POLL: What do the Pro's run in your state

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Onan18

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Stihl, Husqvarna, Jonsered, Echo, Shindaiwa, and Dolmar. Who is top dog in your area amongst the professional loggers and tree services. Please be honest and leave personal preferences aside. This is for my final exam project I am mapping what manufacturer is top dog in a given state. I would like to hear from all of the lower 48 if possible, all 50 would be better. Here in GA Stihl is the undisputed king, period.

Thanks to everyone in advance for the help,
Joe

Seems like stihl mostly. The guy I worked for threw and out of high school ran shindawas for limbing and huskys for large saws. Our largest Tree company around me ( southern Detroit Suburbs) is blains tree service. he runs a pretty large outfit 2-3 bucket trucks owes or owns a lot of equipment.

I'd say 40 Stihl/40 Husky/20 Jonsered from the guys I know. Depends on what dealer is in the immediate area too so can widely vary from town to town.

Guido you are correct, this is not scientific at all. But, the point of this class is the art of making a map, it is a cartography course. The data is, while not irrelevant, not as important as how well designed and laid out the map is. I will see if I can find sales figures somewhere, but I am just mainly trying to get a general idea.

Joe

We run mostly stihl, they take serious full time work on large hardwoods, most of the work to 201ts are maintenance with a dose of careless abuse repairs thrown in, a couple fell out of trees, a couple run over etc mostly carb kits and broken plastic from being bashed, 660s have needed carb kits and tank vents, 192ts used for pruning are holding up well

We have three huskies, 365, 390 and 3120, 390 having a few issues due to the amount of heavy work it does, bits falling off, dust going straight through the filter, husqvarna .404 bar disintegrated the other day and it wasn't old. Not as impressed as I'd like to be, though a husqvarna as a personal saw that gets looked after would last fine

Stihl, Husqvarna, Jonsered, Echo, Shindaiwa, and Dolmar. Who is top dog in your area amongst the professional loggers and tree services. Please be honest and leave personal preferences aside. This is for my final exam project I am mapping what manufacturer is top dog in a given state. I would like to hear from all of the lower 48 if possible, all 50 would be better. Here in GA Stihl is the undisputed king, period.

Thanks to everyone in advance for the help,
Joe
I maybe able to help on the logger side of it . if your really interested please inbox me .

We have stihl too handles, husky 562s, and all saws 70cc and up are Stihl's. It's hard to top the 562, but the 460/660 are great saws.

I see about 2 to 1 Stihls vs. everything else around here. Since I have been using saws more then occaisonal ( early 1980"s), Stihl dealers have been consistent, either the same people keep them or they have passed the dealerships on, on occasion, to this day.
We had a local Jonsered dealer many years but they didn't seem to sell many saws. It was a ma-pa hardware store and I don't think they had very good service or were that serious about the chainsaw dealership and about 5 years ago they passed it to an guy out in the middle of nowhere and he lost it cause he never sold enough saws.
Around the turn of the century a few or so Husky dealers popped up within about a 40 mile radius but what they told me was they couldn't keep up servicing them and they were dropped by 2 of those dealers and a farm store corp. quit stocking the line in all but 1 of 3 or 4 stores but kept their Stihl line in all the stores.
Sachs Dolmar was popular with several tree services and a few loggers here until the dealership problems. I know of 2 Dolmar dealerships since, 1 of switched to Husky, the other is a rental. I am under the impression he sells a fair amount of cutoff saws, but he only had a handful of chainsaws in stock the 2 or 3 times I was there. I brought a few Makita's to this area to tree services and a local logger, buying and selling from ebay several years ago, other then that a few others made it here. I think the nearest dealer is about 30 miles.
Echo's have been more consistent then all but stihl, never very popular with loggers, but you see a fair few with tree care people and farmers.

Here in middle Georgia, Stihl seems to be the most common saw used by pros with Husky 2nd and anything else rare. The landscape guys use Stihl and Echo for trimmers, blowers, etc. That's been my observations.
That said, most logging is done with machines and very few companies are felling trees with saws as a percentage of timber going to the mills. (keep in mind that pine is the primary forest product)

I've seen small gardening companies running echo, efco etc but every hire firm I've been in or full time tree service I've seen(even arb colleges I know) run mainly Stihl.
We do have a few shindaiwa hedgers, they run well too

Seems like mostly Stihl here in SW VA. I believe if we had a dealer for Husqvarna near by there would be more of that. The local fire department, runs at least on Husky cut off saw, I'm not sure about farther east in VA.:D

Back