NEVER HOOK A TREE FROM THE GROUND. And I often take my hooks off after I get tied in.

topnotchtree
T

topnotchtree

But if they came into MY yard and tried to trim MY Live Oaks with hooks... well, lets just say they WON'T. :angry: [/QUOTE]

So does that mean you will give them permission to drive a bucket truck into your yard? Lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Guy Meilleur

Guy Meilleur

Addicted to ArboristSite
I follow ANSI and use spikes on certain species in certain situations when it is not practically possible to advance a rope.
I'm anti-spike but it's not a dogmatically absolute rule.

A vigorous sweetgum with a long branchless stretch and no good crotch to toss aline into may get spiked for the stretch needed.

" I NEVER HOOK A TREE FROM THE GROUND. And I often take my hooks off after I get tied in."
Yeah what th said.

MasterBlaster

MasterBlaster

TreeHouse Elder
Originally posted by topnotchtree
[/B]
So does that mean you will give them permission to drive a bucket truck into your yard? Lol [/B]

Sure! Why not? I've drove many a bucket truck into someone's yard before. I'ld rather fix some ruts than risk potential damage to my babys!

Last edited by a moderator:
NeTree

NeTree

Addicted to ArboristSite
Rocky, ever see Baranek's site? In every tree he's climbing "just for fun" he's wearing spikes. Sick, ain't it?:angry:

I never use spikes on trims, and only rarely on removals. My feet and legs are much more comfortable working without them. :cool:

NickfromWI

NickfromWI

Addicted to ArboristSite
Hey rock, I think this is a great poll. I thought the same as you did. I just assumed that the people that were here would be some of the most advanced climber in the country...the world! I just took it for granted that spiking on prunes wasn't even an issue. I never would have thought that the "cream of the crop" might see spikes as a necessity every now and then.

This poll is sort of like a wake-up call.

And Rocky, please vote. That will help the stats and I'll be able to sleep better tonight!

NeTree

NeTree

Addicted to ArboristSite
I can think of one case where the benefit of spikes outweighed not wearing them.

I cabled a large hornbeam about 5 years ago. The tree was split almost completely in two.

No access for a bucket, crane, etc. Too high to trust a ladder.

I sure as hell wasn't going to tie into anything above the split.

Tree was either to be cabled and rodded, or removed.

Talked the customer into keeping it.

So yep. I spiked it. As much as I hated leaving those gaff marks, I hated the thought of taking down an otherwise healthy (not rotted) tree with a beautiful crown.

Well, most of the split has been compartmentalized, and the gaff marks are gone.

Mission accomplished.

:angel:

NickfromWI

NickfromWI

Addicted to ArboristSite
Originally posted by netree
Well, most of the split has been compartmentalized, and the gaff marks are gone.

No, they are not gone...you just can't see them.

With that frame of thought..."I spiked it, but it's been a few years and the tree's fine".........what's to say that you shouldn't spike more trees? :rolleyes:

I don't understand why you'd spike up but not put your climbing line up there? I could see why a person would feel inclined to lower their TIP to reduce the amount of leverage they are putting on the entire lead, but if you're standing on it, whether in spikes or not, your entire body weight is still being supported by the tree.

Could you give me a little more info on this?

love
nick

NeTree

NeTree

Addicted to ArboristSite
The difference Nick, is that standing on gaffs put my weight straight down the trunk.

The tree had split in half, with about a 4 to 5 foot gap at the top. One half was resting on the roof of the house (and probably would have fallen all the way if the house didn't stop it). The other was leaning on the shed.

Given the curvature of the halves, it's simple physics that tying in even a low branch (which was about 45 feet) is going to put alot more force on the halves than slimbing on spikes advancing a strap ahead of me.

Yea, if ya wanna get technical, the marks are still there, bu the next person to see them is going to be removing the tree... duh.

Anyone who actually saw this tree would be a friggin retard to put a line in it. And no, there was nothing else nearby to put a line in, either.

BTW, out of 12 companies to look at the tree, I was the only one who considered it savlvageable. 11 others would remove it only.

Sorry, but the logic plays out in this one, Nick. Better safe than dead, and the tree's still there, instead of a huge patch of bare sky.