Newbie here. What else? - I need saw purchase advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sruffner

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I've been lurking here for a couple of months, searching and reading threads on various saws. I'd like to get a little input on a couple of saws.

First, a little background on me: I'm a 'homeowner' user; I grew up using my grandfather's and father's Homelites (don't recall the models), and I had a Mac 10-10 I used for about 15 years. I've recently moved from in-town to "the country" (Central VA mountains) and I need to get new saws to replace the Mac. I found the Mac in the crawlspace under a house I'd bought, with spun bearings, and rebuilt it. That was probably a mistake (not worth what I spent in parts), but it was a strong enough saw to cut nearly everything I needed to cut. I used it mainly for firewood work, and with the fresh chain and bar it worked pretty well. The biggest stuff I cut up with it (16" bar) was some 22" dia. white oak, and it did OK. I got a kick out of the recent Mac 10-10 thread, and yes, it was finding parts - specifically one of those molded rubber gas lines- that made me decide it wasn't worth fooling with anymore. Hard to start, heavy and vibrated like holy heck. I'm sure a 'modern' saw is light years nicer by most measures.

Most of what I need to cut is going to be <18", a mixture of hard and soft woods; every now and then I'm sure something larger will fall where I can't leave it (eg, across the driveway!) until I can get a pro out there, so I'd like to be able to put at least a 20" bar in this saw. I'll have a significant amount of limbing do, so I think I'll really need to get two saws.

I'd like to get a mid-sized saw suitable for general purpose use (yeah, I know from other threads that this is about as broad and impossible to answer a question there is), and then a second, smaller saw for limbing. I'd also like the smaller to be manageable for the GF to use in a pinch. So far, I've bounced around a lot on different saws, but these are the main contenders:

MS260
MS290
346XP

MS361
372XP

and for the small saw

MS180
338XPT

I started out looking at the MS290, which seems nice, but the threads I read on here made me feel as if the 290 weighs as much as the 361, and performs no better than the 260. The 346XP seems like a better "all around" saw, but then, if I'm getting a small saw for lightweight work, the bigger MS361 or 372XP seem to make more sense.

The 338XPT seems like it would be awesome for lightweight work; the displacement seems similar to the other two, and yet it's a good bit lighter. Is there a gotcha here?

The Stihl and Husqvarna dealers are about the same distance away from home, but the Stihl dealer is very near my office. I like to patronize local small business (dealer support) but I also do all my own wrenching, so this really isn't critical; if I need parts, I'm likely going to have them shipped to me. I suppose warranty work has me leaning towards Stihl. In any event: I'm trying to buy a nice enough grade of saw that it will last me a lifetime, assuming no abuse, given that it's not going to see the duty it would if a real professional bought it.

FWIW: I have no dog in this Chevy/Ford thing, so a recommendation to mix the purchases is fine with me too.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Last edited:
From your list I'd say go with the MS 361 and for smaller saw the MS 180. That's a good combo for you + your girl to use.

As a recommendation I would say if money is an object you're worried about then... Step into the Dolmar 5100S. I bought this saw very recently and completely love it. No problems with it plenty of power and was under 400 for me (MS361 $600) 18" bar/chain and 4hp! It's very light compared to many I've picked up and exceptional Anti vibration to boot. You really can't go wrong with this saw.

If money isn't an object then I'd suggest an MS361 for you and an MS260 :chainsaw: for limbing and the girlfriend. That'd make a great combo as well. I say 260 due to it's features as well and of course can't go wrong with a 361 as most can tell you here.

Last edited:
Can we just get a "Speed Button" that enters our vote of the 361 after every question asked.

I'll do it too, but only because I really, really, really like my modded 361, LOL.

If you have the money then just go get it tonight, so you don't get a thread with 4,000 posts that all say 361 in it.

Sam

If you feel like going to Leesburg, you can check out Tom Hall. It would be worth the trip, one kool kat.

703-777-3030, ask for him.

I will tell you I have both the ms260 and ms361 and if you want a good saw to cut wood in the 8''-20'' range the ms361 is a much better saw for that role!! I like the ms260 don't get me wrong but it is better for 10'' and under size trees. Now If you don't have the $$$ I would say buy a ms310 for $400 and that will cut your wood just fine for what you need but I say spend the extra $$ for the Ms361 and you will have a great saw for years to come!!!

Last edited:
Perhaps make this easier and let us know what you feel you can spend on each saw? That will really help this decision a ton.

Perhaps make this easier and let us know what you feel you can spend on each saw? That will really help this decision a ton.

Well, I'd like to spend as little as possible! :)

I am comfortable spending the ~$600 for an MS361 if that's truly the best choice for me. It is probably more saw than I need, but I'm all about buying it once and that's it. I'm not into the disposable stuff, or I'd buy a Wild Thang, run it into the ground and be done with it.

I was tempted by the 5100S recommendation - Amick's seems to have them for <$400. I know nothing about Dolmars though. I have seen a bunch of threads on here about them, generally quite positive.

If the 30% less-expensive Dolmar is close to the 361 in performance, and likely to hold up as well for my lesser use, then hey, I'm not interested in spending extra just to have a label.

For the smaller saw, I'd really like to stay ~$200. My bigger criteria there is that the GF find it manageable. As nice as I think I'd find the MS260 for a limber, she struggles with the cast iron frying pans (no upper body strength at all), so I'd like to go light, light, light. I was looking at electric saws for her, but she wants gas.

I really believe that paying a little more to get the right tool is always worth it - I don't like to be penny-wise and pound-foolish. Time is money, etc., etc., yadda-yadda.

Hope that helps, and again, thanks for your input!

Heh...so, skimming more about the Dolmars: this is a German saw?

Funny, I drive an old BMW, not a SAAB, so I guess having a german saw would fit me, LOL. However, that cylinder lining sounds eerily like the infamous Nikasil coatings BMW used in the early 90s, which had issues with sulfur in our gas, causing a lot of premature engine failures. Do these things have issues with the linings? Just curious.

It sounds like a 361 + an 180 would work well for you. I'm not sure if the 361 has a Nikasil or chrome bore, I don't think it matters all that much in a saw, I personally prefer Nikasil.

Yup BMW replaced thousands of Nikasil engine blocks with pitted bores.

Don't forget to pick up a wild thing. Just in case one of your neighbors
wants to borrow one of your fancy new saw's. :clap:

361 180 is good, I use it myself. 372 180 would also be very good, maybe even a little better. It would give you a little more flexibility. If the 372 is costs less than the 361 go for it.

Latest posts

Back