Pollarding?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JPS,

well said but lets hope that no one changes the definitions uhh? as for dropcrotching definition or your given opinion Im not sure which, I disagree!! large wound on wrong side of collar If done wrong yes!! but not true as a whole.

Not in the case of co-dominant and collarless unions. However the collar tends to be on the trunk and not the branch (defending so that when the branch is cut not vice versa), or more likely on the secondary branch not the primary and in many cases it's the primary that's being cut off to shorten the tree.

heck, this was a bag of worms well and truly opened. :monkey:

I think i understand now. thanks all who have contributed so far!

Drop-crotch is a descriminating reduction that leaves a large wound on the wrong side of the collar. Often large wounds and much sprouting. It can cause decay, but is the lesser of the "evil"

JPS,
It depends whether you are dropping down a long branch to the crotch, as opposed to heading it back, or if you are dropping down the main stem to a branch crotch.

You are saying that the pollard shoot comes from one of many nodes at the end of the current growth rather than being one of many epicormic shoots triggered from the lack of auxins to control them? Is there similar compartmentalization occurring at each node on a twig?

Always out to learn more.

JPS,

You are saying that the pollard shoot comes from one of many nodes at the end of the current growth rather than being one of many epicormic shoots triggered from the lack of auxins to control them? Is there similar compartmentalization occurring at each node on a twig?

Always out to learn more.

They come from the node if the cut is made there. The density of of buds is greater at the node, so you will get better responce, by cutting above one..

At the time of the initial treatment, you will get sprouting all over, but more closer the the cut.

It appears to me that the wound wood will generate new buds, not linked to the pith each year.

You will get budding on both sides of the collar, eg on the pollard head and the base of the shoot. I've used both for next years growth, not knowing which would be best for the plant. What I look for most is angle of attatchemnt if I'm thinning the head in the beginning of the season.

I've started a number of pollards, mostly mulberry. I've only got one set that i take care of left. My buisness modle does not lend it'self well to long term programs.

Latest posts

Back