Ponder these numbers, tree guys---

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ForTheArborist

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
80', old pine with 3.5' trunk width.

4' from one of the fences.

Tree hangs over fences, shacks, gazebo.

Difficult access tree in the back yard.

I estimate 3 days with 3 workers to get it down and out of there.

$400 to the truck and dump
$900 for labor
$600 to the company

$1900 total

Too low or too high?

80', old pine with 3.5' trunk width.

4' from one of the fences.

Tree hangs over fences, shacks, gazebo.

Difficult access tree in the back yard.

I estimate 3 days with 3 workers to get it down and out of there.

$400 to the truck and dump
$900 for labor
$600 to the company

$1900 total

Too low or too high?

3 guys and 3 days for one Pine... I take it this is a real Pine, not a homeowner deemed pine meaning it could be any of the conifer family of trees. Even at 80 feet with rigging everything hard to see 3 days.

Bang it out in a day and a half and your price is spot on. Good luck, and post some photos if you can!

I would charge that per day with 3 guys, equipment, and overhead.

Obviously hard to say what your market is like out there but, if you figure three days thats 24 hours if its three complete days (probably a low estimate for 3 full days of tree work) But either way that only figures for like $80 hr and for 3 people. What you have to figure is $80 enough for you and two workers.

Last edited:
Yeah, but aren't you bringing big equipment like crane, loader, behemoth wood chipper??? :msp_confused:

Crew of 3 just climbers chipper @ truck 1500
With bucket 2000
With bucket, small crane, log truck 2500-3000

Well......I am sure you have insurance......and a truck and chipper.......and pay your guys over the table with worker's comp, etc, etc, and they are legal workers, and you have a maintenance fund for the equipment, and have accounted for the "oops" on the fence, and you have absolutely no desire to make anything on this job if all of these things are in place.....then that's a great price, go for it.

Otherwise I would figure out what it really costs for you to operate, as for me if I priced a job that would REALLY take three days, with my modest arsenal of equipment (14' chip truck, 18" Woodsman chipper for takedowns, little 72' international knuckleboom log truck) and my insurances, and three guys paid decent wages, and the costs of said equipment over time for maintenance.....I would make absolutely no money on that job the way you have priced it. Now, if I slammed that BeAtCh to the ground and had her cleaned up in a day, we'd be talking priced just right.

Hope this added to the confusion :)

Well......I am sure you have insurance......and a truck and chipper.......and pay your guys over the table with worker's comp, etc, etc, and they are legal workers, and you have a maintenance fund for the equipment, and have accounted for the "oops" on the fence, and you have absolutely no desire to make anything on this job if all of these things are in place.....then that's a great price, go for it.

Otherwise I would figure out what it really costs for you to operate, as for me if I priced a job that would REALLY take three days, with my modest arsenal of equipment (14' chip truck, 18" Woodsman chipper for takedowns, little 72' international knuckleboom log truck) and my insurances, and three guys paid decent wages, and the costs of said equipment over time for maintenance.....I would make absolutely no money on that job the way you have priced it. Now, if I slammed that BeAtCh to the ground and had her cleaned up in a day, we'd be talking priced just right.

Very eloquently said and exactly what I was getting at.

Obviously hard to say what your market is like out there but, if you figure three days thats 24 hours if its three complete days (probably a low estimate for 3 full days of tree work) But either way that only figures for like $80 hr and for 3 people. What you have to figure is $80 enough for you and two workers.

Yeah, it's about $80 in pay per worker and then $4 per $10 in workers comp.

I need $200 on top of costs per day for bring the show. I think $200 is too cheap though, but the competition either gets $200 per day on a day job or $300 for a week it seems like. I think they are hiring workers for $40-$60 a day per person, skipping payroll taxes, and skipping workers comp. I don't see how they justify the pitiful little prices on the multiple day jobs. They win the bids though.

Yeah, I figured that's what was up, Bombs. :msp_thumbup:

Those are rough prices per day. The more equipment higher price but can get the job done faster. A co. I worked for in the 90's we did one large oak in a courtyard surrounded by a building. Took 3 days 5 guys and 2 cranes. One crane was subed out 200'. Tree was pieced out and lifted over the building. Co got $12000 for the job. It was at a nursing home so it went through a bidding process. Guess it all depends on the competitions ability.

Now, if I slammed that BeAtCh to the ground and had her cleaned up in a day, we'd be talking priced just right.

I was waiting for that last line. :msp_thumbup:

Let's say you knock it out in 1 day, and you walk with $600 on top of costs for labor, worker comp, city dump costs, and fuel. Is that a good day, average day, or bad day???

Those are rough prices per day. The more equipment higher price but can get the job done faster. A co. I worked for in the 90's we did one large oak in a courtyard surrounded by a building. Took 3 days 5 guys and 2 cranes. One crane was subed out 200'. Tree was pieced out and lifted over the building. Co got $12000 for the job. It was at a nursing home so it went through a bidding process. Guess it all depends on the competitions ability.

My custys melt and ooze out of their pants when I start talking about $900. They start shooting when it gets up to $12k. I get pizzed off about it all of the time.

I was waiting for that last line. :msp_thumbup:

Let's say you knock it out in 1 day, and you walk with $600 on top of costs for labor, worker comp, city dump costs, and fuel. Is that a good day, average day, or bad day???

I would take that 5 days a week for a year. $156000 I could survive on that.

Of course no pics, that would be to helpful and put everything in plain perspective so FTA ain't gonna take any. Another than that and just to sound like I know what I am doing to everybody else I am gonna say MAN, that is cheap! Have fun with that pine tree, ####!

Latest posts

Back